Work permit required for voluntary work?

Thank you everyone. I have been googling like mad but finding mixed responses and could not find any definite information from a credible website. It's just the company said to me that as I will only be in the country for no more than 90 days I will not need a work permit. I understand many places 'employ' people illegally to avoid the costs. It is crazy how much you have to go through/pay for just to do some volunteering!

4 hours ago, scarlett111 said:

Thank you everyone. I have been googling like mad but finding mixed responses and could not find any definite information from a credible website. It's just the company said to me that as I will only be in the country for no more than 90 days I will not need a work permit. I understand many places 'employ' people illegally to avoid the costs. It is crazy how much you have to go through/pay for just to do some volunteering!

Yes. There are people participating in illegal activities. But you seem to be considering joining them. Would you do something illegal in your own country? Also be aware that, many 'volunteering' places claim to be not for profit but turnover huge amounts of money and therefore, can't be trusted as their accounts are never revealed. 

Yes you legally need a work permit and a job offer from a Thai company.or legal Thai NGO

Be aware there are "missionary" groups who will tell you otherwise, and say you can do "free" voluntary work without a work permit but don't believe that'

As the Bible says the Devil speaks all human toungrs, don't listen to his lies.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
Added a comment

• 3 weeks later...

I will be volunteering in Chiang Mai at an elephant sanctuary but also teaching English at the local school/. When I questioned my research online about the law I was told: " this is a law that is not enforced here. you actually cannot even apply for the work permit until the last 30 days of your non-o volunteer visa, so even if you were to pay extra to get the work permit, by the time you have it you would be ready to go home. "

The company is in Northern Thailand- about 4 hours from Chiang Mai.

The "voluntourism" attractions sometimes skirt the law when they give tourists a special pass for a little extra money and tell them that they are "ecotourists". But if you are teaching English whether you are paid in smiles or baht, you must get a permit.

Edited by Ruffian Dick

51 minutes ago, scarlett111 said:

you actually cannot even apply for the work permit until the last 30 days of your non-o volunteer visa,

This is a (presumably deliberate) falsehood. They hope you will confuse applying for a work permit with applying for an extension of stay. In fact, the correct procedure is to apply for the work permit before you even have the Non O visa, and to use the receipt from the labor department to acknowledge an application for work permit has been made as part of the supporting documentation when requesting the Non O visa in the first place. Immediately on return with your visa, you are the supposed to complete acquiring the work permit before doing any volunteering.

It may be true that immigration and the labor department turn a blind eye to certain kinds of volunteer work, but I would not personally take the risk, particularly with an organization that is telling you lies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scarlett111 said:

I will be volunteering in Chiang Mai at an elephant sanctuary but also teaching English at the local school/. When I questioned my research online about the law I was told: " this is a law that is not enforced here. you actually cannot even apply for the work permit until the last 30 days of your non-o volunteer visa, so even if you were to pay extra to get the work permit, by the time you have it you would be ready to go home. "

The company is in Northern Thailand- about 4 hours from Chiang Mai.

You need a work permit for both jobs.