Driving from Bangkok to Mukdahan/savnakhet, any tips?

9 hours ago, memooz said:

Hi Guys

I would like to remind you that, there is a flight between Ubon to ChiangMai.. KAN Air..

without touching to BKK. i found it very helpfull. Just bear in mind

Not anymore. As far as I know KAN air has shut down all of its operations.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not anymore. As far as I know KAN air has shut down all of its operations.

I had heard that also, but their website is up and they are selling tickets. Google also shows their daily flight as operational.

On 5/13/2017 at 6:51 PM, Doiger said:

Very easy to find, just before the main entrance to the border, it is on the left, 2 minute walk from the car park to immigration.

before you go through immigration, buy your 50 baht bus ticket to get across the bridge, the little kiosk is right next to immigration on the left.

remember and take cash(1500 baht) and a photograph for you visa on arrival in Laos.

"remember and take cash(1500 baht)" - that depends on nationality and it is always cheaper to pay in crisp new USD.

Just  got back from  mukdahan stayed in the bus station hotel you can leave your car there if you stay one night caught the bus over to laos but go early because if there are any holdups the embassy closes dead on 11am  there are plenty of places to stay in laos but some aren't real flash check them out first  the embassy staff are great as long  as you have all your paper work i copied  mine over the road cheap!  picked up my visa the next day no hassles no line up very easy not like Vientiane 

We went to Mukdahan a few weeks back, took the train to Udon and hired a car, in Mukdahan by mid day. We stayed at the Riverfront Hotel, quite pleasant and reasonable at around 800 baht a night, its on Agoda. They have a covered car park at the rear.

I wasn't going to the border, just a bit of sightseeing, drove up to NP and then back to Udon.

Ubonjoe is correct, Kan Air is for now (maybe permanently) not flying.  They had 3 planes; the ATR 72 which they used for long distance flights like CNX - UBP route, the 6 seat Beechcraft Premier 1 which I flew on from CNX - HHQ (certainly unprofitable flying 6 pax paying as low as 1900฿ each) and the Cessna Caravan which they were using to fly to Pai, Mae Hong Son, CR etc.  I don't know what they did with the Premier, but the ATR has a problem with a prop and they haven't fixed it for almost 2 months so they were down to the Caravan and now that also has an issue with one of the propellers.  Since they are actively fishing around looking for a deep pocketed investor, I suspect the current competitive climate they are in is unsustainable long term unless they expand or somehow change their business model. There is a notice on their website stating that "...We are unable to provide services at this time..."

https://www.kanairlines.com/web/

Edited by kanook
add info

I recommend the Avalon hotel in Savan, about 500 THB per night. 3 minute walk from the bus terminal upon arrival from the bridge and 10 minutes walk to the Thai consulate.

They have small cafe where you can get a decent breakfast.

If you like walking it's only 15 minutes to the riverside or 25 to downtown, there are plenty of samlors parked up by the bus terminal if it's raining or you don' like to walk.

The free open air parking open on the left just before Immigration, I've never had any issues with when staying in Savan for 3 or 4 days.

From BKK I  go Hwy 1 then onto Hwy 2, turn right onto the 207 and then 202 upto Yasothorn, you'll see the signs to Muk' from there, about 8-9 hours depending on conditions ,  number of stops and traffic.

Thought i would tag my experience of driving from BKK to Savannakhet and getting a Non O visa here as the OP may drive also.

- Left BKK 07.00am last Wednesday 17th with co-pilot (my wife), drove via Saraburi, Khorat, Yasothon to Mukdahan. Arrived at the friendship bridge at 17:00pm, the drive was not bad at all, although several very heavy thunderstorms slowed us considerably and I made a wrong turn costing 40 minutes. Only one police checkpoint on the way, however this was a rolling check of vehicles so just s snails pace through the checkpoint.

- Parked the truck at the bridge paying B500 for 2 nights, waited for the Officer to return to his desk for VOA, paid 35USD, but several dollar bills were refused as they had tiny knicks in the note. They will accept only bills in very good condition. Though into Loas and took B250 minivan to hotel arriving 18:30pm ish.

- We stayed at VIvanouk hotel, less than 50m from the "nightmarket" and stones throw from the river. Would stay there again.

- Up to the consulate at 09:00am Thursday, requested Multi Entry Non O visa:

* Passport with copies of ID page, Laos entry stamp with TM, Thai exit stamp.

* Copy of Marriage certificate (front and back on 2 sheets) and original which was returned.

* House book copy.

* Wife's ID copy.

* Non O form with photos and THB5K.

Out of the consulate before 10.00am 

- Friday 14.00pm, picked up my visa within 10 minutes and back through into Thailand at 15:00pm (paid B300 from hotel to Consulate then to the border). Drove from Mukdahan back to BKK arriving at 01:30am. Again, one checkpoint but no hassle.

All in all, a thankfully non-eventful trip, I should add the Thai consulate staff were very polite and efficient.

Again, a thank you to Ubon Joe and others who passed advice on documents etc before i left BKK.

Regards,

James.d

Edited by james.d
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2017 at 1:51 AM, SunsetT said:

There are flights between Nakhon Phanom and Chiang Mai with Nokair. 2 hours from NKP to Mukdahan by bus or minibus. Or cross the bridge to Thakhek at NKP and get the bus to Savannakhet- 3hrs.

No, bub, there aren't, not direct. You have to fly back to Don Mueang and change. Dunno where you got your info from but it's wrong if you're implying that there is a direct flight.

2 hours ago, batam said:

No, bub, there aren't, not direct. You have to fly back to Don Mueang and change. Dunno where you got your info from but it's wrong if you're implying that there is a direct flight.

