Here come the drones! Cops herald new era for policing in Pattaya

webfact

Here come the drones! Cops herald new era for policing in Pattaya

6pm.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

PATTAYA: -- Pattaya police were in Walking Street announcing a new era for the police at the resort as they finally arrive in the 21st century.

Drones have now joined the Happy Zone scheme in making Pattaya a safer place for tourists.

The latest buzzwords from local chief Apichai Krobpetch center around the project "Modernization - Integration - System of Justice" launched at the weekend.

A large contingent of uniformed and plain clothes police, local big wigs and soldiers were in Walking Street on Friday to launch the new era, said Pattaya News.

Up front was a drone - hand held for the press photo opportunity - but there is so much more to the project that will see the local cops embracing the government's 4.0 policy.

Reaction times are set to improve as the cops get better connected in both preventing and solving crime.

And they hope the eyes in the sky will do just that.

Improved CCTV provision and more interpreters will also help the police.

Not to mention the scheme to encourage participation from local operators in reporting and preventing crime known as the "Happy Zone".

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-15

Lest there be any confusion in the headline, I'm guessing this refers to electronic drone as opposed to the other definition: stingless, does little or no work, one that lives off the labours of others, parasite. Maybe that's a bit harsh.

The future of these drones.

They will be broken within a week, forgotten within a fortnight and sitting on a storeroom shelf somewhere collecting dust for several years before being thrown out. The recycling man will then burn off the plastic to get at the valuable metal.

[Police Box]

P1: Something suspicious going on at that bar.

P2: What do you see?

P1: What the drone can see obviously.

P2: ....what does the drone see?

P1: Looks like pills to me.

P2: What does it look like to the drone?

P1: Pills.

P2: Can you put on the loudspeaker and invite them to our police box?

P1: No speakers to do that.

P2: Well then, case closed. Just because we got a drone doesn't mean we suddenly need to get out of the box and work, right?

P1: 55555 as if, imagine the hassle.

Now I'd like for someone to keep tabs on numbers purchased, price per unit/lot, operation times, units broken, accidents and so forth. Bet that would make for some fun to look at.

4 hours ago, wxpwzrd said:

Maybe those lazy asses should get out, patrol and do their job rather than trying to pilot a drone -- that I just BET will get flown into someone...

I am thinking that there will be a space on the craft for the club owners can put their monthly "brown envelops".

Well, you already have to be on guard for motorbikes, aggressive lady boys and pick pockets.  Now there's a chance to be hit by a drone from above when it loses power and plunges into a gaggle of tourists.  Or it hits power lines and Walking St. goes dark for an hour or two. 

Then the Junta will ban them for everyone in Thailand. 

Edited by 55Jay

Are the drones going to be able to pick up the envelopes for services rendered everyday? Or will the RTP have to send the messengers to pickup the envelopes. If the drones can pickup the "Tea Money" that will leave the RTP to do other duties and have lunch with second wives. Amazing Thailand.

Edited by tomwct

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The future of these drones.

They will be broken within a week, forgotten within a fortnight and sitting on a storeroom shelf somewhere collecting dust for several years before being thrown out. The recycling man will then burn off the plastic to get at the valuable metal.

This.

All of those CCTV cams that were installed years ago, millions of baht spent, most didn't work or were broken according to reports. Money flushed. The same with this.

Kudos to whoever sold them on the idea and cashed in on the over priced new toys. 

8 hours ago, wxpwzrd said:

Maybe those lazy asses should get out, patrol and do their job rather than trying to pilot a drone -- that I just BET will get flown into someone...

It's bound to. One member of the dhammachayo crack squad was hit on the head by their own drone not too long ago. 

Theyve heard of wifi jammers and things like this? My kids big expensive drone and our home cctv system both which run on a wifi frequenciy it states cant be jammed. But, all it takes is some unregistered not grounded properly bike to go passed and the thing falls out of the sky and our cameras stop recording. Useless....

Is that walking street my god it was empty when that photo was took?

Got to wish the guys well on that as my drone lasted under a minute before it legged it of never to be seen again dam wires.

But I guess I could have some fun with a sig-gen and so could you.