Do I need to report my address?

I was totally unaware of the TM30 address reporting thing, thinking it was just something that applied to people who own their places or have some more long term type of Visa or something. But now I came across https://perfecthomes.co.th/tm030-registration-thailand/ and it does sound like it applies to everyone who is not a Thai national.

I'm staying at a condo that I rent on AirBnb, and have been for a couple of months. I've been on normal tourist visas and exemptions the entire time, since I'm studying in an online university. I have no idea if the guy I'm renting from on AirBnb (a Thai who is a bit "difficult to communicate with" sometimes), or the condo building, have made any registrations. Also, I've been travelling both outside and inside Thailand, staying at hotels a few nights here and there. Never had any problems about the address at Immigration Complex or border immigrations though...

So, what do I need to do? Check with my AirBnb "landlord" if he has registered me? Tell him every time I'm coming back from staying at a hotel? Or can I report it myself?

If in Bangkok, you don't have to do this at all.  At other immigration offices, the reporting requirements vary by office (yes, really).  In any case, it generally only becomes a problem if you need to extend a visa at an immigration office - no reports of enforcement at entry/exit points.  Would it be correct to assume you have extended your exempts or TR Visa entries without this being mentioned (yet)? 

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

If in Bangkok, you don't have to do this at all.  At other immigration offices, the reporting requirements vary by office (yes, really).  In any case, it generally only becomes a problem if you need to extend a visa at an immigration office - no reports of enforcement at entry/exit points.  Would it be correct to assume you have extended your exempts or TR Visa entries without this being mentioned (yet)? 

Ah... I thought it was already a complicated mess, and now you're telling me it depends on where in Thailand? Wow... lol :D

Yes, the AirBnb place I'm renting is in Bangkok. 

Yes, I've done two extensions, one of a TR Visa and one of a 30 day exemption. No problems at all, and I gave the full address including room number both times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

ok now i am back in the middle of confusion soup; do we as visitors have to do Anything ? guesthouses, hotels, etc have to report us nightly; do WE have anything to do with this process ?

That depends on:

• Which Immigration Office has jurisdiction over where you are staying
  • Whether you are the "housemaster" or not (if you rent a condo or house, especially long-term, you usually are)
  • Whether your immigration-office will fine you (not your landlord) anyway, even if you are NOT the housemaster (because YOU are the one in their Immi-Office asking for some service, so they "gotcha.")

Bottom line, you would need to state what immigration-office you report to, and hope that someone here has **recent** experience from that office to report. 

My office has changed their policy 3 times in the last year or so - twice that I am directly-aware of, and a 3rd time reported by someone else (I will find out soon).

In theory if you are staying in a hotel or guesthouse, then they should be reporting to immigration and you should not have to do anything.

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

ok now i am back in the middle of confusion soup; do we as visitors have to do Anything ? guesthouses, hotels, etc have to report us nightly; do WE have anything to do with this process ?

To give a correct answer, you should define exactly what you mean when you describe yourself as a 'visitor'.