exhaust loudness problem to pass check

mran66

Bought an used HD softail few years ago and this year was the first time I was

told I need to go to have the bike checked to get tax sticker. At checking place

(at Pattaya DLT) was told by the lady my exhaust is too loud, need to change to

original - a bummer for me as dont have the original exhaust. Bike had

Vance&Hines exhaust installed when I bought it, and it actually was even too

loud so bought the 'quiet baffless' and installed them to make a bit softer. Still

kind of has sound but not THAT bad...anyway I ride only little and slow so wont

bother much anybody too much anyway. Sure the pickups with stereo systems

and big speakers are louder...

Anyway, anybody know if any way to settle this without actually getting and

installing the original exhaust? I doubt I am the only one with louder than std exhaust?

And if anybody would happen to have original (or other one meeting the thai

sound level requiremet) exhaust system hanging in store I would be interested to

buy (or  rent for a short period for the inspection) at reasonable price.

Model is Softail Deluxe 2006.

Edited by mran66

Initially I went to test station on pattaya tai but they told me I need to go to the one at dlt as it is harley...any experience on a specific place in pattaya that could deal with my case?

Mate of mine was made to put original exhaust back on to register, law states 105dB. They're also getting stricter about after market turn signals / tail tidys etc,

This was in Ubon

2 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Mate of mine was made to put original exhaust back on to register, law states 105dB. They're also getting stricter about after market turn signals / tail tidys etc,

This was in Ubon

2 hours ago, JaiLai said:

This was in Ubon

I went through a similar situation up here in Chiang Mai.  Although I can understand the exhaust/silencer/muffler ruling some of the others are just pedantic nonsense.  So you decide to put on after market turn signals/indicators, they light up the same colour and are as bright if not brighter than the originals...whats the problem?

Some tail tidys still have the licence plate at the rear and incorporate a light....whats wrong with that?  I can understand when some people put the licence plate up under the guard in the area in front of the rear wheel due to it being obscured and having no light but sheesh!

Same with airhorns....the original horn is generally piss weak and wouldnt alert anyone to anything.  Airhorns on the other hand tend to make people jump out of the way.

And yes I did get quote a fact a few days ago stating that No Modifications are allowed in accordance with Thai Law.  Well some times the law is an ass....

Just my opinion mind

Next we will all be riding standard bikes. OMG!!!

It's a minefield and one that needs policing as there are a few mods that go too far. Ear bleeding exhausts are one. I took mine off after a short while as it was too loud. 

Some of the indicators and headlight mods are woeful excuses for stylish and are beyond safe.

A huge task to enforce. 

I believe in Germany it is illegal to fit after market exhausts. Given the love of hi-end German cars here, maybe the law is the same?  

As has been said let the local Harley loud pipes dealer sort it out.

Went to hot rod pattaya to ask and indeed they have a solution. As usual the royal faces seem to be the solution. Thanks to canthai55 for the pointer

My bike is pretty much std, with the exception of the V&H computer and matching dual shot staggered pipes and decent set of OEM chrome. Maybe should get a set of original exhaust in case need one day.