Big Hole In Sukhumvit

rak sa_ngop

I have been watching the progress on the big hole being dug alongside the Chalerm Mahanakhon Expressway. You can observe the site from the elevated walkway bridge close the bottom of Sukhumvit Soi 2 (no access to walkway from Soi 2). The hole is concrete lined and judging by the waiting concrete blocks it has a way to go. If not a missle silo what is it's purpose??

Merry Xmas.

I have been watching the progress on the big hole being dug alongside the Chalerm Mahanakhon Expressway. You can observe the site from the elevated walkway bridge close the bottom of Sukhumvit Soi 2 (no access to walkway from Soi 2). The hole is concrete lined and judging by the waiting concrete blocks it has a way to go. If not a missle silo what is it's purpose??

Merry Xmas.

Heard about it too.

There's a guy diggin' for diamonds:

MERRY XMAS !

LaoPo

I went to check out 'the big hole' again' and it is probably related to the drainage tunnel as described in the newspaper clip below.

The circular concrete-lined hole is about 10 metres in diameter and is currently 30 metres deep (according to a site worker).

"Bangkok’s underground drainage tunnel will be opened in September next year

Bangkok’s underground drainage tunnel being built as part of a long-term flood prevention plan will be opened in September next year.

Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin (อภิรักษ์ โกษะโยธิน) said the tunnel, which is 35 metres deep into the ground, will drain water from Makkasan pond into the Chao Phraya river. Construction costs about two billion baht, Mr. Apirak said.

He said the tunnel will help prevent flooding in the inner city and several main roads because it has the capacity to pump 45 million cubic meters of water per second.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 August 2006"

Happy New Year

He said the tunnel will help prevent flooding in the inner city and several main roads because it has the capacity to pump 45 million cubic meters of water per second.

This has been discussed before? :o

Yes it has.

It's interesting however to view the work in progress from the walkway bridge, assuming that this work is related to the drainage tunnel.

That is quite an amount for drainage project. Let's see at the generous rate of 200 Baht, a day, per worker, for one year, that would mean that there are at least 27,397,260 workers on the project for one year. That would mean that one third of Bangkok's population is busy digging or working on this project. Oh I forgot the materials! How silly of me !!!!! Could someone verify that figure for us.

That is quite an amount for drainage project. Let's see at the generous rate of 200 Baht, a day, per worker, for one year, that would mean that there are at least 27,397,260 workers on the project for one year. That would mean that one third of Bangkok's population is busy digging or working on this project. Oh I forgot the materials! How silly of me !!!!! Could someone verify that figure for us.

A 10 meter diameter tunnel through a completely urban environment for what, 20 km? 60 million US is probably a deal. Something like that would be probably be close to 100 million anywhere in the west.

In Asia, as opposed to the west, material and equipment tend to cost more than labor.

If your point is was there a cut taken, that goes without saying.

TH