Thailand sends written response to US over trade-deficit concerns

webfact

Thailand sends written response to US over trade-deficit concerns 
By   THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE COMMERCE Ministry has sent a response to the United States defending Thailand’s trade surplus, saying it accounts for only 1.5 per cent of America’s overall trade deficit and is based on differences in economic structure, not from discrimination or unfair policies.

Pimchanok Vonkorpon, spokeswoman for the ministry, said the Cabinet acknowledged Thailand’s draft clarification letter at its meeting last Tuesday. 

The US Federal Register’s Executive Order 13786 had requested comments that would be gathered for an analytical report on the US trade deficits against 13 economies. They are in descending order Canada, China, the European Union, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.

The deadline for the written responses had been next Wednesday, but the Commerce and Foreign ministries revised the draft letter according to points made by the Cabinet and the Commerce Ministry has already sent the final letter to the US agency ahead of schedule.

The Commerce Ministry had been assigned by Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak to coordinate with both private and public agencies to collect US-Thailand trade and economic information for the clarification letter. 

The letter attempts to explain the facts for a good bilateral relationship along several dimensions including social, political and stability, while stressing the long US-Thai relationship of 184 years. 

A US-Thai treaty of amity serves as the main pillar for the relationship with discussion stages under the Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (Tifa) and the World Trade Organisation (WTO) to solve trade obstacles.

According to the statement, US exports to Thailand have not expanded at a high level as the US does not have a free-trade agreement with Thailand, while US direct investment in Thailand has slowed down. 

The Thai products that the US imports help develop the American economy, the ministry argues. They include intermediate products |for value to be added by US advanced technology and agricultural materials.

Thailand has also invested more in the US, generating jobs for tens of thousands of Americans, while many US firms invest and operate services in Thailand. 

Thailand is the regional export base for several US firms and links up with US value chains in the Asia-Pacific region. 

Thai exports to the US reflect structural differences and mutual dependence between the Thai and US economies, the ministry said. 

Pimchanok said that besides factual figures on both countries’ trade and investment, Thailand explained that its trade policy adhered to the principles of a market economy, which is in line with the WTO’s tariff and non-tariff measures.

Under Tifa, the two countries have held discussions particularly on the protection of intellectual property, while Thailand provides updated information and accelerates measures regarding licences, trademarks and the backlog of patent applications. 

Thailand has also cooperated with the US Trade Representative office to devise an IP working plan focusing on protection and legal enforcement. 

Thailand also presented a progress report on worker protection and labour rights.

Thailand reiterated that none of its policies interferes with exchange rates to give the country an unfair export capability. The Bank of Thailand focuses on exchange-rate stability.

In the letter, Thailand outlined its internal reforms, such as amending laws, including for competition and state procurement, for higher transparency, increasing stakeholders’ participation and supporting more facilitation for business operations.

The “Thailand 4.0” and Eastern Economic Corridor visions will also help deepen the Thai-US trade and investment relationship, it said.

Pimchanok said the clarification letter presented a good opportunity to point out the good, long Thai-US mutual relationship. 

After a telephone discussion between Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and US President Donald Trump, the two leaders are expected to meet and discuss issues in the future, she added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30314920

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-12

1 hour ago, trogers said:

Not discrimination? Does the US tax all Thai made products at 100% like the Thais do? The US should...

Tax our products at 100%, and the US should do the same to Thai imports to the USA. 100% import tax on clothing would get their attention pretty quickly.

The Americans don't understand. Everything is fair when it's part of the 'culture'.

Culture; the thing that countries who don't want to adhere to universal rights and wrongs fall back on when called out. 

Dear  Donald , We will try to buy more of your countries products,

you are invited to open your own golf club here 100% ownership,

very sorry will try harder, if you had cheap Subs we would buy some.

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
add on

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The letter attempts to explain the facts for a good bilateral relationship along several dimensions including social, political and stability, while stressing the long US-Thai relationship of 184 years. 

Thailand wanting a free ride and using the 184 year relationship again.  That never gets old.  The whole stability, Thailand's unique problems thing is a crock too.   It is shameless to say such things.  Will be interesting to see if Trump buys it. 

29 minutes ago, zakk9 said:

Do the USA manufacture anything that anybody would want to buy?

Not at a 100% duty.    Construction machinery is one thing.  Genie lifts sell well in other parts of Asia.  Honestly, nobody wanted to finance manufacturing in the US, instead banks focused on car and home loans.  

Edited by yellowboat

6 hours ago, zakk9 said:

No, they are a tiny country with no significance in the world.  The USA has not invented anything worth mentioning, not even what you used to write this, or send this message.  Now take a nap.  I know writing that complex thought exhausted you. And, it's "Does the USA..." by the way.  Do shot for me too!  :spamsign:

Edited by Redline

Chinese tanks, Chinese submarines, Swedish Grippens Ukrainian APCs and don't the police use Austrian Glochs ? Well boys should have thought about where they bought their toys or perhaps the price was the deciding factor. 

44 minutes ago, Redline said:

No, they are a tiny country with no significance in the world.  The USA has not invented anything worth mentioning, not even what you used to write this, or send this message.  Now take a nap.  I know writing that complex thought exhausted you. And, it's "Does the USA..." by the way.  Do shot for me too!  :spamsign:

The USA is not a tiny country, last time I checked.  What has changed? 

