How safe to swim in sea?

Nemises

I keep finding hypodermic needle's on the beach in Jomtien . Guess there are a lot of diabetic farungs in this area as I look at the diets and health of many here . Possibly the needles that get dumped in the trash get into the water just like all the rest of the trash I see in the water that washes up on the beach . Last one I found walking on the beach I stuck in the side of a tree so others would see and not go in the water but not step on like I almost did when I was walking on the beach in front of the Russian Night market . Jomtien is on the way to becoming just as dirty as Pattaya has become and the view at night is now completely spoiled at night now just like Pattaya with all those towering massive lights above the trees that do little to light the path where you walk just a big show that has added to ruining what was a nice beach .

PS : someone needs to start a new thread about those disgusting lights that look like stadium lighting all along the beach , what a joke as in between the lights that area is pitch black at night and even where the lights are that are above the trees right under those trees it's also dark . The view from my condo looking at ocean has been ruined at night having to close the curtains to even sleep . Beach at night now looks like a major airport landing runway from my balcony [emoji107][emoji107][emoji107][emoji107]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Lumbini said:

I keep finding hypodermic needle's on the beach in Jomtien . Guess there are a lot of diabetic farungs in this area as I look at the diets and health of many here . Possibly the needles that get dumped in the trash get into the water just like all the rest of the trash I see in the water that washes up on the beach . Last one I found walking on the beach I stuck in the side of a tree so others would see and not go in the water but not step on like I almost did when I was walking on the beach in front of the Russian Night market . Jomtien is on the way to becoming just as dirty as Pattaya has become and the view at night is now completely spoiled at night now just like Pattaya with all those towering massive lights above the trees that do little to light the path where you walk just a big show that has added to ruining what was a nice beach .

PS : someone needs to start a new thread about those disgusting lights that look like stadium lighting all along the beach , what a joke as in between the lights that area is pitch black at night and even where the lights are that are above the trees right under those trees it's also dark . The view from my condo looking at ocean has been ruined at night having to close the curtains to even sleep . Beach at night now looks like a major airport landing runway from my balcony emoji107.pngemoji107.pngemoji107.pngemoji107.png

haha, those bulbs are super bright, halogen i think. love the way they form a complete circle out towards the water and inland also. no light shading just a bright bulb very high up glaring down on a super high metal pole apparatus.

my guess is that the thais expect only bad guys down there at night so dont consider ambiance. all the chair vendors pack up late afternoon like they are in a rush to leave.

there is a condo complex right on the tip in pratumnak. nothing but a small space of rocks between the condo balconies and sea. on a curve so nothing viewable to either side. could not figure out how they could screw that up. need to look into the prices there some day.

My beautiful beach view at night and the early morning from a high floor in Jomtien now is gone as I am blinded by what looks life a Tesco Lotus parking lot full of stadium overkill floodlights and then when sun comes up dirty water awaits as I watch the beautiful trees on beach get butchered and cut down . Jomtien was such a nice retreat from what happened to Pattaya beach but now the disease of beach areas being spoiled has spilled over to Jomtien . As I jog in this area the number of stray dogs (possibly with rabies ) is out of control with Thai people feeding them and wherever there is even a few square feet of land that has not been developed it is covered in trash . The giant tour busses now line the streets as the drivers cook on the sidewalks , shower and throw their trash in the fields getting ready for another day of driving masses of Chinese tourist around to get on the fleets of boats that pollute the water all along Pattaya and Jomtien beach like they did when they ruined the Bali Hai pier area that eventually had to be shut down as that area was transformed to a dump covered in oil and sludge from the uncontrolled number of speedboats that all leak oil . It's so nice to have a beach so close to Bangkok where I can commute back and forth but now I am looking for the next unspoiled spot now that Jomtien is suffering same fate as Pattaya and even the water is not healthy to swim in . I am not complaining just sharing what I witness now that could be stopped . About 4 years ago when Pattaya really took a turn for the worst with the widening of Beach Road and uncontrolled over building Jomtien was a real retreat from the mess but now Jomtien is slowly becoming just an extension of the mess that Pattaya has become . Let's face it if the decline of the beach area continues the only thing that will keep this area hot and popular is the girls . As much as love Thailand I must say the Thai's laziness when it comes to preserving & keeping natural beauty clean and preserved is almost nonexistent and this will hurt tourism and or attract a new kind of tourism that is low budget and tacky in fact it's already happening . Must have been a different place 15 or 20 years ago and hope the Thai's figure it out and save their cash cow before they kill it . This thread talks about the water but what is and has happened to the water in this area is just and extension of what is happening on the land also .

On 5/22/2017 at 1:35 PM, Gregster said:

Just arrived to Pattaya. Am thinking of taking a swim in the (dodgy looking, brown coloured) sea. Before doing so, can anyone advise the life expectancy of a farang should he or she put their head under the water?

Ask the Russians . They seem to enjoy it. 

Make sure your vaccinations are all up-to-date and that you have a credible medical insurance plan (that pays in Thailand), keep your mouth and eyes closed when you're in the water, and bath with lots of soap & hot water when you get home, and you'll probably be ok...

Oh, and keep your head on a swivel watching out for jetskis.

My beautiful beach view at night and the early morning from a high floor in Jomtien now is gone as I am blinded by what looks life a Tesco Lotus parking lot full of stadium overkill floodlights and then when sun comes up dirty water awaits as I watch the beautiful trees on beach get butchered and cut down . Jomtien was such a nice retreat from what happened to Pattaya beach but now the disease of beach areas being spoiled has spilled over to Jomtien . As I jog in this area the number of stray dogs (possibly with rabies ) is out of control with Thai people feeding them and wherever there is even a few square feet of land that has not been developed it is covered in trash . The giant tour busses now line the streets as the drivers cook on the sidewalks , shower and throw their trash in the fields getting ready for another day of driving masses of Chinese tourist around to get on the fleets of boats that pollute the water all along Pattaya and Jomtien beach like they did when they ruined the Bali Hai pier area that eventually had to be shut down as that area was transformed to a dump covered in oil and sludge from the uncontrolled number of speedboats that all leak oil . It's so nice to have a beach so close to Bangkok where I can commute back and forth but now I am looking for the next unspoiled spot now that Jomtien is suffering same fate as Pattaya and even the water is not healthy to swim in . I am not complaining just sharing what I witness now that could be stopped . About 4 years ago when Pattaya really took a turn for the worst with the widening of Beach Road and uncontrolled over building Jomtien was a real retreat from the mess but now Jomtien is slowly becoming just an extension of the mess that Pattaya has become . Let's face it if the decline of the beach area continues the only thing that will keep this area hot and popular is the girls . As much as love Thailand I must say the Thai's laziness when it comes to preserving & keeping natural beauty clean and preserved is almost nonexistent and this will hurt tourism and or attract a new kind of tourism that is low budget and tacky in fact it's already happening . Must have been a different place 15 or 20 years ago and hope the Thai's figure it out and save their cash cow before they kill it . This thread talks about the water but what is and has happened to the water in this area is just and extension of what is happening on the land also .

Ban Phe

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 5 months later...