Thailand Unveils Solar-powered Bus

george

Thailand unveils solar-powered bus

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's first solar-powered bus was announced Tuesday with fanfare suggesting it not only is suitable for public transport in cities, but is also noise- and air-pollution free.

Dr. Anond Bunyaratvej, the secretary-general of the National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT), presided at a press conference to announce the success of developing the country's first solar-powered bus.

Sponsored by NRCT, the environmental friendly bus was developed by Air Marshal Morakot Charnsomruad and his research team.

The six-wheel bus has 20 passenger seats and is seven metres in length. Installed with 10 solar cell panels 1.5 x 0.66 metres on its roof, the cells produce a maximum capacity of 1,200 watts, while the unit is coupled with a 6-volt battery.

Especially designed for passenger service in city zone, the vehicle has a maximum speed of 60 kilometres per hour, an 18,000 BTU air conditioning system, and a radio and TV system. When there is no sunlight, a spare battery system is installed for backup.

Marshal Morakot said that the solar bus is a research project in line with King Bhumibol Adulyadej's initiative in energy saving and envionmental protection. While oil prices are soaring, this type of public transport is quite suitable for city commuting, he said.

The prototype cost Bt8.5 million, Marshal Morakot said, but produced commercially, it may cost as little as Bt 3 million.

The NRCT plans to present the success of this project to HM the King and is considering the feasibility of putting it in full public service.

--TNA 2006-12-26

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's first solar-powered bus was announced Tuesday with fanfare suggesting it not only is suitable for public transport in cities, but is also noise- and air-pollution free.

Dr. Anond Bunyaratvej, the secretary-general of the National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT), presided at a press conference to announce the success of developing the country's first solar-powered bus.

Sponsored by NRCT, the environmental friendly bus was developed by Air Marshal Morakot Charnsomruad and his research team.

The six-wheel bus has 20 passenger seats and is seven metres in length. Installed with 10 solar cell panels 1.5 x 0.66 metres on its roof, the cells produce a maximum capacity of 1,200 watts, while the unit is coupled with a 6-volt battery.

Especially designed for passenger service in city zone, the vehicle has a maximum speed of 60 kilometres per hour, an 18,000 BTU air conditioning system, and a radio and TV system. When there is no sunlight, a spare battery system is installed for backup.

Marshal Morakot said that the solar bus is a research project in line with King Bhumibol Adulyadej's initiative in energy saving and envionmental protection. While oil prices are soaring, this type of public transport is quite suitable for city commuting, he said.

The prototype cost Bt8.5 million, Marshal Morakot said, but produced commercially, it may cost as little as Bt 3 million.

The NRCT plans to present the success of this project to HM the King and is considering the feasibility of putting it in full public service.

--TNA 2006-12-26

:o:D :D 1200 Watt maximum. Thats maybe enough for the radio and TV system. But far away from Aircon or even driving. So thats complete nonsense.

--TNA 2006-12-26

And what about the 2000 brand new air con buses they said they will launch? I haven't seen any!

Especially designed.......

--TNA 2006-12-26

:o:D :D 1200 Watt maximum. Thats maybe enough for the radio and TV system. But far away from Aircon or even driving. So thats complete nonsense.

1200 Watts of electricity at 6 volts = 200 Amps. I don't think that your radio+TV+Air con draws 200 Amps.

hopefully this might help reduce air polution. although how practical this project with such high cost price per bus - is a big question.

I think using sun energy is a good idea.

personally, I'd gladly purchase some affordable solar batteries for my mom-in-law living in the North.

About given figures, 1200 watts = around 1.6 Horse power. After charging 12 hours, it is giving us 19 horsepowers during 1 hour!

What is the Autonomy of this bus? What is the Capacity of the battery? If the figures are correct, the solar charging is just a gadget, the battery needs to be charged from the power network.

More data are requested

1200 Watts of electricity at 6 volts = 200 Amps. I don't think that your radio+TV+Air con draws 200 Amps.

A better way to illustrate this is: 1200 Watts is enough power to run 12 x 100 Watt light bulbs. They must have meant KiloWatts.

An AC that draws 6000 watt , a solar panel system that delivers 1200 watt.

What leads me to beleive it was designed by a Thai ? :o

Exactly. This is a battery powered bus with some incapable solar panels slapped on. While I think they are guilty of truth in advertising here, still this perhaps a very small step in the right direction. I just hope no one is patting themselves on the back as a job well done yet.

