Changing 30 day Tourist visa to a Non Immigrant B ?

I am sorry to bother you but I would like to know: I am here in Thailand already a long time but by some private circumstances I have only a 30 days on arrival visa. Now I started to work for a university. The problem is that the paperwork is not finished yet. My question is: Can any immigration office in Thailand change my 30 day visa into a Non Immigrant B visa? The office at the university says yes that it  is possible but I have from other people heard the visa can only be made by an embassy or consulat abroad. What is right?

Thank you advance

Edited by bushmill

There is no 30 day tourist visa so I assume you have a 30 day visa exempt entry.

It is possible to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category  B ) at some immigration offices. You will need at least 15 days remaining on your entry or the 30 day extension of it.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

There is no 30 day tourist visa so I assume you have a 30 day visa exempt entry.

It is possible to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category  B ) at some immigration offices. You will need at least 15 days remaining on your entry or the 30 day extension of it.

Thanks ubonjoe, No I got my 30 Day stamp for Thailand when I came from Laos. So I thinks it's not a visa exempt. With this 15 days remaining I heard it to. The office will no be aible to get the paperwork done in this 15 days. That means I can maybe get a 30 day exempt and than change the visa at the immigration,right?

9 minutes ago, bushmill said:

Thanks ubonjoe, No I got my 30 Day stamp for Thailand when I came from Laos. So I thinks it's not a visa exempt.

It is a 30 day visa exempt entry  unless you had a transit visa that allows a 30 entry or you  are from a country that only gets a 30 day entry from a tourist visa instead of 60 days.

Have you extended you 30 day visa exempt entry yet? You can get the extension unless you got your exempt entry from a bilateral agreement.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a 30 day visa exempt entry  unless you had a transit visa that allows a 30 entry or you  are from a country that only gets a 30 day entry from a tourist visa instead of 60 days.

Have you extended you 30 day visa exempt entry yet? You can get the extension unless you got your exempt entry from a bilateral agreement.

Thanks. Than I think you are right and may I get an extension first at the immigration. And than I hope they do change the visa in an Non B.

It's up to the university to prepare the necessary paperwork. They will have less paperwork if you just leave and go to a consulate in a neighbouring country. To change a tourist visa to Non- B in the country is, supposedly, only in extenuating circumstances and requires more effort from the employers. Therefore, if they value you, and are good employers they will organise your new visa without leaving the country or they will send you to another country to get a Non B and pay your expenses. If they leave this up to you they are not worth working for...

• Like 1