Dengue vaccination/ where?

THAIPHUKET

KKerry your link is helpful. The question asked to the post is even more telling

Ivan

Thursday March 30th, 2017 at 12:22 AM · Reply

Question: European, have lived in the tropics seven years. However I have got dengue twice (confirmed both times by blood test) already. Concerned about worse reaction if I get it a third time. Would you recommend vaccination in this case?

TravM Dr

Friday March 31st, 2017 at 10:07 PM · Reply

Thanks for the question. However it is very difficult for us to give a specific recommendation to someone via Internet. Since there are many factors to consider such as age, duration of stay in the tropics and how long will someone stay in the tropics, previous dengue infection, etc. Not only that, one key factor that our doctor have to access is the risk perception and risk tolerance of each individual.

Such as if we know that the chance that someone will develop dengue infection is 1% per year (this is just a sample number). What do you think? Is this 1% risk is high or low? Is it acceptable or not? Should we get three shots of dengue vaccine in order to reduce the risk to 0.35%? I think we could imagine that, everyone looks at the same number differently and may have different perspectives about risk and benefit of vaccine (which is called risk perception). So formal counselling/discussion with a doctor is needed

3 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Dengue can be a bitch but I have to get out more because I have not encountered anyone who got it in CM in 20 years.

Really?  I know several people, and I've only been here 11 years.  However I think it is mainly a concern for people who spend a lot of times in densely populated areas, for example schools and universities.

Really?  I know several people, and I've only been here 11 years.  However I think it is mainly a concern for people who spend a lot of times in densely populated areas, for example schools and universities.

Could be, I stay away from densely populated places.

I stand corrected, faulty memory, CMU professor friend got it about 4 years ago.

REPEAT Infections are of more concern
Harris understands this risk on a personal level. She has been studying dengue in Nicaragua for 24 years, and in 1995, became infected with dengue virus type 3. That puts her at greater risk for a severe reaction should she become exposed to other dengue virus serotypes
Read here
http://news.berkeley.edu/2011/12/21/dengue/

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Thailsacien said:

You can see Doctor Morgan, on Hang Don Road.
I spoke about this vaccination with her a few months ago. 

And, what did she say ?

thanks, ~o:37;

p.s. had Dengue here many years ago: it was a nightmare.