Company land under investigation after hundreds of trees destroyed

webfact

Company land under investigation after hundreds of trees destroyed

Phuket Gazette 

pkt2.jpeg

Hundreds of trees on a 100-rai tract of land were cut down in Koh Lanta Nai. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

KRABI: -- A walled, 100-rai tract of land on Koh Lanta Noi is under investigation after the title holders ordered that hundreds of trees be cut down.

More than 30 officials from the Wetland Development Office (WDO) inspected the site yesterday. 

WDO chief Laywisit Baripan said that machines were used to fill up the land after the trees were destroyed. 

“A man named Poom Srijan, who works on site, told us that for the past six months he had been employed by a large pharmaceutical manufacturer to guard the land,” said Mr Laywisit.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Company-land-investigation-hundreds-trees-destroyed/66582?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-05-12

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“A man named Poom Srijan, who works on site, told us that for the past six months he had been employed by a large pharmaceutical manufacturer to guard the land,” said Mr Laywisit.

Could clearing the land be an early indicator that they're really going to legalize weed?

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

Well it appears that it is illegal to cut down trees on your own land as far as I know. It doesn't matter what sort of title you have.

I guess it is different if it is an expiring rubber plantation.

Depends on what type of trees there are, permission and official is required for Teak, not sure on others?

I once found a beautiful small piece of wooded land for a good price. I really wanted to have that land even if it was in my wife's name. A helpful government employee told me that buying that land would be no good for anything except maybe a picnic because it was against the law to cut any of the trees even to make a suitable clearing to build anything.