Smartphone for DTAC - 6000 baht range LG, Samsung , Apple or ??

Looking for a phone to use on Dtac ,  I know many TRUE phones are locked , but not sure about DTAC , and it would be nice if it could be unlocked to use other countries.

6000 baht range , would like to have a brand name like LG  or Samsung ,  not sure if Apple sells the cheaper iPhone

And it would be nice if it was "strong" as far as not breaking if sat on or dropped ,  so not one where the screen wraps around the sides etc

It does not need to be the newest model , so an older model discounted would probably be a better deal in the long run,

Any ideas ?     THANKS for your help

Edited by oldcarguy

The older (probably refurbished) Apple iPhone 5 can be had for around 7,500 THB.

Many, many Android phones between 4 - 8,000 THB sold independently that what will work with all the Thai Carrier Providers. Asus, Huawei, Lenovo, Moto, Oppo, Vivo, ZTE, etc. all have some sought-after models.  LG and Samsung have their 'cheaper' models around that price but are not really recommended.

Just drop by any phone shop. Then check the specs. I'd recommend...

Try to settle on a phone size:  5", 5.5", 6", 7" display

Quad Core 1.2 GHz CPU or better

2GB RAM / 32GB ROM or better

more recent version of Android 6 or 7 (Marshmallow or Nougat)

LTE

The biggest difference between high-end and budget phones will be in the overall device speed and the camera.

Durability will be an issue with all phones.

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

The older (probably refurbished) Apple iPhone 5 can be had for around 7,500 THB.

LG and Samsung have their 'cheaper' models around that price but are not really recommended.

If the cheaper LG and Samsung models are better to stay away from what is the best quality phone brand that you are not paying "extra" just for the brand name but because the phone has better components ?

is the iPhone 5C  worth looking at ?   for an iPhone they seem pretty cheap compared to the other iPhones

As far as cheap smart phones, the 3,500 baht Lumina 640 LTE is probably the best phone for the money. It all depends if you can put up with the Windows operating system. I bought one when the Samsung S5 was in the repair shop. I am using the Samsung S5 now. The S5 still has problems but the call quality is good and the camera is very good. The 4G does not work nor does hotspot or USB tethering. When necessary, I use the Windows phone enabling 4G hotspot for my computer. The Windows phone has a surprisingly good camera and voice quality but the camera is not as good as the S5 camera.

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

....... It all depends if you can put up with the Windows operating system.

Windows just does not have all the Apps that Android or Apple does,

Nokia is a nice phone , I had a 520 and it worked fine as a phone ,

but too many apps are just not available ,

24 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

Windows just does not have all the Apps that Android or Apple does,

Nokia is a nice phone , I had a 520 and it worked fine as a phone ,

but too many apps are just not available ,

That is true but how many people need that many apps? Tell me which app you use that you think is not available from the MS store.

Edited by Gary A

40 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Last night I noticed the Samsung J5 at the Sammy sho in the mall for B3690

Seems like a good price.. check it out..

seems like a decent deal ,  reviews are OK for the price , back when it came out last year it was $200 plus

I wonder if its at all the Sammy stores ?

Thanks

Edited by oldcarguy

Hi, another consideration is the operating system you use for your laptop/desktop computer (if you have a laptop). With an iPhone , your photos/music/contacts & others will work in sync with your other Apple devices.

Am not sure if this feature is always available on non Apple devices.

I had an Oppo for years, until it got wet, and thought it was wonderful. The I got a Vivo - it's streets better! It runs better than my desktop! Comes with a silicon protector and a spare!, and screen protector. I have dropped it several times, no problem. Battery life amazing, even streaming Netflix or using as a hot spot. Mine is a V3, newer/bigger ones may be different........

Go with DTAC, excellent coverage, good 4g. AIS is rubbish except in Bangkok. True is a rip-off!

Android apps have a better selection than Apple, IMHO.

2 hours ago, lychee said:

Hi, another consideration is the operating system you use for your laptop/desktop computer (if you have a laptop). With an iPhone , your photos/music/contacts & others will work in sync with your other Apple devices.

Am not sure if this feature is always available on non Apple devices.

That's a good point. If you have a Windows computer, the Windows phone connects with no drivers or hassle.

15 hours ago, lungbing said:

HSBC banking app for one.  I know.

I tried connecting to HSBC Banking and it was no problem connecting to personal banking through the Maxthon browser.

I would thing for that money and that criteria a Samsung J7 is probably your best option, if you feeling adventurous then maybe a Chinese brand like a Xiaomi Redmi Pro or Note 4, you get more bang for your buck with a Chinese phone but if your prone to dropping phones (like i was) then getting a Chinese brand is not best because once you drop it enough times and the screen goes its a headache to repair if not impossible!

After praising the Lumina 640 LTE, I discovered that I missed using it. I took the SIM out of my troublesome S5 and am now happily using the Lumina. I just looked on Lasada and found the price for this phone is now 3,250 baht. The Lumina battery life is much better than the S5.

9 hours ago, Gary A said:

I tried connecting to HSBC Banking and it was no problem connecting to personal banking through the Maxthon browser.

Sorry, Gary, I should have been more specific.  The HSBC app I was referring to generates a one-time-password for access to you account via online banking and that app is not available for a phone running Windows.

2 hours ago, lungbing said:

Sorry, Gary, I should have been more specific.  The HSBC app I was referring to generates a one-time-password for access to you account via online banking and that app is not available for a phone running Windows.

You are correct. There is no app for HSBC in the store.

2 hours ago, exemplary21 said:

Saw the iPhone SE for 6,900 baht at DTAC yesterday.

As for locking, I've always used different SIMs in my DTAC purchased iPhone when OS with no problems.

What the companies are doing now is reduce some of their new phone prices to what appears to be very attractive prices (eg see TRUE display at Central Festival), but the deal is that you must lock in to a 12 month post-pay contract.