Smart TVs

samtam

OK, please excuse the naivety of the question for those of you who are more technically minded, but here goes:

If one has a Smart TV, (by which I mean a TV connected to the internet), can one watch things on it such as BBC iPlayer or equivalent?

If one doesn't have a Smart TV, does one have to have an Android box to do the above? If so, is there such a thing as a generic Android box?

Thanks. 

There are generic Android smart tv's. Sony - Philips,TCL and Sharp make them.

You can install Android apps including Kodi on them, if your processor speed and RAM allow it.

Otherwise you can buy a Android box, but then you don't need a smart tv, since the box makes your regular tv smart enough.

43 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

There are generic Android smart tv's. Sony - Philips,TCL and Sharp make them.

You can install Android apps including Kodi on them, if your processor speed and RAM allow it.

Otherwise you can buy a Android box, but then you don't need a smart tv, since the box makes your regular tv smart enough.

Ok got it. Tkx.

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Would it be correct to say that an Android box makes your TV into an internet TV (Smart TV). In other words, with an Android box can you view any URL on the TV, and download as required?

Also can a supplied Android box previously supplied by one of the recently decapitated IPTV companies be used as a generic Android box, or do I have to buy a new generic one to do as above in the first paragraph.

Sorry, you're probably eye-rolling at the simplicity/stupidity of the questions, but I simply don't know the answers.

1 minute ago, samtam said:

Would it be correct to say that an Android box makes your TV into an internet TV (Smart TV). In other words, with an Android box can you view any URL on the TV, and download as required?

Also can a supplied Android box previously supplied by one of the recently decapitated IPTV companies be used as a generic Android box, or do I have to buy a new generic one to do as above in the first paragraph.

Sorry, you're probably eye-rolling at the simplicity/stupidity of the questions, but I simply don't know the answers.

An Android box is actually a mini pc, so you can do everything on it what you could do on a pc, and your tv functions as the monitor.

The box you have in mind is probably a Minix Neo X6, as is just now also discussed with another member,  and can be used but is very limited in the spec.

If your only concern is to watch BBC Iplayer or alike, it will be sufficient, but if you think of installing Kodi with all bells and whistles, it will probably fall short in spec.

Keep in mind for BBC Iplayer you need a vpn.

OK, thanks guys. I think I'll start with a new Android box and see how it goes. Was checking out Smart TVs this afternoon, and the Sony 40" looks easy enough to use with the Logitex keyboard, and is about THB25k.

Archived