Exactly. This is a battery powered bus with some incapable solar panels slapped on. While I think they are guilty of truth in advertising here, still this perhaps a very small step in the right direction. I just hope no one is patting themselves on the back as a job well done yet.

I am not really sure if the data is correct and if the bus is really operational. But seems like most of the people lack the basic knowledge the current flow and the power :D . As one poster said that 6,000 is required to run the AC but keep in mind that house aircon are on 220 volts and this bus seems to be on 6 volts. When you reduce the volts, the Amps are bound to increase and you can calculate this by using this formula.

W(atts) = A(amps) x V(olts)

Besides in the bus they must be using DC motors, which are far more efficient than AC motors. Consider the starter (self) motor in the car. If everything is fine than I believe that this should work fine. :D

Well aware P=IE. Perhaps you need to have a closer look at your starter motor argument. A typical 8 cyl diesel needs around 12,000 watts (1000CCA x 12v) just to turn over the engine. That's exactly 10x the PEAK power of this bus and we're not even talking about the big things like propelling the bus or powering the AC & accessories! 1200W is nothing, not enough to pull a little clothes washer. It is only enough to power about 4 Pentium CPU's, and that's low voltage DC.

A 1200 watt bus simply is not in the neighborhood of credibility and casts doubt on the aptitude of the people who claim it is a "solar" powered bus.

5 foot by 3 generates 315 watt (latest tech).

1 feet = 30.48 centimeter

1.52 meter by 91.44 cm is one panel gives 315 watt

5.77x3.4 meter gives 1200 watt

so 19.6 m2 gives 1200 watt

A bus dimension is maybe 12 by 2.2 meters is 26.4 m2

So if the whole roof is covered by solar cells it will give: 1616 Watt of power.

Alex

I am not really sure if the data is correct and if the bus is really operational. But seems like most of the people lack the basic knowledge the current flow and the power :D . As one poster said that 6,000 is required to run the AC but keep in mind that house aircon are on 220 volts and this bus seems to be on 6 volts. When you reduce the volts, the Amps are bound to increase and you can calculate this by using this formula.

W(atts) = A(amps) x V(olts)

Besides in the bus they must be using DC motors, which are far more efficient than AC motors. Consider the starter (self) motor in the car. If everything is fine than I believe that this should work fine. :D

The 6 volt battery looks like an obvious error on the part of the reporter ... no one would power a 'bus'

with a 6 volt battery. More likely a 48v or so system using banks of batteries.

Also, this 'bus' is said to draw about 1.6 h.p. Yea Right. The average "ride on eletric golf buggy" will

draw at least 4 h.p.

Consider the starter motor in a car ... Errm Yes ... What about it ?

Naka.

"maximum speed of 60 kilometres per hour"

Only when it plunges to the ground from a highway overpass.

Scoff if you will, but there is some great technolgies coming out. A guy in California this last year made an electric car that drives like a bat out of hel_l putting laptop batteries in series and in parrellel.

There are a lot of technolgies that improve fuel efficiency - such as spinning the wheels and others - that basically re-use power - greatly increasing efficiency.

Solar power per se may be a little weak, but it may plug in, too - that was clearly an option reading the report.

If it ever does get off the groud then it will save Thailand a TON of money in a great many areas. From pollution related hospital bills to petroleum savings. Then there are the reduction in pollution, the noise, etc etc.

These things can be damned expensive and still save a lot of money in the long run.

Major kudos if they get it working! They might, too - Thailand has the biggest biofuels program in the world running. Hopefully they keep the price down, and subsidize the purchase of these busses. If the fare is expensive it won't have any practical effect.

It would be really great if they could come up with a small electric motorcycle!! Th would really help the pollution.

One more thing .... here in a rahter environmentally minded area of the US, we are just now getting around to adopting 100 year old fuel technogy and other longstanding - yet easy to do - things to make our busses cleaner and more efficient. Thailand is way ahead of the game by even announcing this stuff.

If they do get it done, they will become a world model.

The baht bus mafia will no doubt use their influence to make sure it's only assigned to night routes. :o

LOL

Unfortnately, I don;'t think the 'bhat bus' mafia is the one they really have to worry about. The oil cartel is FAR more powerful (and a very big reason why we haven't adopted the previously mentioned technologies here alerady)