4 hours ago, Redline said:

How come my Dell has a "made in china" sticker on it?

British people with the same, in the 1970s we had a buy British campaign i'm people used to go out and buy overpriced crap, and laugh and other people who bought Toyota cars.

Sent from my nose.

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

I think what was being said was America invented the computer, but that is not true and another movie story. The computer was first invented by Charles Babbage at Bletchley Park. Colossus was a set of computers developed by British codebreakers in 1943–1945 to help break German codes. That is why we rule the world even today in code braking (GCHQ).

As for the sticker on the Dell like most things today its made where cheap labour is.

USA a small country, that must be in the minds of small people who did not get much of an education at school.

There is a small country involved in this comment but its not the USA as that country will find out over the next two years as free trade hits the headlines.

Not a fan of Donald's after seeing him perform on Television here last night, but hope he has the balls to slap 100% or what ever it is on certain supplied goods.

Edited by wakeupplease

8 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

USA a small country, that must be in the minds of small people who did not get much of an education at school.

I dont know who invented the computers but my guess is they are just automated calculators and they came from Japan many moons ago. Internet was an invention of the US army.

But i don't think they US is so big, 350 million americans only which is the same as Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand together. China is 5 times bigger, even India or Europe or Africa all have a much larger population.

20 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I dont know who invented the computers but my guess is they are just automated calculators and they came from Japan many moons ago. Internet was an invention of the US army.

But i don't think they US is so big, 350 million americans only which is the same as Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand together. China is 5 times bigger, even India or Europe or Africa all have a much larger population.

Oh my japan made them, so Charles Babbage at Bletchley Park and  Colossus that broke the German code of the Enigma machines did not happen OK I will go with fact though. In those days the Japanese where not what they are today and used abacuses

Internet was an invention of the US army?

Try putting Tim Berners-Lee into google and you will see who got the net working and again he is a Brit.

But i don't think they US is so big, 350 million americans

I was talking about their fire power and nukes not the amount of people

I hope that helps

3 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Internet was an invention of the US army?

Here is a good review of development of the internet:

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001016.htm

Tim Berners-Lee introduced WWW to the public on August 6, 1991 that made the internet available for everyone on August 23, 1991. The World Wide Web (WWW) is what most people today consider the "Internet" or a series of sites and pages that are connected with links. Tim certainly broadened the usability of the internet beyond the list of limited internet users, ie., researchers and scientists. But clearly he did not originate the internet.

And what would the worldwide web be without an internet browser?

The US National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) in 1992 developed the first global web browser that was released in 1993. http://www.livinginternet.com/w/wi_mosaic.htm

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2017 at 6:30 PM, fruitman said:

We will let you figure that one out on your own.  If you get stuck, there are lots of good people here on TV to give you advice, knowledge and support

Do a check on import tariffs imposed on goods going into La La Land and when you see the 300% mark up it will bring tears to your eyes.

I never knew the USA was a tiny country until today, (I know you are taking the P>>> red and funny)

I just have one correction Computers where invented in the UK by a Mr Babbage + at  Bletchley Park during the second world war, it was this that helped brake the German Enigma machine with the help of a genius called Alan Touring.

OK I am off to play with my Apple Mac and Iphone, then go for a drive in my 66 Mustang, I may pop into MacDonald's or KFC then have a coffee at Startbucks.

have a nice day

On 13/05/2017 at 3:43 AM, Srikcir said:

Here is a good review of development of the internet:

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001016.htm

Tim Berners-Lee introduced WWW to the public on August 6, 1991 that made the internet available for everyone on August 23, 1991. The World Wide Web (WWW) is what most people today consider the "Internet" or a series of sites and pages that are connected with links. Tim certainly broadened the usability of the internet beyond the list of limited internet users, ie., researchers and scientists. But clearly he did not originate the internet.

And what would the worldwide web be without an internet browser?

The US National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) in 1992 developed the first global web browser that was released in 1993. http://www.livinginternet.com/w/wi_mosaic.htm

You said it yourself sunshine

Tim was the first to send what we call  packets www is the internet today is it not.

Not everything you google is fact try doing it 3 times and compare

some people can read but understanding some times is not an option.

back to school for reading and understanding practise I think

4 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

You said it yourself sunshine

Tim was the first to send what we call  packets www is the internet today is it not.

Not everything you google is fact try doing it 3 times and compare

some people can read but understanding some times is not an option.

back to school for reading and understanding practise I think

Internet comes from Arpanet which is from the US Army.

http://www.livescience.com/20727-internet-history.html

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Internet comes from Arpanet which is from the US Army.

http://www.livescience.com/20727-internet-history.html

Another American Movie watcher

Hey non of these films out of Hollywood are real just made up stories, you know just like the rubbish on local TV.

I can write a page and stick in on line in 10 minutes and I guess you would believe it. When its written by an Amercian be carfull

Who the hell is this guy then

Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee OM KBE FRS FREng FRSA FBCS (born 8 June 1955),[1] also known as TimBL, is an English computer scientist, best known as the inventor of the World Wide Web.