Thirteen students injured as pick-up overturns after "tire explodes" on Tak to Mae Sot road

webfact

Thirteen students injured as pick-up overturns after "tire explodes" on Tak to Mae Sot road

7am.jpg

Picture: 

TAK: -- Thirteen students aged 13 to 17 were injured - two seriously - after a tire exploded as a pick-up taking them home entered a bend on the Tak to Mae Sot road yesterday evening.

The vehicle driven by 48 year old Prasert Jan-in overturned after what he said was a blowout causing him to lose control, reported Daily News.

Prasert said he did the run from downtown Tak schools back to area villages every day.

All the victims of the accident were taken to Somdej Prajao Taksin Hospital.

The accident happened in the Mae Thor sub-district between kilometer markers 79 and 80.

Mae Thor police have begun an investigation.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-26

There is so much wrong with this on so many levels I'm not even going to comment as it is obvious oh and before anyone else says it.....................yes the tyre was to blame - modern tyres explode all the time - stupidity and negligence doesn't come into it. 

I do hope all those injured have a full and speedy recovery and in the future find some other safer way to get around. 

From what I've observed preventative maintenance does not exist in Thailand. This also includes using tires that are bald and un-safe. Thailand and road carnage will continue primarily because no on in any type of authority cares. 

The No people riding in the back of pick-ups thing is working well then. 

Surprised there was only 13 of them. 

For people with children here, never ever let their safety be solely in the hands of a Thai. 

Edited by Happy Grumpy

59 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

Half a ton of humans,+ speed 

all to often it is the lack of skill behind the wheel,

13 injured out of 45 .......or was is 50 students ,because i see them drive ,

scraping the ground ,every day ( the driver is correct on this)

Unbelievable but not surprised anymore. I know that route from Tak to Maesot as I'm staying there 4 a while. It's through the Tak mountains to Maesot which is bout 75kms. There's at least 4 checkpoints through there so no excuse for these lazy RTP to stop this happening. And the pick up driver does it every school day. The kids prob live in the .mountain villages so no care there then by the authorities.

Just Crazy. ???

Edited by Sooo Upto Me
Not finished

1 hour ago, leeneeds said:

Half a ton of humans,+ speed 

all to often it is the lack of skill behind the wheel,

Exactly!  overloading, and also, I thought there were limits as to passengers in the rear of a pickup, no seat belt, etc etc.

Or does this continue to be the working mans ' method of cheap and dangerous transport.

Little wonder this type of passenger carrying is totally banned in most 'Western' countries.

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

For people with children here, never ever let their safety be solely in the hands of a Thai. 

Of course it's working well, nothing unusual as it's all piss and wind. 

I was just talking to my GF yesterday about this while we where following a ute with about 8 people in the back  in CM. I told her that if the ute gets rammed from behind,or the ute has a blowout,or overturns. The people in the back are ^*#~., that's why they have seat belts in the front. These types of vehicles are not designed to carry people in the back,just for the reason. No protection whatsoever. The reply from the GF was that this is Thailand, and farmers use these vehicles for everything. I am amazed that even the Red taxis I see on the roads around CM carry so many people, even hanging of the back. Things will never change, it's the mentality and the culture. The laws are there,but not enforced. So life is not that important to them.

Yea what about the strict new laws?

Someone needs to be accountable for this.i think it should be the man at the top.

Immagine if they had all perished we would here more ,but doubt it since they were just injuries.

Amazing how a young body can survive things like this.

And happily so.

These laws here reminds of when my mom would put me on restriction for being a bad boy and after 2 days she would feel sorry for me and my 1 month restriction was over.

Another law not adhered to!  What about making a new law; "The upholders of law and order will be prosecuted for dereliction of duty in the event of law breakers not being prosecuted."

Yes, I know!  Don't say it.

These were students returning home from school and most likely in a covered songtaew pickup. Nevertheless, tyre  (lack of) maintenance etc was possibly to blame . 13 students is not an overload by Thai standards.

pickup.jpg.e588ae3a9180b5caca2e39cb64c3cdf7.jpg

Edited by ratcatcher

Given that we have seen vans with completely bald and thread-bare tires waved though Thai BIB road blocks, this particular incident doesn't surprise me.  There is no will to enforce traffic laws in the LOS.

1 hour ago, Titan1962 said:

I was just talking to my GF yesterday about this while we where following a ute with about 8 people in the back  in CM. I told her that if the ute gets rammed from behind,or the ute has a blowout,or overturns. The people in the back are ^*#~., that's why they have seat belts in the front. These types of vehicles are not designed to carry people in the back,just for the reason. No protection whatsoever. The reply from the GF was that this is Thailand, and farmers use these vehicles for everything. I am amazed that even the Red taxis I see on the roads around CM carry so many people, even hanging of the back. Things will never change, it's the mentality and the culture. The laws are there,but not enforced. So life is not that important to them.

It is not just the Red taxis that have people hanging off the back. As I was driving home yesterday afternoon from picking up my daughter at school we noticed a green school bus(pickup) with( I counted) seven students hanging unto the bumper. The driver even had to stop once because the kids were not holding on good and almost falling off. Darn kids never hold the right way huh.

1 hour ago, Borzandy said:

a lucky day, usually there are 20 or 25 students in the pickup. They only have a belt around the neck, not a seat belt.

I saw nothing in this article which indicated there were only 13 students in the pick-up. Only that 13 were injured.

1 hour ago, 01322521959 said:

Thais always over inflate tyres here
I was parking the other day and saw the CANVAS coming through the front tyre of a Honda Wave.
I check my bike pressures every other day.
We all know why the truck tyre blew, the cure rather than prevention attitude here.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've found that tire repair/installation companies in Thailand over inflate tires. But why? I checked mine after buying a new set, and think the tire pressure was almost double the manufactures suggested amount. ??????? I just don't get it....

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Over inflating to 70psi and above is common here. Most people who have school children in the back would drive slowly one would think. A blow out is only a mere inconvenience at a slow speed.

I was waiting behind a songtaew at a PTT station in Chonburi province recently to put air into my salon car tyres. I was amazed when he put 60 psi or more (forget exactly) into the rear tyres. When I asked him he said he carried lots of weight. I told him that I had counted 25 people on a songtaew in Isan he was surprised until I said that they were school kids, then nodded OK!

It was not that he didn't understand normal pressures as he said 'for your car 30/32.

6 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Do you think that I should ban my Thai wife from taking our dual nationality son to school and back then?

When our son went to school and back in Khampaeng Phet 65km each way, who do you think drove the minibus?

How do you think many thousands of school children get to school in rural Thailand?

In all cases using a Thai driver'

How many thousands of km are driven every day by school transport and how many are involved in accidents.

Just another generalisation from you.

Hope the kids, especially those seriously injured, make a swift and full recovery. 

Speed? Bald tires? Overloading? Exhausted driver? Exhausted driver distracted by phone? Poor road surface? Or combination thereof? 

I guess we'll never know. 

Everyday is precious. Enjoy it. It could be your last. 

8 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

They amended no people to no more than five. As we can see, that it being strictly enforced as the PM demanded. But it's so difficult for the police to spot people sitting in the back of a pickup in full view, isn't it.