Falling tree that killed motorcyclist: Bangkok criminal court rejects police call for arrest warrants for four company executives

webfact

1 minute ago, jethro69 said:

That was my thought when I saw it first on FB, I guess people were just to afraid to get an eletric shock. Nothing uncommen here.

You give them way too much credit in my opinion.

Edited by Laab Muu
Spelling correction

15 hours ago, mike324 said:

The tree is on their compound, and it is their responsibility to ensure that it doesn't fall. Those that don't think so and complaining how stupid it is is applying double standards.  If it was your loved one hit by the tree, I'm sure you would want to hold someone responsible as well.

I'm amazed nobody came to check up on the motorcycle that fell.

After watching the video (and looking at the hole left by the tree, as I work nearby) I'm sure that most the real responsibility lies with the local government department responsible for the concrete pole.

Trees fall in storms, but as stated in a post above, they tend to fall slowly and noisily as the branches break.  They are natural objects, so unpredictable, but not a hogh risk.  That's why all city trees have not been felled in every city with effective health & safety enforcement.  Trees can kill, but it's rare. 

But concrete posts are man made, designed and installed with safety in mind.  And tney can fall quickly and silently, so are high risk.  When the tree fell, it put extra strain on the pole, via the cables.  The pole should have been designed and fitted to withstand the predictable strain from a falling tree.   The cables may snap, but the pole should stay up.  It did not, either due to a design or installation failure,  both of which are the responsibility of the identifiable individuals who are accountable for the pole.

I'm a government health and safety enforcement officer by background,  and I'd be interviewing the people responsible for erecting the pole, especially after seeing the recent reports of a whole row of poles falling earlier this year.

And yes, I was also saddened by the inaction of the people near to the unfortunate victim.  I guess (hope) that they were just shocked and unsure of what to do.