Edited by SunsetT

2 hours ago, batam said:

How stupid of me! You are right. I was getting mixed up with the direct flights between Udon and Chiang Mai.   I apologise for misleading anyone

On 15/05/2017 at 1:31 PM, sandyf said:

We went to Mukdahan a few weeks back, took the train to Udon and hired a car, in Mukdahan by mid day. We stayed at the Riverfront Hotel, quite pleasant and reasonable at around 800 baht a night, its on Agoda. They have a covered car park at the rear.

I wasn't going to the border, just a bit of sightseeing, drove up to NP and then back to Udon.

Can recommend Riverfront Hotel too. Excellent value and a nice varied buffet breakfast.

• Like 1

Make your first point of call to Mr Fixer on the other side of the road to the consulate.  He will do a printed copy of your application form so it is all correct and, may be able to turn around your application the same day.  Well worth it as it saves abandoning your car and having to tolerate an overnight stop in that dump. 

11 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Make your first point of call to Mr Fixer on the other side of the road to the consulate.  He will do a printed copy of your application form so it is all correct and, may be able to turn around your application the same day.  Well worth it as it saves abandoning your car and having to tolerate an overnight stop in that dump. 

Where have you heard or seen reports of a one day turnaround? Wont happen.

Edited by jeab1980

12 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Whatever you say jeab.

I was mearly asking for your proof of your statement as ive been to Savannakhet on numerous occasions and used said coffe man to do paper work and never once have i been offered a one day service by them.

21 hours ago, james.d said:

Thought i would tag my experience of driving from BKK to Savannakhet and getting a Non O visa here as the OP may drive also.

- Left BKK 07.00am last Wednesday 17th with co-pilot (my wife), drove via Saraburi, Khorat, Yasothon to Mukdahan. Arrived at the friendship bridge at 17:00pm, the drive was not bad at all, although several very heavy thunderstorms slowed us considerably and I made a wrong turn costing 40 minutes. Only one police checkpoint on the way, however this was a rolling check of vehicles so just s snails pace through the checkpoint.

- Parked the truck at the bridge paying B500 for 2 nights, waited for the Officer to return to his desk for VOA, paid 35USD, but several dollar bills were refused as they had tiny knicks in the note. They will accept only bills in very good condition. Though into Loas and took B250 minivan to hotel arriving 18:30pm ish.

- We stayed at VIvanouk hotel, less than 50m from the "nightmarket" and stones throw from the river. Would stay there again.

- Up to the consulate at 09:00am Thursday, requested Multi Entry Non O visa:

* Passport with copies of ID page, Laos entry stamp with TM, Thai exit stamp.

* Copy of Marriage certificate (front and back on 2 sheets) and original which was returned.

* House book copy.

* Wife's ID copy.

* Non O form with photos and THB5K.

Out of the consulate before 10.00am 

- Friday 14.00pm, picked up my visa within 10 minutes and back through into Thailand at 15:00pm (paid B300 from hotel to Consulate then to the border). Drove from Mukdahan back to BKK arriving at 01:30am. Again, one checkpoint but no hassle.

All in all, a thankfully non-eventful trip, I should add the Thai consulate staff were very polite and efficient.

Again, a thank you to Ubon Joe and others who passed advice on documents etc before i left BKK.

Regards,

James.d

Just checking as info varies 

* I plan to park car for 2 nights

* That would be old TM for exiting Thai

* Ok you used 2 sheets I am amazed they accepted them as they usually demand on 1 the way the original is 

& i just need to confirm that is the bus the only way to get across the bridge - as i read it is a bit hectic - Will be travelling with wife & young lad probably with a biggish bag to put some gifts in

22 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

* Ok you used 2 sheets I am amazed they accepted them as they usually demand on 1 the way the original is 

& i just need to confirm that is the bus the only way to get across the bridge - as i read it is a bit hectic - Will be travelling with wife & young lad probably with a biggish bag to put some gifts in

No problem for parking the car.

No need for your old departure card for Thailand. Nothing is needed to prove your departure from here including the stamp.

It does not matter whether it is on 2 sheets or printed two sided. Most of the time they don't care if you have a copy of the back of it.

The bus is the only way to cross the bridge unless you arrange other transport I think you can hire vans to take you across in the same area where the secure parking is.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

No need for your old departure card for Thailand. Nothing is needed to prove your departure from here including the stamp.

It does not matter whether it is on 2 sheets or printed two sided. Most of the time they don't care if you have copy of the back of it.

The bus is the only way to cross the bridge unless you arrange other transport I think you can hire vans to take you across in the same area where the secure parking is.

Thanks Joe

But to me the posters must be just supplying additional info if PP pages are not required

40 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

I usualy print marriage cert bothside on A4.

Parking car 2 nighs no problem

I have never copied entry stamp into laos or there tm6 equivalent os thai exit stamp.

You can if you wish take your car over into laos you need to do  bit of extra paperwork if you want to do this pm me will give you details its not hard at all

Edited by jeab1980

49 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Thanks Joe

But to me the posters must be just supplying additional info if PP pages are not required

That is what he submitted. Many people provide things that are not needed. They might of even handed them back to him.

Best to give only what is required.

On 5/21/2017 at 8:21 AM, ubonjoe said:

It does not matter whether it is on 2 sheets or printed two sided. Most of the time they don't care if you have a copy of the back of it.

Just maybe one last thing Joe 

Do all the hotels & everyone for that fact take Thai baht as i have to pay on arrival & hoping i don't need to convert

Thanks

20 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Just maybe one last thing Joe 

Do all the hotels & everyone for that fact take Thai baht as i have to pay on arrival & hoping i don't need to convert

Thanks

Thai baht will be accepted in Savannakhet about everywhere you go but you will get kip for change most of the time.