Gout treatment? what kind of food I should eat?

Sandman77

I have tried it all, with Allupurinol AND with out, bottom line go on a low purine diet and drink lots of water.  If you get a flare up eat a handful of dark sweet cherries every 2 hours during the day for 2 days.  The fresh are the best, but dried are ok, I keep a bag on the shelf just for this problem. The pain and flare up will subside.  YOU WILL THANK ME, I AM SURE.  I have had attacks so bad i could not put a sock on, let alone a shoe, please just try it.  Villa Mart, Tops, Big C Extra, they are sometimes hard to find, stock up, trust me, I thought it was b.s., its not.

I don't have gout but I have joints pains very bad at times. I took Indian Aryuvedic herbal pills and it' all gone plus no side effects because it's herbal not chemicals.

I avoid the following drinks and foods (1) Beer (all kinds of beers) but wine or brandy in small amount ok (2) Most fruit juice , e.g. carrot, mango, orange (3) strictly no coffee or tea until completely cured then I drank usually one fourth of a cup and that only occasionally not everyday. (4) No tomatoes, no eggplant (banjo) no cabbage (this cabbage is a killer- all kinds of cabbage, white or green- they aggravate my pain so bad)

Now I am free from pain how wonderful. I was lucky I found out early otherwise things would have been in bad condition. I have seen people not able to walk.

Just look for the Indian Aryuvedic medicine. It works.

Eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains, which provide complex carbohydrates. Avoid foods such as white bread, cakes, candy, sugar-sweetened beverages and products with high-fructose corn syrup.Cut back on saturated fats from red meats, fatty poultry and high-fat dairy products. And drink more water

The  food triggers for gout varies from person to person, yes tomatoes can trigger a gout attack and also mushrooms, as said Red meats and rich foodstuffs (high in purines) shell fish and certain other fish also. Soda is a big no no, and the yeast in beers is a gout trigger.

I started suffering attacks around 35 years old, I tried the cherries and herbal route but to no avail (for me personally) I was put on allopurinol (200mg) yet I was still getting attacks every other month or so (as well as food triggers an attack can be triggered by trauma also) I'd go to the gym then after a week or two an attack would flare up, it started to really get me down, I was by then on 200mg of Allopurinol but i felt it wasn't doing much? If having an attack I was taking Sodium Diclofenac. I then got my Doctor to refer me to a Rheumatologist. 

He put me straight onto 300mg of allopurinol, with regular blood tests to get a picture of my Uric acid levels over a period of time he adjusted this and also switched the diclofenac, if an attack occurred I was to take Naproxen in conjunction with Colchicine (this really shifted it) he explained in more detail about gout and uric acid. Now years later I take 200mg per day of allopurinol, I eat most things and thankfully I can not remember the last time I had an attack.

My advice to people who get gout attacks is when you are not having an attack get on allopurinol, be prepared that it can take between 3-6 months for it to get fully working into your system - persevere with it (you may still get gout attacks within this time but keep taking it) eventually the allopurinol will bring it under control. I keep Naproxen and Colchicine in my medex tin just in case but as said have not needed them in a long time. I also cut right back on fizzy drinks, and eat more healthy food and less crap in general. Pineapple is great to drink along with Pomegranate juice (am sure I read that Grapefruit was a no no for gout) personally tart cherries did not seem to work for me but we are all different and many do say that they have benefits for gout.

I am thinking of reducing my allopurinol to 100mg but will speak with my doc about this first (I no longer need to see the Rheumatologist) Good luck to those who suffer I have been there, those who don't will not know what I mean. Regards

Have suffered with gout for years. All the advice above is great but we are all individuals and what triggers in one will not trigger in another. A couple pieces of information that have been invaluable to me are. Firstly avoid dehydration, I drink at least 3 litres of water a day. Secondly Thais will say to avoid anything that has feathers. It is not the meat that is high in purines it is the MSG that is added in preparation on Thailand. If you cook at home avoid MSG and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have suffered with gout for years. All the advice above is great but we are all individuals and what triggers in one will not trigger in another. A couple pieces of information that have been invaluable to me are. Firstly avoid dehydration, I drink at least 3 litres of water a day. Secondly Thais will say to avoid anything that has feathers. It is not the meat that is high in purines it is the MSG that is added in preparation on Thailand. If you cook at home avoid MSG and you will be fine.

What is MSG ???

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

What is MSG ???

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Apologies I hate people using abbreviations myself without explanation. It is Monosodium glutamate, a white powder that is a common additive in Thai cooking.

If you were to get fried chicken with and without it you can really taste the difference. With me, I avoid it even though it does taste good.