Pattaya Baht Bus driver tries ripping off tourists

webfact

A troll post has been removed:

The ThaiVisa News Team gathers and disseminates news bulletins from Thai and International sources, and republishes them in the News Forums for our members' information and enjoyment. Our News Team works hard to bring quality content to the News Forums, and should be respected for their efforts.

Comments such as "slow news day" or "clickbait headline" are neither respectful nor welcome on the forum, and will be considered as troll comments and removed and the offending poster warned and/or suspended accordingly.

Except as otherwise indicated in the byline, news bulletins are reprinted verbatim from a mass media source which has given TV permission to use its feed. 

3 hours ago, pattayadude said:

the amount of fuel consumed is obviously less than the $$ reflection on the meter by going small on tires. I lived in a eastern european country and this was the practice when meters were mechanical back then. I believe with electronic meters the case would not be same or possible as the new meter get their reading off a chip on the transmission but don't quote me on that as technology  constantly is improving 

less than the $$ reflection   (BAHT)

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Police did comment that the 400 Baht was in fact to much and stressed that it was important not to take advantage of tourists as they bring a lot of value to Pattaya.

Yes, well, the baht bus drivers' eyesight is affected by pictures of coloured notes dancing in front of them. They consequently fail to connect the dots.

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

400 baht sounds like a typical Pattaya charter fare for that ride. 

It's not per person on a charter. It's for the ride. 

If the authorities are serious about cracking down on overcharging, these occasional show news items aren't going to cut it. 

As far as what's really a "fair" fare for that ride, I'd say 150, not 250. An Uber car fare for the same ride is 75 - 90 baht but wouldn't move 8 people. 

400 baht to charter a baht bus is way to much. It doesn't even sound fare. 
Anyone who ever goes shopping in Big C and charters a bus/taxi that are waiting there to pick up customers knows that to charter one it costs about 250 Baht for a drive between 4-6 km. Longer distances don't even go that much higher.  A normal baht bus from the junction at second road and Pattaya tai already can be chartered for 200 Baht to Jomtien beach road. That is more then what they usually collect (+-150 baht) when the bus is loaded up at the junction. 

Uber's prices vary a bit more on availability of Uber drivers. I have been quoted 150 baht for even shorter distances because only one driver was available. so comparing this with
Uber is more of a hit and miss.

200 Baht for a baht bus charter is fair, unless your itinerary takes the baht bus to much out of his normal route. The further away from his assigned route the higher the rate.

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

150 for the baht bus driver after their negotiation fee had been deducted.

whenever there is a jetski scam, the police is called to settle the dispute(!).

Apparently the jetski got damaged(pre-existing scratch on the bottom)  during the ride and this rough-looking loud-mouth operator is seeking 20,000bht from this poor tourist who has no idea what the heck is going on.

Police(partner) arrives on the scene and after a careful inspection(LOL), he finds the amount to be unfair(previously staged) for the damage(damage!) and settles it at 12,000bht.

My suggestion: if you decide to rent jetski, make sure you bring a bluetooth underwater camera  and a bluetooth printer. take photos of the bottom of jetski and print on A4, have operator sign photos, you sign and keep for future proof.

Enjoy the ride!

Edited by pattayadude

10 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

Well calculated.

250 baht easily divisible by 8.

31.25 each passenger.

Did the driver have a pile of satangs I wonder ?

Hope the image of Pattaya did not go further downhill with this attempted rip-off.

How something can go downhill if it is already at the bottom?

So what are we complaining about it happened yesterday, today, and will happen tomorrow the next day and everyday there after, just the norm.

I have to say to TV I just saw a nice advert for NZ on here, so looks like that's the next holiday destination as I hear they do not rip off tourists there.

6 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

So what are we complaining about it happened yesterday, today, and will happen tomorrow the next day and everyday there after, just the norm.

I have to say to TV I just saw a nice advert for NZ on here, so looks like that's the next holiday destination as I hear they do not rip off tourists there.

Off you go then... door... bang... ass... etc..

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No, there is no 3rd road route.

Baht buses can be seen other places off route for various reasons but not running as buses. 

The story was about a CHARTER.

We know it was the North part of 3rd road. The section of 3rd road that could be called that is really not that big. It was rather a short trip. The fare of 400 was OUTRAGEOUS, but in my view, a typical fare offer from the baht bus charter. 

Also however they boarded, it is well known by locals anyway that if you SPEAK to a driver about going to a specific destination there is a real chance the driver may try to convert to charter, even on set routes.

Thanks of that clarification; I though Third road was still out of bounds despite being there before most bloody baht bus drivers were born!

The article doesn't say it was a charter and simply states, "...the tourists had been picked up on 3rd Road, North Pattaya. They had made their way down to Central Marina..." 

Is it possible to flag down a baht bus on Third, climb in the back without stating destination or negotiating a fare with the driver and simply get off somewhere along one of the baht buses sanctioned routes, be it Second or Beach once it is back on such and only pay the maximum agreed and posted non-charter fare?

Just trying to see where the baht bus 'charter trap' may be sprung. Among other places, baht buses end up at Big C Extra at Klang and the bus station on Nua and have to make their way back into town, preferably not empty. I understand that the bus station lurkers may already have a generally agreed charter fare. How about the Big C Extra lurkers that only have to do a u-turn to head back to their much closer routes? Do they have a 'set' fare to get back down to Second and/or Beach or are they just as mercenary and opportunist as the driver in the OP?

Edited by NanLaew

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Off you go then... door... bang... ass... etc..

I would send you a postcard, but feel it may get nicked in the mail

PS

Ass Etc

Me sorry i am Not way inclined, but if it turns you on, go for it and enjoy

12 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Just coming to Winter in NZ. Enjoy. Tourists get ripped off everywhere.

4 hours ago, champers said:

Just coming to Winter in NZ. Enjoy. Tourists get ripped off everywhere.

Summer here so wait until December if that is ok with you.

Define rippoff NZ style if you will so I know what to avoid.

I can speak the language fluent so that should help

Thanks for your advice

love the baht bus system.

all they need is an automated pay machine in the passenger seat with a big partition between it and the driver.

the drivers side window can be smoked so you cant see in.

routes are easily found online.

Edited by JimCrane

The simple answer is the baht buses must show they are on route or available for charter. Simple! The should have a sign that states it is for hire or on route. If that is too hard then they should change the buses to different colours (they wouldn't like that!) Plus the rates of charter should also be display along side the normal fare costs.

11 hours ago, Joebuzz said:

Police settled it quickly so they could get back to Beach Road to write tickets to farangs riding scooters.

Police settled it quickly so they could get back to Beach Road to write tickets to farangs riding their scooters too slow