Jump to content

Flight evacuated due to smell from fruit


Gimbo

Recommended Posts

In Norway yesterday, a local flight was evacuatetd at the air port, as passengers could smell gas described as smelling like propane. 
The following investigation lead to a suit case belonging to an Asian woman (I am willing to bet she was Thai retuirning to farangland after a visit in Thailand).

The suit case contained durian :-)

As it happens my wife, who happens to be from Buri Ram, could not understqand why this was funny to me. As "Durian is only 39 baht in Thai, and very expenive here"...so it was natural to bring it...
then she muttered somethin about farang being ting-tong, as after 10 years here in Norway, she still cant understand that here, she is the foreigner :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

If you're staying in a Thailand, in a Thai hotel, owned by Thai owner, operated by Thai staff and there's a Thai sign in Thai, that durian is not allowed in the rooms, there has to be something to smell of durian. :smile:

Nonsense

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, tazly said:

you said all hotels, now you say one?  Besides it smells great.

 

you may like the smell (most of my thai friends dont like durian or the smell) but the general consensus is that it is by many considered an unpleasant smell, i have seen hotels and guest houses not allowing durian in rooms, i have seen it removed from buses and aircraft. exact venues, dates and times dont spring to mind but anyone spending time is thailand will, i'm sure, know this to be the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, samsensam said:

 

you may like the smell (most of my thai friends dont like durian or the smell) but the general consensus is that it is by many considered an unpleasant smell, i have seen hotels and guest houses not allowing durian in rooms, i have seen it removed from buses and aircraft. exact venues, dates and times dont spring to mind but anyone spending time is thailand will, i'm sure, know this to be the case.

you must have a very small group of friends!  This is like saying I asked 3 people if they liked it....they said yes; therefore 100% of the people I asked said they liked it.

Edited by tazly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tazly said:

you must have a very small group of friends!  This is like saying I asked 3 people if they liked it....they said yes; therefore 100% of the people I asked said they liked it.

Yes, that's exactly right. You asked 3 people, they all liked it, so yes 100 per cent of the people you asked liked it.

If 1 didn't like it then 66.66 per cent liked it and so on.

You should apply to Mastermind. Topic : The Obvious.

Edited by thequietman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Yes, that's exactly right. You asked 3 people, they all liked it, so yes 100 per cent of the people you asked liked it.

If 1 didn't like it then 66.66 per cent liked it and so on.

You should apply to Mastermind. Topic : The Obvious.

don't feed the trolls

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Yes, that's exactly right. You asked 3 people, they all liked it, so yes 100 per cent of the people you asked liked it.

If 1 didn't like it then 66.66 per cent liked it and so on.

You should apply to Mastermind. Topic : The Obvious.

Yes obviously sharper than you Einstein, since you weren't able to come up this....the underlying point is that sample size is everything and saying you know one or 2 people is an invalid survey......so enough teaching for now...you'll have to do the rest yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tazly said:

Yes obviously sharper than you Einstein, since you weren't able to come up this....the underlying point is that sample size is everything and saying you know one or 2 people is an invalid survey......so enough teaching for now...you'll have to do the rest yourself.

NO, if you stated that he was labeling the whole population then I would understand your point. Go back and read your post again and then when you are finished, get back to licking windows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, thequietman said:

NO, if you stated that he was labeling the whole population then I would understand your point. Go back and read your post again and then when you are finished, get back to licking windows.

