Benefits of joining the military

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He loined in 81 bought himself out after 3 months training. Says he joined beacuse "Thatcher was elected ( i thought that was 79?)

Regan was elected. And Russia had a new leader!!". Still respect he joined up.  He still can't sing though 

Edited by jeab1980
On 5/26/2017 at 9:05 AM, NancyL said:

And, there's the "VA Agent Orange Program" for vets who served in Vietnam, parts of Thailand and Korea while agent orange was used by the military.  The vet doesn't have to prove that they were actually exposed to agent orange, just that they served in the area at the time agent orange was used.  There is a presumption of exposure.

If they are diagnosed with any of a rather long list of diseases, some fairly common in older men, then they can claim VA compensation.  The list includes prostate cancer and type 2 diabetes.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/claims-postservice-agent_orange.asp

It's my understanding that the care can be received here in Thailand with expenses reimbursed by the VA, although I've not guided anyone through this process.  At the advice of the local VFW, I filed a claim for Hubby who was in Vietnam at the time agent orange was used and has stubbornly high PSA readings.  So far, no biopsy has shown cancer, but the VFW person recommended opening a claim, even without filing any expenses, just so there is a case number on record.  He said the claim will be kept on file for five years and will reduce the time of getting reimbursed for payment in the future by about three months if we do actually have to submit a claim for reimbursement.  Don't know if this is true, but I've submitted VA claims for Low Income Pensions for other people, so it wasn't a big problem to submit an Agent Orange claim for Hubby.   (Yeah, right.  Nice hobby, filing out gov't forms.)

Also, there was an incident where a Vet @ the Perry VA Medical Hospital, Maryland (USA) got Y-E-A-R-S of compensation for a legit condition they had filed some 20+(?) yrs ago. Not sure if his Appeals finally worked, the condition he was applying for were added recently or they overlooked something. Nice check. What would he have received if he had filed that very day 5 yrs ago?  Only from the day he filed -- NOT retroactively!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-4 at 3:01 AM, bbi1 said:

Nope, I'm not stupid enough to do that ;) Going to war to fight someone else you have no beef with because someone in your government has a hard-on to show the world how big their balls are and wanting to flex their muscles on other nations or because they want another nation's oil money. Have you wondered why nobody in the government goes out to fight in wars and get themselves killed while they are fine with sending others out to kill themselves?

So come out and admit it. You are a coward who would hide behind others and let them put their lives on the line just so that you can have freedom of speech.

18 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Wow a whole 2 million funded  from the MOD covernant fund? How much have those faceless toads spent on chassing ex forces for so called crimes 20 to 30 years ago. I also wonder how much they gave to so called refugees coming in. Sorry to sound so cynical but given every goverments lip service to former vetrans in the past i hold out no hope for this little gimmik. I notice its also funded by other major forces charities which i expect are funding it more than the two million vote graber plus they already give out this advise.

Edited by jeab1980

The greatest thing the Army ever taught me was the fact that once in civvy street, you are on your own.

Do not rely on the Government or anyone else for anything. Look after yourself and your family and do not expect any special treatment just because you put your life on the line during peace keeping duty or defending British Sovereign territory. Do not expect special treatment in the NHS because of injuries received in the line of duty.

Expect nothing and you will not be disappointed.

15 minutes ago, Flustered said:

The greatest thing the Army ever taught me was the fact that once in civvy street, you are on your own.

Do not rely on the Government or anyone else for anything. Look after yourself and your family and do not expect any special treatment just because you put your life on the line during peace keeping duty or defending British Sovereign territory. Do not expect special treatment in the NHS because of injuries received in the line of duty.

Expect nothing and you will not be disappointed.

How very very true

Oh yeah, now your talking, babies heads were one of my favourite, chicken curry too, but I think apart from the sausages my all time number one has got to be the bacon grill out of the old tinned individual 24 hr rat packs.
Not got a tin opener though lol, but I do still have my set of diggers which I still use when I am out touring on my motorcycle

Sent from my iPhone whilst having a cold beer

Bacon grill was my favourite even cold!!
My racing spoon which was from a yank MRE was permanently attached to my breast pocket with para cord
I binned the mess tins very early on and used a very small non stick frying pan which i kept in my Bergen and if I just had my webbing the I used my metal 58 pattern mug for cooking with hexi blocks and 3 six inch nails to put it on
Kept the weight down on tabs!! And before I'm accused of walting my number is xxxx0907 the one number you never forget

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
2 minutes ago, Celer et Audax said:

My racing spoon which was from a yank MRE was permanently attached to my breast pocket with para cord
I binned the mess tins very early on and used a very small non stick frying pan which i kept in my Bergen and if I just had my webbing the I used my metal 58 pattern mug for cooking with hexi blocks and 3 six inch nails to put it on
Kept the weight down on tabs!! And before I'm accused of walting my number is xxxx0907 the one number you never forget

Where on earth did the metal 58 pattern mug come from? All we had were plastic mugs on the water bottle that held Bacardi and coke.

Just now, Celer et Audax said:

Yuck lol, could not do it cold.   Was that the metal black mug with the plastic removable rim on it and when you forgot to remove it it started to melt haha.

I used to use a grenade tin, one of the small ones, it would just fit in two of the small tins from the old rat packs and you could use it like a little BV

8 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Where on earth did the metal 58 pattern mug come from? All we had were plastic mugs on the water bottle that held Bacardi and coke.

You had to purchase them yourself, can not remember where I got mine but places like Silvermans used to do them 

22 minutes ago, Caps said:

on a different note, does anyone know how I can get another Veterans Badge please, mine has broke and is now MIA 

I've seen them on Ebay but can't recall how much.

Anyone looking for first time issues can get them easily enough by applying through the link i posted earlier.

