Alcohol tests Pattaya

Bastos60

About 2 weeks ago I was coming back from WS to my condo in Jomtien and ran into a checkpoint.
They had the weirdest breathalyzer, never seen something like it in my country. You had to blow into the direction of 
the breathalyzer but no further instructions were given.  One light actually stayed red all the time and while we waited for the 
result the second light only turned yellow. 
Not sure what that meant but was allowed to continue.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

By theory it should mean that you were under 50 mg (0.5 ‰).

But shouldn't there be a light turning green to verify enough samples were taken or something like that?

At least such devices exist.

"AlcoBlow".

Indeed just blowing directly into the cone at top of the device.

No mouth piece, nothing to put in the mouth.

One light being red all the time sounds like an improper measurement?!

Videos on the net suggest that it would indicate "red" at only 20 mg.

A very basic quick tester. Maybe just used as an indicator whether more elaborate tests have to be done?

I guess even in Thailand it would need more to prosecute a person.

One of a couple videos about "AlcoBlow":

Obviously in the states everything is calibrated and I doubt here.

I do have a question about bac. tests here.  Is there a choice like in the states: blood, breath or urine? What about if you refuse any test?

Edited by bkk6060

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Obviously in the states everything is calibrated

"Obviously." No.

Nearly 400 people were convicted of driving while intoxicated in the District since fall 2008 based on inaccurate results from breath test machines, and half of them went to jail, city officials said Wednesday.

--DWI Convictions Due to Faulty Breathalyzer Calibration

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

"Obviously." No.

Nearly 400 people were convicted of driving while intoxicated in the District since fall 2008 based on inaccurate results from breath test machines, and half of them went to jail, city officials said Wednesday.

h

--DWI Convictions Due to Faulty Breathalyzer Calibration

Like I said they are calibrated. Nothing was commented about a 7 year old story in one place. Some people are so insecure. Better luck next time

Edited by bkk6060

So what's the process? I assume that they quick-test you, and if the test is positive, they ask you to park on the side of the road, where they will "offer" you to perform a real test or otherwise make a one-time contribution to the police pension fund?

21 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

or otherwise make a one-time contribution to the police pension fund?

Don't be too optimistic that this works at a proper checkpoint.

Real story: caught on Friday evening on 3rd road.

Locked up at police station.

40'000 Baht bail. He managed to call friends to bail him out for the weekend.

Monday morning to court.

10'000 Baht fine.

No blacklisting or the like.

That was last year.

NOT me!

On 5/15/2017 at 0:39 AM, SiamBeast said:

So what's the process? I assume that they quick-test you, and if the test is positive, they ask you to park on the side of the road, where they will "offer" you to perform a real test or otherwise make a one-time contribution to the police pension fund?

Basically yes but the second test using a fresh mouthpiece on the calibrated machine with a full explanation given while it runs the pre-test calibration is not optional. Up until a few months ago, only after a positive test on the calibrated machine was there an opportunity offered to negotiate a 'contribution', something between 10,000 and 20,000 baht being examples. However, from what I have heard more recently, this option is seldom offered but won't even be mentioned if the police check has an army contingent attached.

On 15.5.2017 at 10:20 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Monday morning to court.

10'000 Baht fine.

That was last year.

NOT me!

They were at it Sunday night at the Thappraya / Pratamnak intersection.

I got word that the contribution solution worked, 10k.

Knowing the hassle of procedures, I think this is still a good deal and would do the same in such a situation.

But act quickly and ask to see the checkpoint boss before anything is written on paper, don't wait for an invitation.

Edited by manarak

the blow in the direction machine i think is just an indicator as to whether or not there is alcohol on your breath,if that proves positive more test will be done and then you will be done,if not positive you will be ask to go on your way. its just a way of speeding things up for everyone.

On 15/05/2017 at 10:20 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Monday morning to court.

10'000 Baht fine.

That was last year.

NOT me!

work colleague (foreigner) went through the same 3 weeks ago except his bail was 30k and he had the cash on him.

same 10k fine.

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

work colleague (foreigner) went through the same 3 weeks ago except his bail was 30k and he had the cash on him.

same 10k fine.

So I guess to avoid a possible shank job in jail keep 30 to 40,000 b on you at all times...

There are also stories of guys bikes, ID's, passports being held for ransom.

I have driven buzzed and it is stupid.  Now, after dark I just leave my motorbike at home and walk/take taxi/tuk tuk. Lots less stress and worry.   

Just now, bkk6060 said:

So I guess to avoid a possible shank job in jail keep 30 to 40,000 b on you at all times...

There are also stories of guys bikes, ID's, passports being held for ransom.

I have driven buzzed and it is stupid.  Now, after dark I just leave my motorbike at home and walk/take taxi/tuk tuk. Lots less stress and worry.   

Best deal to avoid a shank job in jail is to catch a taxi/baht bus/mototaxi.

Cheaper too !!

On 2017-5-12 at 8:47 PM, bkk6060 said:

Like I said they are calibrated. Nothing was commented about a 7 year old story in one place. Some people are so insecure. Better luck next time

He's only stating a point to u. No need to get sarcastic.

Anyway this is Thailand not usa so we don't care ???

Edited by Sooo Upto Me
Not finished

AAAAh yes,,, the Thai only version of a, "breathalizer",,,, Texas Instraments calculator, batteries held in with duct tape,,, and a McDonalds drink straw duct taped to the top of it,,, It'll read, ".07" or ANYTHING they want,, ALL night long,,,,,,, 5555555555 Happened to me once,, I REFUSED to blow into it,, said,, "I'll blow at station"... was man-handled a bit,,, it was shoved into my mouth again,,, Again,, I refused,, said I'd blow at the station,,, next thing I knew,, I was standing alone next to my scooter,, I simply drove home,,,, 

Edited by Adeeos
text

5 minutes ago, Adeeos said:

AAAAh yes,,, the Thai only version of a, "breathalizer",,,, Texas Instraments calculator, batteries held in with duct tape,,, and a McDonalds drink straw duct taped to the top of it,,, It'll read, ".07" or ANYTHING they want,, ALL night long,,,,,,, 5555555555 Happened to me once,, I REFUSED to blow into it,, said,, "I'll blow at station"... was man-handled a bit,,, it was shoved into my mouth again,,, Again,, I refused,, said I'd blow at the station,,, next thing I knew,, I was standing alone next to my scooter,, I simply drove home,,,, 

...and then you woke up?

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...and then you woke up?

Yes,,, Yes I did about 5 hours later,,, and was SOOOO glad,, I had a real life,, and my entire life wasn't all about trolling posts on TVF,,, and sitting in front of a keyboard,, HOPING, PRAYING someone was,,, "wrong" on the internet,,,, AND praying,, my fat, old Thai, "wife" and her family,,, would never figure out I was worth more dead,, than alive

Edited by Adeeos

28 minutes ago, Adeeos said:

nice story but, nah not even close.