Boy you sure are thick....re-read what was written which I have boldened, italicized and underlined for you (hint especially the part that says "general consensus")

"you may like the smell (most of my thai friends dont like durian or the smell) but the general consensus is that it is by many considered an unpleasant smell"

 

And do get some new specs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last week I was teaching about foods and linking it with like / don't like. From the 20 classes I taught I would say only about 15% of the students per class, said they liked Durian. The new generation of Thai's seem to be shifting from eating mostly Thai foods and are now enjoying foreign  foods more. To be honest I have seen many hotels, apartments, shops and even the 7/11's which will not allow Durians to be consumed within their premises. Most buses will only allow it to be loaded on if it is in the under compartment. Planes will not accept unless it goes with the main luggage and most taxis will not accept it in the car. For me, I think it is horrible. It stinks and does not taste good. It is also not healthy to eat in high quantity especially for people with diabetes and should not be consumed with alcohol as it can kill you.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chowny77 said:

Last week I was teaching about foods and linking it with like / don't like. From the 20 classes I taught I would say only about 15% of the students per class, said they liked Durian. The new generation of Thai's seem to be shifting from eating mostly Thai foods and are now enjoying foreign  foods more. To be honest I have seen many hotels, apartments, shops and even the 7/11's which will not allow Durians to be consumed within their premises. Most buses will only allow it to be loaded on if it is in the under compartment. Planes will not accept unless it goes with the main luggage and most taxis will not accept it in the car. For me, I think it is horrible. It stinks and does not taste good. It is also not healthy to eat in high quantity especially for people with diabetes and should not be consumed with alcohol as it can kill you.  

This entire post is filled with misinformation and pernicious nonsense....especially the old wives tale re. the alcohol.  The "new" generation of Thais also is not switching to western foods....this is unsubstantiated nonsense!  Durian smells and tastes great...try burping some up after drinking a beer, you can clear a nice space in the bar around you and enjoy the smell for second time.

Edited by tazly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, tazly said:

Boy you sure are thick....re-read what was written which I have boldened, italicized and underlined for you (hint especially the part that says "general consensus")

"you may like the smell (most of my thai friends dont like durian or the smell) but the general consensus is that it is by many considered an unpleasant smell"

 

And do get some new specs!

NO, I am responding to this post - you must have a very small group of friends!  This is like saying I asked 3 people if they liked it....they said yes; therefore 100% of the people I asked said they liked it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, tazly said:

you said all hotels, now you say one?  Besides it smells great.

It stinks,

I forbid everyone  to bring it into my home or into my car,

if they want to eat it ,ok, but if i smell it , they can not come in my house.

Same thing for bamboo cooking...not in my house.

And i dont care what others think about this.

My house -my rules

btw i do wear my shoes in my house.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, samsensam said:

 

you may like the smell (most of my thai friends dont like durian or the smell) but the general consensus is that it is by many considered an unpleasant smell, i have seen hotels and guest houses not allowing durian in rooms, i have seen it removed from buses and aircraft. exact venues, dates and times dont spring to mind but anyone spending time is thailand will, i'm sure, know this to be the case.

The artificial smell added to Propane gas which has no smell at all, is almost identical to that of Durian.

Many airports have a sign, prohibiting the carriage of durian.

In Indonesia, they sell durian flavoured ice-cream.   No accounting for taste!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Gimbo said:

Durian is only 39 baht in Thai,

Wow I wish it was. I absolutely love the stuff. Unfortunately the Chinese are buying heaps of it, sometimes buying whole plantation crops before ripening which of course inflates the price for the local market. This month you're looking at Bt80 - 100 kg. Should go down a bit next month but in the past few years (when the Chinese moved in) I can't remember seeing it for less than Bt70 kg. Don't know what all the fuss is about. Beautiful smell.:smile:

Over Bt 200 for this, this month I reckon...

zhjq1r56jqbz0cd.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

If you're staying in a Thailand, in a Thai hotel, owned by Thai owner, operated by Thai staff and there's a Thai sign in Thai, that durian is not allowed in the rooms, there has to be something to smell of durian. :smile:

100% correct! Most will agree, although some durian maniac will pop up shortly disputing it.

 

Often wondered, who was the first person in history to eat durian? I mean who, when breaking into the thing and being hit with that awful stench, would think of tasting it? Being the first, they had no one to tell them that despite the smell it was really yummy.

 

My daughter loves it, but I make her eat it on the balcony. I'd love to know what it tastes like, but I just can't get past the smell. I suppose if I was starving I'd kill for some.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...