Crayfish our way

Hi guys well it's been a long long time since I have posted anything on here, just thought I would post what we have been up to,

We came out of pigs for a while, I've got all my contacts and will always keep them,

I changed some of our pig pens into crayfish ponds, and my word has it taken off they are doing so so well, we went to a couple of seminar with the kings project, they buy back from you when you want to sell so you have always got a place to sell them

I'm going to try and put a video on from you tube but here are some pictures.regards

Jake

received_172179123309112.jpeg

received_174085446451813.jpeg

received_178288052698219.jpeg

received_178288122698212.jpeg

received_169236633603361.jpeg

They are just red claw crayfish, and we have found them very easy, like I said we have been to some seminar with the kings project,

We have only had one large one die and it died when it was moulting, soft body,

We do feed crayfish feed but they also get a bit of rice, boiled veg, and some leaves my wife collects, boils and gives to them the kings project said it was natural medicine

It's just so much easier then the pigs

Not that I have any doubt about your story, I just searched a bit about crayfish farming.

Found a FAO paper that states there exists no confirmed or documented case of commercial success raising crayfish in a tank system. The paper is from 2012.

How is your opinion about this?

Here is the link to the paper:

http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/1468/cultured-aquatic-species-red-claw-crayfish/

2 hours ago, CLW said:

Not that I have any doubt about your story, I just searched a bit about crayfish farming.

Found a FAO paper that states there exists no confirmed or documented case of commercial success raising crayfish in a tank system. The paper is from 2012.

How is your opinion about this?

Here is the link to the paper:

http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/1468/cultured-aquatic-species-red-claw-crayfish/

Been done in Australia for years and years....also prawns (shrimp). A very successful business if you are willing to put the time into it....

Hi guys, 

This is my firs post, I wanted to get into this as a bit of extra income but I read on FB that if you plan to sell your crayfish you need to register with the police otherwise its a B10,000 fine a day  upto 100k.

Where I live its a very popular hobby with a large amount of ppl being involved in it. Have you heard anything about this?

Right let me look again at the questions, @ cow, it has been done and done very successful in this country,

The seminars are advertised in some of the magazine's in Thailand,

And the fine, I do know that we are registered keepers with the kings project this is what you have to be,

The price can very when selling them to the kings project, but because it's a none profit making site, what they sell the to makro for is what they pay you, yes mostly to makro, woof they were selling them to makro for 300bht a kilo or 1200bht a kilo this is what you will get,

But they will buy babies strait of the mother, babies an inch long, 2 inch, they will buy them from you at any stage, that is the big plus,

Yes we may in the future look at selling to eating places but at this moment we are just happy doing what we are doing,

But again I'll tell people the same as I did with the pigs,it took me a lot of time and effort to find good piglets, to find a mill to sell feed to me direct, to find good buyers to find the slaughter house, it was hard work, 

It's the same with the Cray's, you have to work at it, get on the internet, drive round ask. Questions,

Jake

PS thanks for the welcome back weegee 

Hi Jake, good to hear things progressing nicely, to add a bit of info from our limited experience, we're always learning, there is quite a bit of difference in growth rates comparing pond production to tank production, and less feeding costs in pond production, my wife uses both methods, however tank production has some benefits in that (in the case of red claw) they're more marketable to sell for aquariums due to their more favourable (bluefish)colour, thus attaining a higher price (up to 250 per crayfish size dependant) although in last 6 months prices have dropped from as much as 500 per cray.
pond raised tend to have a more unattractive brownish colouring so not so favourable for aquarium sales and depending on size and area reaching from 300-500 per kg.
An earlier question relating to registering is correct, although haven't heard of the police fine, I'll have to check with the wife where, but I think it's the govt department of fisheries that should be notified, a site inspection normally follows before registration is confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Went to Makro(chumphae) today hoping to get some crawfish to eat

Not stocked at that store yet.They did have giant shrimp with their tail size the same as a fully grown crawfish for 370 baht/kilo.

I will wait for the crawfish. 

Hi Jake, good to hear things progressing nicely, to add a bit of info from our limited experience, we're always learning, there is quite a bit of difference in growth rates comparing pond production to tank production, and less feeding costs in pond production, my wife uses both methods, however tank production has some benefits in that (in the case of red claw) they're more marketable to sell for aquariums due to their more favourable (bluefish)colour, thus attaining a higher price (up to 250 per crayfish size dependant) although in last 6 months prices have dropped from as much as 500 per cray.
pond raised tend to have a more unattractive brownish colouring so not so favourable for aquarium sales and depending on size and area reaching from 300-500 per kg.
An earlier question relating to registering is correct, although haven't heard of the police fine, I'll have to check with the wife where, but I think it's the govt department of fisheries that should be notified, a site inspection normally follows before registration is confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Can confirm your statement.
I talked with my gf, she works at department of fisheries (administration).
She said the crayfish is alien species and the reason for registering at your local DOF is to make sure they not escape to the wild.
You also have to confirm not release them into the wild intentionally.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Can confirm your statement.
I talked with my gf, she works at department of fisheries (administration).
She said the crayfish is alien species and the reason for registering at your local DOF is to make sure they not escape to the wild.
You also have to confirm not release them into the wild intentionally.

I would only confirm to release them onto a bed of steamed rice with Old Bay Seasoning....

Because we are part of the kings project our registration is through them, they do it all for you, my wife just had to send our address ect to them, they have been to our place a few times now,

They held a seminar in our village and brought people round our place,

Hope this makes things clear

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...