Football fiasco: Two Britons, Thai accused of Premier League piracy

5 hours ago, BangkokNicky said:

two Britons have been released on bail at the request of the British Embassy. Hmm amazing work the embassy do ...  The FCO promotes the United Kingdom's interests overseas, supporting our citizens and businesses around the globe.

No such request could have taken place. It's bad journalism as usual.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, evadgib said:

No such request could have taken place. It's bad journalism as usual.

unprofessional journalism as per; too lazy to research, no cross checking of facts, no investigation, no depth or perspective or background information.

thai visa should only promote well written, well researched and accurate articles

5 hours ago, BangkokNicky said:

two Britons have been released on bail at the request of the British Embassy. Hmm amazing work the embassy do ...  The FCO promotes the United Kingdom's interests overseas, supporting our citizens and businesses around the globe.

That must be a first they usually say they do not interfere in local maters, lazy sods they are

I've got a nasty suspicious mind but it's my bet that the pressure to close down Expat TV has come from True Visions and the football aspect is just the excuse. Fact is, Expat TV was a better service by a million light years and True just does not want the competition, after all, it then might have to show some decent programmes at a reasonable price. But that's just my nasty suspicious mind.

1 minute ago, A Skeptic said:

I've got a nasty suspicious mind but it's my bet that the pressure to close down Expat TV has come from True Visions and the football aspect is just the excuse. Fact is, Expat TV was a better service by a million light years and True just does not want the competition, after all, it then might have to show some decent programmes at a reasonable price. But that's just my nasty suspicious mind.

Its all to do with the football, big money involved.

You could be right, but you can hardly blame Truevisions. They just paid out a huge sum to get back the exclusive rights to broadcast the Premier League in Thailand. They can be rightly angry that others are illegally streaming what they have paid for and undermining their customer base.

1 hour ago, Expattaff1308 said:

Ive tried this viewed the many channels but when I Play or Download it only does it for a prog on the Yesterday Channel Doesn't show or Download the required Prog. any thoughts??

I've never had that problem and I'm watching Sky News now. There is a five minute delay which prevents buffering.

The watching earlier programmes thing isn't accurate since BST was introduced, but you can click along the timeline at the bottom of the screen in the general area and once you find the programme you're looking for double left click to get to the beginning. I've been using it to watch Masterchef on BBC the day after it was shown overnight Thai time. Sometimes I've watched the playback and sometimes I've recorded it. Can't see a way to record in advance though.

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

unprofessional journalism as per; too lazy to research, no cross checking of facts, no investigation, no depth or perspective or background information.

thai visa should only promote well written, well researched and accurate articles

I've worked with Thai journalists here and none would last a week in the UK. One even made three factual errors in an opening paragraph. That takes some doing.

29 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They even promote android boxes too. But then the rules also say we shouldn't speak bad of the locals......

Nothing wrong or illegal with Android boxes, or even boxes with Kodi installed on it, though. That you need a license for it doesn't make them illegal.

It all changes when those Android boxes have a legal Kodi media player installed but are loaded with all 3rd party addons or illegal iptv

Edited by janclaes47

4 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Nothing wrong or illegal with Android boxes, or even boxes with Kodi installed on it, though. That you need a license for it doesn't make them illegal.

It all changes when those Android boxes have a Kodi media player installed and loaded with all 3rd party addons or illegal iptv

Which I believe the most recent one TV promoted does.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

7 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Do you consider car thieves also "competition" to legit second car dealers?

I don't but I do consider monopolists who charge rip-off prices just as bad as thieves. I would place both True and the EPL in that (b)racket as only allowing one legal provider is just boosting monopoly behaviour.

5 minutes ago, khunken said:

I don't but I do consider monopolists who charge rip-off prices just as bad as thieves. I would place both True and the EPL in that (b)racket as only allowing one legal provider is just boosting monopoly behaviour.

There is no monopoly regarding tv in Thailand. There is True visions, AIS and others starting up.

In other countries there is also only 1 legal provider for the Premier league, as far as I'm aware, only in the UK there is both Sky and BT who are partners of the premier league.

I agree about the rip off prices, but there are many to blame for that, start with the players and the supporters.

2 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

That must be a first they usually say they do not interfere in local maters, lazy sods they are

Did I say that?

I meant to add, but they can find the time to go across the road to a nice restaurant every lunch time and sit in the window looking at Brits waiting to see them as they need the embassy help, but they are too busy eating.

So how did they find the time to ask for these people not to be jailed? KB works in mysterious ways does she not? including doing an impersonation of titanic (mast sailing on fb)

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

There is no monopoly regarding tv in Thailand. There is True visions, AIS and others starting up.

In other countries there is also only 1 legal provider for the Premier league, as far as I'm aware, only in the UK there is both Sky and BT who are partners of the premier league.

I agree about the rip off prices, but there are many to blame for that, start with the players and the supporters.

There is a monopoly in cable / satellite TV, AIS may break that monopoly in time but it doesn't now. I was referring to EPL (which I'm sure you knew) and , yes, the EPL maintain the same monopolistic strategy in other countries too, but that doesn't make it right.

You've got the supporters & players categorised the wrong way round - they are at the end of the line. The EPL makes billions out of their monopolistic behaviour, most of which goes to the successful clubs (yes some does dribble down) , who in turn pay millions, too often for mediocre players. It's neither the players or supporters fault although the players do benefit from higher (sometimes astronomical) wages but the supporters who attend the matches get little or no benefit.

4 minutes ago, khunken said:

There is a monopoly in cable / satellite TV, AIS may break that monopoly in time but it doesn't now. I was referring to EPL (which I'm sure you knew) and , yes, the EPL maintain the same monopolistic strategy in other countries too, but that doesn't make it right.

You've got the supporters & players categorised the wrong way round - they are at the end of the line. The EPL makes billions out of their monopolistic behaviour, most of which goes to the successful clubs (yes some does dribble down) , who in turn pay millions, too often for mediocre players. It's neither the players or supporters fault although the players do benefit from higher (sometimes astronomical) wages but the supporters who attend the matches get little or no benefit.

I've never been interested in football, but I understand that these days to attend a premier league game, it will set you back in excess of 4000 Baht.

Of course these prices are warranted when you talk about football transfers of 60 Million GBP.

So first of all I can't get it in my head why a football player, regardless of how good he is, can be worth 60.000.000 Gbp for a transfer. And may be in the next 5 years double that.

If supporters wouldn't pay +4000 Baht for a lousy 90 minutes game, the price of the players and EPL rights would also have to drop.

It is all a house of cards, and take the supporters out of it, the house of cards will fold.