90 Day Tourist Visa - Retirement Visa

Questions:  I am planning to Retire in Thailand and was told I have to first request a 90 Day Visa from my home country (USA).  I called the Thai Embassy here in Washington, DC but can't seem to get a clear answer.

When filling out the form. it asks for Non Imigrant Visa or Tourist Visa.  Not really sure which to check?  Isnt the Tourist Visa a 60 day Visa that you add 30 days to at imigration?  Also, are there any financial requirements for the 90 day Visa?

Thanks for any help!!

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 2.10.16 AM.png

It would be best if you could get a single entry non-o visa that would allow a 90 day entry but you cannot get one from the embassy. They will only issue a OA long stay visa. To get the single entry non-o visa you would have to apply at one of the honorary consulates listed here. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

With the single entry non-o visa you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.

With a tourist visa you would have to do a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at some immigration offices. Then you could apply for the one year extension.

You are aware of the option to obtain visa and one year stay in one step from the Embassy?  For some this option, which in effect can provide for almost a two year stay before funds are required in Thailand makes sense.

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

Edited by lopburi3