Wife has Thai PR

My wife is European with Thai PR status.

Can I get "O" Visa based on marriage to PR?   Is the amount I need in the bankTHB 400,000.  Where is the best (easiest) place in the region to get the visa?

Does my wife need to come to the consulate/embassy with me or can I just bring copy documents?  Thanks for any help.

Steve

You can get a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to a person with permanent residency with no financial proof.

From police order 327/2557.

2.19 In the case of being a family member
of a Thai resident (applicable only to
parents, spouse, children, adopted
children, or spouse’s children):
Each permission shall be granted for no
more than one year.
(1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2) The alien must have proof of relationship.
(3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto: or
(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse’s children, said children,
adopted children, or spouse's children must not be married, must live with the alien as
part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person
hereof is of illness or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother: or
(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must be 50 years of age or over.

To apply for the extension immigration will likely want your marriage certificate certified by your embassy or government. If not in English it would have to be translated to Thai.

You could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at some immigration offices and then apply for the one year extension. You would need at least 15 day remaining on your current permit to stay to apply for it.

You would not have a problem getting the non-o visa at any nearby embassy or consulate. You would need your marriage certificate, copy of your wife's passport and residency certificate. Your wife would not need to be with you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevecourso said:

Thanks for taking time to reply really appreciated.  Upon applying for extension in Thailand would the 

financial requirement be THB 400,000 or THB 800,000.  Thanks again.

I think you missed this in my post.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to a person with permanent residency with no financial proof.

Also no mention of financial proof in clause 2.19 of the police order I quoted.

• Like 1

Ubonjoe, I will NOT question you or your info, but must ask you again, just to be clear in this.. You mean that when applying for an extension of stay based upon marriage it is like this:

a - If I apply being married to a normal thai-lady, I must show 400.000 baht in one or another way!!

b - If i apply married to a falng-lady who have gotten PR, all money-demands goes out the window...

So by this you/Thailand means,  that a falang getting a PR is higher ranked than a normal thai citizen then??

Or have I missunderstodd all this.

Thanks Joe for your help..

Glegolo

37 minutes ago, glegolo said:

So by this you/Thailand means,  that a falang getting a PR is higher ranked than a normal thai citizen then??

Not me saying it I only quote the rules. 

No it is not saying a person with PR is higher ranked than a Thai. When you apply for the extension based upon marriage you are showing the 400k baht or 40k baht income to support yourself.

It is not any different than a person who is married to a person with certain extensions of stay getting an extension of stay based upon being their dependent without financial proof. The assumption is that the person with the extension is supporting the person getting the dependent the extension. It does not matter whether the person is male or female.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

2.19 In the case of being a family member
of a Thai resident (applicable only to
parents, spouse, children, adopted
children, or spouse’s children):

Each permission shall be granted for no

Sorry to interrupt, but surely as a husband, then this rule does not apply?

sorry, blind today, spouse!

Edited by Mattd

3 hours ago, glegolo said:

Ubonjoe, I will NOT question you or your info, but must ask you again, just to be clear in this.. You mean that when applying for an extension of stay based upon marriage it is like this:

a - If I apply being married to a normal thai-lady, I must show 400.000 baht in one or another way!!

b - If i apply married to a falng-lady who have gotten PR, all money-demands goes out the window...

Or have I missunderstodd all this.

Thanks Joe for your help..

Glegolo

LOL. Yeah, the easiest visa extension is for spouse or kids of a Thai PR holder, even easier than spouses/kids of thai citizens. I myself a Thai PR male and my foreigner wife and kids extension is a breeze every year.

48 minutes ago, sas_cars said:

LOL. Yeah, the easiest visa extension is for spouse or kids of a Thai PR holder, even easier than spouses/kids of thai citizens. I myself a Thai PR male and my foreigner wife and kids extension is a breeze every year.

Yeah, seeing it from this angle, sure it is quite funny, and probably the one and only time that I ever have experienced that the ranking is a) falang B) thai........ in that order... 555555...

Glegolo

7 hours ago, Mattd said:

Sorry to interrupt, but surely as a husband, then this rule does not apply?

sorry, blind today, spouse!

In the case being discussed, the husband is the spouse of the female PR holder.