SiamBeast

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Strictly enforce the road traffic laws.....might be a good start.

My preferred option would be to have a nationwide register of falangs over the age of fifty to teach Thais how to drive. After observing a Thai driving instructor when my Thai GF went for her car licence, I've concluded the root cause of poor Thai driving skills is the teachers.

1 hour ago, speckio said:

It would be nice if you followed up with an explanation because i am obviously too stupid to understand English.

you asked

did i somehow not read it correctly? 

i answered

yes

meaning you did not read it correctly.

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

No, I'd say too little thinking just another authoritarian conservative. One of the best things that could happen is to rid Thailand of all the foreign deadbeats and cheapskates--charge all foreigners USD2000 each month to live here.

still a bargain compared to income tax in Germany, France and Belgium.

2 hours ago, madmin said:

Simplify the visa process allowing married couples with children indefinite leave to remain regardless of income 

not the 'with children' bit some can't have kids and it's discriminatory and be careful of the 'regardless of income' as down-and-outs could easily come here with no income and support, get married and hang around contributing nought but nuisance value

but with your general point I agree 

4 hours ago, smotherb said:

No, I'd say too little thinking just another authoritarian conservative. One of the best things that could happen is to rid Thailand of all the foreign deadbeats and cheapskates--charge all foreigners USD2000 each month to live here.

As John McEnroe would say, you cannot be serious. Unless you're suggesting that should be the minimum monthly SPEND for falangs

That USD 2000 is on top of the 75000 baht a month I shell out already, the 800,000 baht I leave frozen in a 1.5% interest account so the banks can charge Thais 6% interest on it, and the 500,000 baht I park in an account for medical emergencies? Don't think you would have more than 100 or 200 falangs left.

Unless that's the way you would like it?

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Are you completely insane?

There are 7 billion people on the planet which is at least 6 billion too many. Those without children should be praised and rewarded. Those with children, particularly the stupid ones which is most of them, should be penalised and vilified for the inconsiderate and selfish morons that they are.

the idea that childless pay more tax than not-childless surfaces from time to time in western countries

I am not saying it is right or wrong, but the idea pops up here and there now and then

(the thinking being that childless over time is a net burden and that the not childless are not a net burden over time)'

5 hours ago, bazza73 said:

As John McEnroe would say, you cannot be serious. Unless you're suggesting that should be the minimum monthly SPEND for falangs

That USD 2000 is on top of the 75000 baht a month I shell out already, the 800,000 baht I leave frozen in a 1.5% interest account so the banks can charge Thais 6% interest on it, and the 500,000 baht I park in an account for medical emergencies? Don't think you would have more than 100 or 200 falangs left.

Unless that's the way you would like it?

Now you talkin

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

I can only conclude your original post is a brain fart, since you are normally a sensible person.

No, I am being pragmatic. Much of the complaints I have about Thailand stem from some of the farangs here. Look at all the immigration hassles;  I think much of the impetus behind the hassles I perceive are the numbers of farangs who have tried to circumvent Thai intent. Look at much of the cost increases; why are areas with fewer farangs cheaper and in my opinion better, than areas with many farangs. Look at the numbers of farang criminals and ne’re-do-wells who have taken to Thailand to exist and even prey on other farangs.  No, I believe Thailand would be a far better place without so many farangs. 

19 minutes ago, smotherb said:

No, I am being pragmatic. Much of the complaints I have about Thailand stem from some of the farangs here. Look at all the immigration hassles;  I think much of the impetus behind the hassles I perceive are the numbers of farangs who have tried to circumvent Thai intent. Look at much of the cost increases; why are areas with fewer farangs cheaper and in my opinion better, than areas with many farangs. Look at the numbers of farang criminals and ne’re-do-wells who have taken to Thailand to exist and even prey on other farangs.  No, I believe Thailand would be a far better place without so many farangs. 

off you go then... or are you 'different'? 

57 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I try to be, don't you?  Or did you think I was talking about you?

Actually I do agree that the bar should be set at a place where some of the freeloaders would not be here. The tourist long-termers etc.  but I also think there are too many thais  lol

27 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Actually I do agree that the bar should be set at a place where some of the freeloaders would not be here. The tourist long-termers etc.  but I also think there are too many thais  lol

Yeah, perfectly sensible. I like beer, except for all the beer.

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

Agreed

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

I don't disagree with the proposition that places like Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket have too many low-life falangs. I don't live there, and there's a lot of law-abiding falangs who don't either.

What I can't get my head around is your impost of USD 2000 a month on top of normal living expenses. Would you accept that yourself? How many expats do you think would accept that, and continue living here?

On 5/18/2017 at 0:15 PM, KittenKong said:

One thing that would improve Thailand dramatically would be to repeal the defamation laws.

This would finally allow people here to call a thief a thief and to denounce poor service, corruption and bad practices generally.

I expect there would be a lot of denunciation happening though as there is plenty to denounce.

I suggest you be careful, this can easily lead to trouble for you.

r

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

I don't disagree with the proposition that places like Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket have too many low-life falangs. I don't live there, and there's a lot of law-abiding falangs who don't either.

What I can't get my head around is your impost of USD 2000 a month on top of normal living expenses. Would you accept that yourself? How many expats do you think would accept that, and continue living here?

It seems the low-life farangs are everywhere; and that is not limited to Thailand.

However, I have not said there are no decent farangs, just too many that aren't.

The $2k/mo was meant to tickle those who could not or would not pay it. 

I would not want to pay it to live here, but if all low-life farangs would be gone . . .

I think almost all would refuse.  

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

r

It seems the low-life farangs are everywhere; and that is not limited to Thailand.

However, I have not said there are no decent farangs, just too many that aren't.

I would not want to pay it to live here, but if all low-life farangs would be gone . . .

So almost no falangs  in Thailand, except diplomatic staff. I think the word I'm looking for is nihilism.Well, there's so many creeds in America I suppose another one won't hurt.

Edited by bazza73
Addition

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

r

Im guessing that includes you then?

Edited by jeab1980

3 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Theres also a lot of law abiding falangs that live in those areas you mention. Be careful not to tar the vast majority of falangs in those areas with the same brush.

Edited by jeab1980

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Im guessing that includes you then?

I tried to answer that when I said, "I would not want to pay it to live here, but if all low-life farangs would be gone . . . " 

I meant to convey that it might be worth the $2k/mo if all the low-life farangs were gone.