Car export in April drops 14.37 percent

webfact

Car export in April drops 14.37 percent

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4Fs5LOqqGxEejIjfVFHJFTAw

BANGKOK: -- Car export for the month of April dropped 14.37 percent to 68,900 units from last April’s 80,400 units, representing the lowest export in 48 months, said Mr Surapong Paisitpattanapong, spokesman of the automotive industry of the Federation of Thai Industries.

He noted that the export decline was in line with a drop in car production, with production in April having dropped 12.85 percent to 120,000 units – the lowest production drop in 64 months.

Except for markets in Asia and Australia, car export to the rest of the world dropped in April in line with global economic slowdown.

Domestic car sale for the month of April increased 15.1 percent to 63,200 units compared to 54,900 units recorded for the same period last year, thanks to increased purchasing power from improved farm prices, introduction of new car models and motor exhibitions.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/car-export-april-drops-14-37-percent/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-19

And I'm still puzzled as to why a Toyota Camry made in Thailand cost 30% less

in Australia including shipping, import duties and better equipment that

what it cost here where the car was made 100km from my home......

29 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Thai people must be richer than Aussie's so can afford a higher price.

19 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Might have something to do with the cost of production in Australia, particularly energy costs and the AMWU.

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

Might have something to do with the cost of production in Australia, particularly energy costs and the AMWU.

ezzra is talking about selling price. Car production in OZ is dead.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

increased purchasing power from improved farm prices

And/or from substantial government subsidies, soft loans, and loan bailouts. Continued rise in household debt (8-year high in April 2017) and cost of living would obfuscate rising purchasing power.

It is interesting indeed. Maybe 30% is a little exaggerated, however my gf's Corolla made in Thailand was slightly more expensive in Thailand than an equivalent model made in Australia, and had less equipment.
She also had a Honda Civic which is the exact model sold in Aus from the same factory in Thailand which cost slightly more than in Aus. Also the Thailand car had less equipment - safety equipment, split rear seat, dipping RV mirror etc.
So I assume taxes are higher?
As another reader said, no more manufacturing in Aus.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Domestic car sale for the month of April increased 15.1 percent to 63,200 units compared to 54,900 units recorded for the same period last year, thanks to increased purchasing power from improved farm prices, introduction of new car models and motor exhibitions.

Don't forget to thank you credit friendly banker. Its all due to him and not your improvements mentioned. Government masking spin doctoring the order of the day. 

1 hour ago, bheard said:

It is interesting indeed. Maybe 30% is a little exaggerated, however my gf's Corolla made in Thailand was slightly more expensive in Thailand than an equivalent model made in Australia, and had less equipment.
She also had a Honda Civic which is the exact model sold in Aus from the same factory in Thailand which cost slightly more than in Aus. Also the Thailand car had less equipment - safety equipment, split rear seat, dipping RV mirror etc.
So I assume taxes are higher?
As another reader said, no more manufacturing in Aus.

Yes no more manufacturing in Australia. Those greedy unions looking for a decent wage killed it all.