crf 250l clutch/gearbox issue

little problem just really noticed yesterday,,,,,,,if I'm in 1st gear with clutch pulled in the bike will not roll backwards, getting a lot of resistance and a grind noise, also noticed if going along and say slowing for a turn pull clutch in and get a kind off whirring/whizzing noise............there is no clutch slipping when accelerating and no problem with any gear changes.

do you think clutch on its way out.....the little winder by the lever is wound all the way in, if i wind it out a bit start getting clutch slipping on acceleration,,,,,,,the biting point fro clutch is about middle of lever position........any advice or views........appreciated

Does the rpm match its increase in speed?

Shaft or release baring.  May just be worth changing the clutch.  How many miles has it done?

Personally, I never wait for the clutch to go.  I change it when I think it need to regardless of signs.

Edited by BBJ

Have you changed to a different oil recently? Doesn't explain the noise which is likely the release bearing but different oils perform differently. If so go back to 10-40 Honda oil.

Try ThumperTalk or take it to Honda?

Edited by VocalNeal

If you go for a clutch change , look up / Google the clutch plate modifications , which i believe involves fitting an extra clutch plate in place of a "beveled" plate. Many people identified this plate as the main culprit in many clutch issues. Keep us informed.

I'm going back to uk next week for a few months think i will just bring new clutch kit over when i  return ,,,,,not really got time to mess about with at the moment,,,,,,,,,it just needs to hold out for another 7 days....lol

Im in England ( Birmingham ) now. Its raining. Been back a few weeks and just bought a new convertable ( BMW ) as i was told summer was coming. Its rained every day since !.  See if EBC do a replacement clutch kit , without the "bevel" plate , maybe with some HD springs.

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

Im in England ( Birmingham ) now. Its raining. Been back a few weeks and just bought a new convertable ( BMW ) as i was told summer was coming. Its rained every day since !.  See if EBC do a replacement clutch kit , without the "bevel" plate , maybe with some HD springs.

raining in england never!...hope it improves got trackday booked bedfordshire autodrome on 31st may.

On 17/05/2017 at 9:57 AM, taninthai said:

little problem just really noticed yesterday,,,,,,,if I'm in 1st gear with clutch pulled in the bike will not roll backwards, getting a lot of resistance and a grind noise

The 250L is fitted with a judder plate, it's about half the width of a normal friction plate and wears out first...it's designed to make it easier for beginners to pull off by slipping slightly.

You can get a kit off CRF'sOnly with EBC springs or heavy duty Barnett springs, or get a set of friction plates for a CBR250R and the springs from a CBR300R off Honda.

https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/290_292/products_id/5894

4 hours ago, Gnasher328 said:

I had a 300 conversion on my CRF (might bring problems of it's own - crank recall!). It felt like the clutch was always on the verge of slipping so I bought and installed a CBR300 clutch pack - cheap and easy.

you buy that in thailand?????? what was the cost

Done by 'The Monkey Father, in Chiang Mai. Can't remember what it cost but with the std exhaust 'gutted' it was well worth it, totally different bike. Got the guts to get through the horrible 1st-2nd gap on steep trails now. Search 'Rideasia'.

14 hours ago, taninthai said:

you buy that in thailand?????? what was the cost

You need the plates from a CBR250R and the springs from a CBR300R...the CBR300 uses a judder spring/plate, the CBR250 doesn't

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

You need the plates from a CBR250R and the springs from a CBR300R...the CBR300 uses a judder spring/plate, the CBR250 doesn't

gonna buy the kit from crfs only with ebc springs the one you recommended earlier in thread ,,,will get while I'm in uk and install we I'm back in october.

7 minutes ago, taninthai said:

gonna buy the kit from crfs only with ebc springs the one you recommended earlier in thread ,,,will get while I'm in uk and install we I'm back in october.

The EBC part numbers for the disc kit are CK1313 and the springs are CSK188 if you want to order off Amazon when in UK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EBC-Brakes-Ck1313-Clutch-Friction/dp/B0068FTYOE

4 hours ago, Neilly said:

Wrong way round! The 250s have a half plate-spring thing, the 300s don't which is why you buy the 300 parts. Fairly cheap at the Chiang Mai Honda parts place.

Hmm, wonder if mototh have got it mixed up? I can't see why Honda would effectively weaken the clutch of a more powerful bike? Unfortunately I just had a cleanup of files and deleted the official Honda parts breakdown I showed the Thai supplier - but they were all full plates!

7 minutes ago, Gnasher328 said:

Hmm, wonder if mototh have got it mixed up? I can't see why Honda would effectively weaken the clutch of a more powerful bike? Unfortunately I just had a cleanup of files and deleted the official Honda parts breakdown I showed the Thai supplier - but they were all full plates!

You definitely use the springs from the CBR300...but why they chose to put the judder spring in that and not the CBR250 is anyone's guess

Full list here...

CBR300R Clutch

This is a breakdown of the CBR300 clutch (items #7 and #11 are the judder springs)...

CBR300R Clutch.JPG

1 hour ago, Gnasher328 said:

I keep telling you - I didn't use a judder spring

I'm not saying you did...all I'm saying is that the CBR250R doesn't use a judder spring and the CBR300R does.

And while we're on the subject...

There is a judder spring in the following models:

• CRF230L

• CRF250L/M

• CBR300R

• CB300F

• CB500X

• NC700X

• CRF450R

• CRF250X

• CRF250R

There isn't a judder spring in these models:

• CBR250R

• CB500F

• XR650L

• CRF450X

• GROM 125

So what determines which bikes get judder springs and which don't in Mr Honda's eyes

• 5 months later...
On 18/05/2017 at 6:13 PM, Neilly said:

The 250L is fitted with a judder plate, it's about half the width of a normal friction plate and wears out first...it's designed to make it easier for beginners to pull off by slipping slightly.

You can get a kit off CRF'sOnly with EBC springs or heavy duty Barnett springs, or get a set of friction plates for a CBR250R and the springs from a CBR300R off Honda.

https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/290_292/products_id/5894

Dam eBay seller didn’t deliver my ebc clutch kit in time from uk.......or I left it to late to order...

Anyway they want 47 dollar just to deliver that clutch and spring set........I take it Honda don’t use ebc kits think I’m gonna just order the the 250r plates and 300r springs from local dealer or sunset cycle .....will have to check prices