Flight evacuated due to smell from fruit

Gimbo

On 5/27/2017 at 0:37 AM, Moonlover said:

Myths about about the ''king of fruits'', including the one regarding alcohol ...

Article about 50 compounds that may contribute to the Durian smell:  http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-does-the-durian-fruit-smell-so-terrible-149205532/

Also says:  "...Even apart from the smell, durians are a scientific marvel. According to a 2009 Japanese study, durian extract strongly inhibits the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), used by the liver to break down alcohol. This might account for a piece of traditional Asian folklore: that getting intoxicated while eating durians can lead to death. ..."

Ripe cantaloupe can be pretty smelly.  I once got about two bushels for free straight from a farm, and they were fairly ripe.  Before we could eat or give them away, the smell in the kitchen was overpowering.

----------------------------

Another article

"... https://phys.org/news/2017-01-durian-fruit-notorious-stench.html#jCp ...

"...Odor Activity Values > 1 were obtained for 19 compounds, among which ethyl (2S)-2-methylbutanoate (fruity; OAV 1700000), ethanethiol (rotten onion; OAV 480000), and 1-(ethylsulfanyl)ethane-1-thiol (roasted onion; OAV 250000) were the most potent, followed by methanethiol (rotten, cabbage; OAV 45000), ethane-1,1-dithiol (sulfury, durian; OAV 23000), and ethyl 2-methylpropanoate (fruity; OAV 22000). Aroma simulation and omission experiments revealed that the overall odor of durian pulp could be mimicked by only two compounds, namely, ethyl (2S)-2-methylbutanoate and 1-(ethylsulfanyl)ethane-1-thiol, when combined in their natural concentrations. ..."

Methanethiol , AKA methyl mercaptan,  is really smelly stuff:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanethiol

Edited by Damrongsak

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking durian or fresh fruits on a plane....you're only going to get it confiscated when you have to declare it on landing back in a Western country, or if you don't declare it face a massive fine if they bust you. Absolute stupidity imo to even try in the 1st place...

On 26/05/2017 at 4:37 PM, samsensam said:

you may like the smell (most of my thai friends dont like durian or the smell) but the general consensus is that it is by many considered an unpleasant smell, i have seen hotels and guest houses not allowing durian in rooms, i have seen it removed from buses and aircraft. exact venues, dates and times dont spring to mind but anyone spending time is thailand will, i'm sure, know this to be the case.

Agreed. Seen it banned in many places, even rental cars!

Working regularly in Asia I once had a large sports bag full of rose apples from a clients farm when trying to check in at KL in Malaysia.   On the baggage scan it set off the alarms.     I was made to open the bag myself, even after explaining what was inside.    After a lot of laughter and a few handouts of the fruit I was allowed to put the bag on the flight.    It made wonderful wine once back in the UK..

On 5/26/2017 at 10:27 PM, tazly said:

you said all hotels, now you say one?  Besides it smells great.

He said "A Hotel in Thailand" which in turn, does not constitute "All Hotels"
You seem to be in a particularly argumentative mood today.

BTW, Durian stinks to high heaven

On 28/05/2017 at 1:17 PM, lucjoker said:

No, not the dog  droppings........but the durian i accidentally stept in  ...........

I have house shoes ......or did you think i walk barefoot like a monkey?

What's wrong with walking barefoot in the house. I do all the time.  And what's special about how a monkey walks.

On 5/31/2017 at 3:29 AM, simoh1490 said:

Durian is way way more than 39 baht at present in the North, my better half just bought three small pieces costing 225 baht, in Central Festival it runs to 900 baht!

Mrs has just paid 12£ for a piece in the UK, she bout one in Thailand before we casme home 4 weeks ago and paid 350 baht before it was skinned,