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Oh perlease, I have not stopped laughing.

"Those who serve in the Armed Forces, whether regular or Reserve, those who have served in the past, and their families, should face no disadvantage compared to other citizens in the provision of public and commercial services. Special consideration is appropriate in some cases, especially for those who have given most such as the injured and the bereaved."

Not worth the paper it is printed on.

While in the Army, I received excellent hospital and post op support from the Military Hospitals (Hannover and Rinteln). The BMHs were superb. The Doctors and Nurses knew what was required and first class.

In civvy street, it is the local med centre (GP) and join the back of the queue.

In four months time I go into hospital for a hip replacement (only took two years to sort out). Long story but linked to a leg injury. They will not operate on my achilles tendon as they do not consider it necessary at my age. I have to live with the thickened tendon and reduced mobility. I am having that operated on in Thailand and paying myself.

The NHS is a joke and the Armed Forces Covenant a piece of paper not worth blowing your nose on.

Compare this with the medical treatment American, Canadian or Australian forces receive on leaving and it's chalk and cheese. No prizes for guessing who gets the chalk and who gets the cheese.

11 hours ago, Flustered said:

So come out and admit it. You are a coward who would hide behind others and let them put their lives on the line just so that you can have freedom of speech.

Nah bro, I just ain't stupid to go out fighting with peeps I have no beef with just because the government has a hard-on for world domination and oil while they sit comfortably behind their desks sending out peeps to get killed :)

52 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Nah bro, I just ain't stupid to go out fighting with peeps I have no beef with just because the government has a hard-on for world domination and oil while they sit comfortably behind their desks sending out peeps to get killed :)

Marvellous!  

Edited by Caps
11 hours ago, Flustered said:

Oh perlease, I have not stopped laughing.

"Those who serve in the Armed Forces, whether regular or Reserve, those who have served in the past, and their families, should face no disadvantage compared to other citizens in the provision of public and commercial services. Special consideration is appropriate in some cases, especially for those who have given most such as the injured and the bereaved."

Not worth the paper it is printed on.

While in the Army, I received excellent hospital and post op support from the Military Hospitals (Hannover and Rinteln). The BMHs were superb. The Doctors and Nurses knew what was required and first class.

In civvy street, it is the local med centre (GP) and join the back of the queue.

In four months time I go into hospital for a hip replacement (only took two years to sort out). Long story but linked to a leg injury. They will not operate on my achilles tendon as they do not consider it necessary at my age. I have to live with the thickened tendon and reduced mobility. I am having that operated on in Thailand and paying myself.

The NHS is a joke and the Armed Forces Covenant a piece of paper not worth blowing your nose on.

Compare this with the medical treatment American, Canadian or Australian forces receive on leaving and it's chalk and cheese. No prizes for guessing who gets the chalk and who gets the cheese.

There is another side to the story, one which you are unwilling to accept.  Many of the people  whinging about their medical care do not wish to  acknowledge that the illness or injury is not attributable to their actual military service. Or, that their injuries are not critical care issues. Are all of your injuries actually due to campaign service, i.e. suffered while in action? If the injuries were not a direct result of military service, but are instead a  result of lifestyle, or old age etc., then the nation has no greater moral duty of care than that which it provides  for other citizens..  Sorry if you disagree.

One of the problems the US VA hospital system has is that it is gummed up by people who served but who do not have military service related medical issues.  There are Vietnam war draftees who never saw action, making their demands, which deny care to the people who were  actually injured or exposed to poisons  who need the care most. One doesn't see the same degree of entitlement assumptions from  veterans of combat that followed. It's a taboo subject in the USA and some people will blow up over it. Oddly enough, combat veterans whether it is the USA or Australia or Canada  will usually say, give priority to the injured people first and that they'll wait if need be.

The Canadian government  closed its veterans hospitals years ago and transferred medical care to the provinces.  Veterans  line up with civilians for medical care. It's actually better for them for the simple reason that cutting edge and up to date medical care is more readily available at teaching hospitals in the  public sector. There are enhanced mental health  care programs paid for by the  veterans ministry because provincial medicare doesn't cover it.

If one is seriously ill the public health care systems in the west will respond and give priority to those in need of immediate care. The NHS has its deficiencies, but it is still an excellent system and provides one of the broadest forms of coverage in the world.

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

There is another side to the story, one which you are unwilling to accept.  

Where do I state I am unwilling to accept another side? I resent that comment.

Age related illnesses are not the responsibility of the Armed Forces but my injuries are. In my case it is a shattered hip that was repaired very well in a BMH but over the years has deteriorated and needs to be replaced. The achilles tendon was also severed and badly damaged but has thickened over the years.

I will say again that once you leave the armed forces in the UK, you are on your own. You may be brainwashed into thinking you are a special case but you are not. It's a case of join the queue in ringing the surgery at 08:00 hours to try and make an appointment. Then you accept whichever doctor is available but seldom one who has dealt with you before. The NHS in it's current form in simply not fit for duty. Very few civilian doctors have any clue or idea of the problems of ex servicemen. It's a one size fits all.

With the old BMHs we had Doctors and Nurses who understood the situation and knew how to deal with the special needs of patients. Blunt talking, no sugar coating or handing out standard treatment lists printed off from the internet, no waiting 4 months just for a physio appointment with a bored disinterested under qualified technician. Today's dumbed down internet led system simply does not work. You need a GP or Doctor who actually understands your  needs and requirements.

You do not state your nationality anywhere but I would expect you are American going by your knowledge of the American system or are you a Brit who has been injured in service and are commenting on the NHS first hand?.

You have to be in the system to comment on the system.

P.S. I am not angry or irritated, just a plain speaking ex Army Yorkshireman not afraid to say the NHS is not fit for duty.