High-speed Railway To Be Built Between Chon Buri, Pattaya, Mapthaput And Suvarnabhumi Airport

Jai Dee

High-speed railway between Chon Buri, Pattaya, Mapthaput and Suvarnabhumi Airport being built

The chairman of Chon Buri Provincial Administration, Mr. Pinyo Tanviset, said the construction of high-speed railway between Chon Buri, Pattaya, Mapthaput and Suvarnabhumi Airport is being expedited.

Mr. Pinyo said the traffic condition in Chonburi is increasingly congested due to the continual growth of the provincial city. In addition, about 3.8 to 4 million containers are being stored in Chon Buri, and around 20,000 vehicles, including the ones transporting tourists and businessmen, are traveling in the province on a daily basis.

However, the routes have not expanded in the same manner, and traffic crisis would likely occur in the future.

Therefore, the government realizes this forthcoming problem and has planned to construct a high-speed railway linking Chon Buri, Pattaya, Mapthaput and Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The government is campaigning for people to use trains instead of automobiles.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 December 2006

I think this project has more to due with prostitution in Pattaya than anything else. If Pattaya's only attraction was a buddhist temple then I think there would be no traffic. There are many beaches along that coast that don't suffer from the traffic congestion problems that Pattaya sufferes from. Get rid of the "working girls" and you won't need a high speed train.

Imagine all the tax dollars you could save. But saving those tax dollars buy getting rid of the working girls would spell doom for the city of Pattaya. Pattaya depends on them girls like fish depend on water. Without them, the city would dry up and blow away.

It would be a morality tsunami that would have the same effect on tourism that the real tsunami had a Phuket. It would be possible to fill part of the void with some morally acceptable types of entertainment but I doubt it would be enough to create the traffic problem of 20,000 cars daily in the province.

Speaking of cars traveling in a province, I'm sure there are other cities in Thailand with more than 20,000 cars traveling in their province too.

On the motorway and on bypass, get the trucks and buses to use and STAY in their respective lanes only and a big part of the problem will be solved. No overtaking allowed for them, that's what messes up traffic flow most of the time. Trucks want to constantly overtake at 65-70 while cars are trying to do 100.

I think this project has more to due with prostitution in Pattaya than anything else. If Pattaya's only attraction was a buddhist temple then I think there would be no traffic. There are many beaches along that coast that don't suffer from the traffic congestion problems that Pattaya sufferes from. Get rid of the "working girls" and you won't need a high speed train.

Imagine all the tax dollars you could save. But saving those tax dollars buy getting rid of the working girls would spell doom for the city of Pattaya. Pattaya depends on them girls like fish depend on water. Without them, the city would dry up and blow away.

It would be a morality tsunami that would have the same effect on tourism that the real tsunami had a Phuket. It would be possible to fill part of the void with some morally acceptable types of entertainment but I doubt it would be enough to create the traffic problem of 20,000 cars daily in the province.

Speaking of cars traveling in a province, I'm sure there are other cities in Thailand with more than 20,000 cars traveling in their province too.

Looking at the demand side of thing, if some farangs don't just come to Thailand and look for those prostitutes, it probably might help too. Afterall, Pattaya is what it is today because of some G.I.'s during Vietnam era. :o

Looking at the demand side of thing, if some farangs don't just come to Thailand and look for those prostitutes, it probably might help too. Afterall, Pattaya is what it is today because of some G.I.'s during Vietnam era. :o

A better rail system will greatly improve the traffic around the whole area, as it stands there is so much industry in Chon Buri province that better infrastructure is long over due. There is a rail link already, but it is so slow that if I get caught at the level crossing near my house I can be waiting there for up to 30 minutes. The trucks with their containers are a lethal hazard, the tour buses are driven by maniacs and the planning of the roads is an offence to logical thought.

This has absolutely nothing to do with prostitution.

A better rail system will greatly improve the traffic around the whole area, as it stands there is so much industry in Chon Buri province that better infrastructure is long over due. There is a rail link already, but it is so slow that if I get caught at the level crossing near my house I can be waiting there for up to 30 minutes. The trucks with their containers are a lethal hazard, the tour buses are driven by maniacs and the planning of the roads is an offence to logical thought.

Agree. One major issue is that you have a huge amount of goods (none of them prostitutes) from all over Thailand trying to exit through Lamchambang. And by far most of it is being transported by 6/10/12 wheeled vehicles.

:D

I figure that people will be using this hi-speed rail system right around the same time I'm taking my first ride on the vaunted Chiang Mai subway system. :D

You'll never ride CM subway, the recurrent flooding doomed that project to failure, long since replaced by light rail (trams) and now BRT (Rus Rapid Transit). Even the BRT project looks set to die before it even goes to tender as it was always Toxin's baby, he's gone so the enthusiasm has drained :o

Agree. One major issue is that you have a huge amount of goods (none of them prostitutes) from all over Thailand trying to exit through Lamchambang. And by far most of it is being transported by 6/10/12 wheeled vehicles.

:D

I agree with both of you. This high speed rail line is much needed for the growing industry in Chon Buri and Eastern Seaboard. I actually was sort of replying to the prostitute comment in jest. If this project ever materialses, I hope it will be done with the least amount of corruption and maximum efficiency/quality.

There is no way the existing line is capable of supporting speeds of more than 50km, lets hope they go for a whole new dual line system with a dependable timetable so that goods and passengers can use it. Then build proper level crossings with boom gates that don't lower 10 minutes before the train even arrives.

I guess at the moment we can be grateful that they are doing something about highway 7, although it remains to be seen how it will end up. They "improved" the intersection of Soi Assumption and Highway 7 in the last few months, it is now finished and a lot deadlier than it ever was, and the traffic now goes at a crawl unless you decide to drive on the shoulder. Whoever came up with that idea needs to be sent to Siberia.

Richard, you are spot on! But I would say keep everything like it is and make U- tapao to an real international airport and allow all these "Thailandtourists" to book the real xxx- Pattaya ticket instead of the mendacious xxx- BKK one!

No High-speed Railway nor Suvarnabhumi Airport would be needed...

• 1 year later...