Police mount checkpoints on Route 7 aiming to stop illegal foreign guides heading for Pattaya.

rooster59

Police mount checkpoints on Route 7 aiming to stop illegal foreign guides heading for Pattaya.

IMG_9982-1000x580.jpg

Image: Pattaya News

Tourist and highway police set up several checkpoints at toll booths on Route 7 leading to Pattaya in an effort to arrest illegal tour guides.

They were checking tour buses and minivans in line with policy to stop foreigners taking jobs that only Thais can do.

But there were no reports of a single arrest in the story reported by Pattaya News.

Police in these situations are usually targeting Chinese nationals working with Chinese tour groups.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-27

You couldn't make this crap up, looking for people before they've done anything wrong.

I'd like to see all these Thais who can do the job correctly, especially when it comes to Chinese and Russian tourists.

On a brighter note it's great to see that the police have the resources available to spend on this kind of activity when people are out there bombing hospitals in Bangkok and massacring people (Thai people who do jobs that only Thais can do) on a daily basis in the south.

16 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

jobs that only Thais can do

an oxymoron

16 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

checkpoints at toll booths on Route 7 leading to Pattaya ....... But there were no reports of a single arrest in the story reported by Pattaya News

probably because the buses full of illegal tourist guides had turned off earlier at Laem Chabang and were pouring into Pats via Sukhumvit. :biggrin:

While the buses were stopped, did they check road worthiness, registration, chassis numbers, driving licences, sobriety of drivers, legal number of passengers ...

... I wonder how easy it would be for a Chinese tour guide to hide among Chinese tourists? 

Why are the priorities of Thai officials always so f....d up?

They always seem to do these fluff crackdowns with such glee, but never lift a finger to go after the real criminals.   I know, it's all just a dog and pony show for the press, to be seen to be doing something, regardless of how ineffective it is.

1 hour ago, WhizBang said:

Why are the priorities of Thai officials always so f....d up?

They always seem to do these fluff crackdowns with such glee, but never lift a finger to go after the real criminals.   I know, it's all just a dog and pony show for the press, to be seen to be doing something, regardless of how ineffective it is.

Shhssh they will sue you for exposure or something. 

Good to see the authorities going after the,  Evil foreign criminals working illegally in pattaya,  Taking jobs away from good  hard working Thai citizens.

Go get them,  lock em up,  throw away the key for 5 years,  then deport them,  ban them for life.  :coffee1:

There are a lot of big shoes in this town. :smile:

danielle-the-clown-383.jpg

Edited by stanleycoin

If they had sufficient local guides with proper language skills there would be no need for foreign tour guides......I seriously doubt they have any Inuit speaking tour guides even a guide with proper English skills is hard to find.

Edited by just.a.thought

Is only Pattaya suffering from illegal tourguides? 

Why not let the authorities at the airport take care of this?

Apart from that.........every Chinese tourgroup is accompanied by a Chinese tourguide.

Usually a Thai tourguide will join the group upon arrival at the border or airport. 

More and more Thai tourguides offer their services while not being certified. 

I hope the police take those people out too. 

13 hours ago, Shutterbug Guy said:

Protectionism at it's finest.  If they have their sh*t together all they have to do is hire one incompetent Thai guide, blend in with the tourists and do their thing.  300 baht a day, no problem.

A certified tourguide gets in between 1,500 and 2,500 per day (up to his/her negotiation skills).

Even a koko-loco will not show up under 1,000 per day.

On 5/28/2017 at 8:39 PM, Shutterbug Guy said:

Protectionism at it's finest.  If they have their sh*t together all they have to do is hire one incompetent Thai guide, blend in with the tourists and do their thing.  300 baht a day, no problem.

Minimum salary for a Tour guide is 1,000.- Baht per day.

I'm sure a company is able to train and certify a tour guide cheaply, even if it's just to fill a slot to remain legal. There are plenty of unemployed locals looking for work.

Where do people get these minimum salaries? Is it written somewhere, is it a law? I've personally hired guides for much less, and I've paid more also.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The governement runs an official and certified tour guide program which involves twelve, twelve hour days of study (on Fri/Sat/Sun for a month) plus a series of tests. That's topped off with a three day tour of the area (five provinces) the guides are to be certified for and this entails everyone having to make presentations, in English, to the rest of the group (of around 50 or so). The final exam must be passed or no license, poor or no English, no license - the cost for the northern Thailand region is 17,500 baht which is actually not bad value given the things that are included, hotels, buses, meals, lecture rooms, staff etc. My better half just finished the course which was something she wanted to do, I'm all in favour of bogus guides being identified and stopped because they simply don't have the knowledge the official guides are required to learn which is pretty extensive.