Mail Delivery Problems

doctormann

I live on the dark side - Soi Khaotalo - and have received no mail, either local or international for the last month.  This is not normal - usually receive at least two or three items per week.

I know for a fact that at least three items were posted to me from UK, four weeks ago.  No sign of any of them.  Even my ToT bill didn' t arrive last month.  What's going on - are we still suffering from post-Songkran disruption?  I'm in the 20150 post code area - but 20260 has also worked in the past.

Anyone else out there having similar problems?

i have had problems for 10 years or more.I have had the manager from Jomtien come and visit.Still problems..All you can do is phone Jomtien office and make an appointment when you will be at home .The problem for us darksiders is that ems mail comes from Naklua and all other mail from jomtien

1 hour ago, p414 said:

i have had problems for 10 years or more.I have had the manager from Jomtien come and visit.Still problems..All you can do is phone Jomtien office and make an appointment when you will be at home .The problem for us darksiders is that ems mail comes from Naklua and all other mail from jomtien

Our delivery service has been generally OK until very recently so I don't know what's happened.

Is the Jomptien office the one in Soi 5 or the one on Suhhumvit?

It might be the Banglamung sorting office holding stuff back. For reasons unknown they often keep mail for weeks after it’s arrived here before delivering it. I just received two PIN numbers from my bank in Jersey that were sent from the UK at least two weeks apart, but were delivered to my house on the same day.

A few years ago they used to stamp the date they received mail on the envelopes. I noticed with Christmas cards that I’d get three or four delivered at once, but the Banglamung office dates might be ten days or two weeks apart. So don’t give up hope.

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

Yep, I'm also awaiting four packages from the UK. Unusual as almost anything I order normally arrives within 10 days. Been 15 days already but no show.

I've known things to take 2-3 weeks, unless sent by EMS, but to take more than a month is very unusual.  I suspect that Songkran and Easter haven't exactly helped.  Still living in hope  - or is that desperation!  

I was told that they are short-staffed. I was getting a trickle of mail for the past month or so and then the other day the guy shows up with a whole stack, including statements from Bangkok Bank, some of which were 3 weeks old. 

I recently had a parcel from the UK that took 6 weeks to arrive and when it did arrive it was stamped "MISSENT TO TAIPEI" which struck me as somewhat odd since the address was written clearly and most mail from the UK has the address scanned by computer and then sorted/directed based on the scan.

At the same time a book sent via Amazon also failed to arrive. The online tracking details stated that it was "Carded" even though we never received a card, and then below it kinda weirdly stated: 'Delivery Status Carded, Address not clear, No Recipient". So, 1) Where would they have left the card if they couldn't read the address? 2) Has anyone known Amazon to send stuff out with unclear addresses or no recipient? 3) After one week it was apparently sent to Bang Rak in Bangkok where some Thai dude working for the Post Office signed for it and the Delivery Status was "Successful".

I recently checked at the Naklua PO and you can get a PO box there for 500 baht per year. Maybe that's the way to go for important stuff...

When I lived in Hua Hin and followed the popular online forum there it was said by a few folks that when their regular mail man was ill or on vacation nobody filled in for them and the mail just piled up in the post office.  ISTR there was one situation where a mail carrier quit/retired/was fired and not replaced and local residents had to go to a room on the 2F of the post office and comb through a *pile* (i.e. unorganized mess) of undelivered mail.  Maybe something similar is occurring here?  

11 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

When I lived in Hua Hin and followed the popular online forum there it was said by a few folks that when their regular mail man was ill or on vacation nobody filled in for them and the mail just piled up in the post office.  ISTR there was one situation where a mail carrier quit/retired/was fired and not replaced and local residents had to go to a room on the 2F of the post office and comb through a *pile* (i.e. unorganized mess) of undelivered mail.  Maybe something similar is occurring here?  

Well, I hope not, but I seem to recall at least one occasion, several years ago, where a quantity of mail was found in a ditch - dumped because the postie was too idle to deliver it.  There was another occasion where a load of mail was found in a postie's house - again because he couldn't be bothered to deliver it.  I don't recall where either of these incidents took place - may not have been Pattaya.

It does seem that the only way to 'guarantee' delivery is to use EMS or a courier service.  I always use EMS for outgoing mail but, of course, there is no way of ensuring that senders will use it.  You can suggest it but it costs more of course so they may well not take the option.

Thanks to everyone that replied - still living in hope here!