Cheapest 4G device in Thailand?

There was on offer a few months back where you could buy a True Super 4 in 7-11 for 290 baht. It's a rubbish little phone but comes with 4G and a wifi hotspot. I don't think it's available anymore but I wonder if anyone knows of any other really cheap 4G devices. I don't want to fork out too much as i only want to use it as a 4G wifi hotspot for my home. No point buying an aircard or mifi as they're more expensive than a cheap smartphone. I just want to know the cheapest option currently available. Not interested in anything postpaid or that requires a contract.

Edited by edwardandtubs

I was in True last week trying to sort out why my sim wouldn't work properly and there were cheap phones stacked all over the counter, 2 different ones, from memory they had 400 baht on them, pop into a true shop and have a look what they were.

I was in True last week trying to sort out why my sim wouldn't work properly and there were cheap phones stacked all over the counter, 2 different ones, from memory they had 400 baht on them, pop into a true shop and have a look what they were.

" sim wouldn't work properly "
"cheap phones "
[emoji848][emoji848]

44 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

I'll take a look to see if True are selling them directly but I assume most of what they're trying to shift in their shops need a 12 month contract.

18 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

I've never seen them. Do they keep them behind the counter or what?

Yes, usually up above the cigarettes. Bring your passport and they can also sell you a True SIM.

I don't really understand the deal but they also sell True cards for various short term internet services.

9 minutes ago, dddave said:

Yes, usually up above the cigarettes. Bring your passport and they can also sell you a True SIM.

I don't really understand the deal but they also sell True cards for various short term internet services.

Great, I'll go and buy one. I found the details on the True website:

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/news/detail/622

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

" sim wouldn't work properly "
"cheap phones "
emoji848.pngemoji848.png

<deleted>, It isn't a cheap phone, it was a dud sim card, worked fine for a month then wouldn't accept top up or anything else, they stuffed around with it for an hour before conceding it was a dud and replacing it.

, It isn't a cheap phone, it was a dud sim card, worked fine for a month then wouldn't accept top up or anything else, they stuffed around with it for an hour before conceding it was a dud and replacing it.

Ok dude, only my poor attempt at humour [emoji51]

If you have acquaintances abroad and they are going to Thailand, get them to obtain one for you. I can buy a second hand 4G MiFi in the UK for as little as a tenner. Then you aren't locked down to just using a TRUE SIM.

But they do need to know exactly which model to purchase.

19 hours ago, JamJar said:

If you have acquaintances abroad and they are going to Thailand, get them to obtain one for you. I can buy a second hand 4G MiFi in the UK for as little as a tenner. Then you aren't locked down to just using a TRUE SIM.

But they do need to know exactly which model to purchase.

True SIM best SIM.

Can only speak for Pattaya, but AIS is overcrowded (due to the unlimited tariffs) and DTAC doesn't even work in some parts of Naklua. With True I always have 4G, usually up to 50 Mbps.

Of course, if staying in the sticks, AIS might be a better choice.

I compl

7 hours ago, wump said:

Can only speak for Pattaya, but AIS is overcrowded (due to the unlimited tariffs) and DTAC doesn't even work in some parts of Naklua. With True I always have 4G, usually up to 50 Mbps.

Of course, if staying in the sticks, AIS might be a better choice.

I have a completely different experience to yourself.

I have an apartment in central Pattaya and AIS 4G is by far the best for home use. I don't just use it on my phone, but in an actual router. 

Actual download speeds of 2MB/s as opposed to perhaps 10% of that with TRUE and DTAC.

As to "unlimited tariffs", they all offer them. So that doesn't make any sense.

I also have friends in apartments in Jomtien who get poor signal from DTAC/TRUE...with AIS just about scraping through. 

I guess you only use the SIM on your mobile phone.

So your experience is not typical.

5 hours ago, wump said:

My speed during a rain storm... more than twice as much as 2 MB/s

speed.PNG

I am simply showing you that your experience is not typical.

I always have all three network SIM with me. So I can compare under the same conditions.

AIS is not only the fastest, but offers me the most data.

So your "best" is highly subjective, as in day to day use my experience is totally different, as are my needs.

29 minutes ago, wump said:

Thanks a lot for this post. Didn't know about this tariff and kept topping up my phone with 399 for 10 GB every couple of days. 4 Mbps is more than enough to stream Youtube.

Gosh you spent a lot. Great if the unlimited tariff is up to scratch.

2 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

will the cheap phones be able to be a WiFi hub ?  at least in the USA many are hard blocked inside the phone ,

And do they need to be Android ?   Some of the cheap "dumb" phones do not even have that !

Just get some random China/India Android device and don't worry about all that. Or better yet, get a proper Mifi device instead of a phone. Works for days straight without being charged. If you only use 4G on 1 computer, some USB stick will do. About 700 Baht?