Thailand promotes potential of gifted children

rooster59

Thailand promotes potential of gifted children

supawadee wangsri

PNSOC600526001018101.jpg

BANGKOK, 26 May (NNT) - The Education Council and the Office of Knowledge Management and Development are promoting proper development of gifted children. 

Education Council Secretary General Kamol Rotkhlai disclosed that he had discussed with Knowledge Management and Development Office Director Mr. Athipat Bamrung on the promotion of gifted children. 

The Office of Knowledge Management and Development is directly for cooperating with the public and private agencies to develop gifted students to become creative leaders and will work with the Education Council to establish the intelligent children development center and create a database of gifted children throughout the country. 

The Secretary-General of the Education Council added that the cooperation between the two agencies will turn Thailand into a learning society and create many new innovations.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-27

Going to need some serious teacher retraining and much better wages to attract the right sort of person to the profession for this to succeed. 

Need to have teachers who understand, believe in and can devolop growth mindset thinking. 

A long time ago when in grade school there was a boy who was always looking out the window,never paying attention

and slapped a lot by his teacher.

The same teacher called him stupid and slow.

When he finally left grade school he happened to meet good teachers who saw what he was,gifted.

He became an engineer and i lost track of him but i am sure he worked his way up.

31 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

... cooperation between the two agencies will turn Thailand into a learning society and create many new innovations.

Well, that fulfills this year's quota of empty vows and promises. Back to dreaming up schemes and methods by which to spend the budget without actually doing anything. 

Hmm... i was a dropout. Spent my younger years on the streets until my early 20s where i hit the straight an narrow because of legal and health reasons. Had a surprising 141iq i found out and ended up self teaching myself and was fortunate enough to retire at 38. Im not saying im gifted. More like lucky but there were definitely no teachers that ever gave me anything more than problems. They didnt like my desire to question everything so if this country is to assist the gifted i think a little less opression would be step 1!

On another note my wifes nick name is gift. Dumb as a door nail....

Then they need to also be promoting maternal nutrition, natural unmediated birth, delayed umbilical cord clamping, mother and baby not separated after birth, extended breastfeeding, proper introduction of solid foods at appropriate times, importance of good nutrition throughout childhood, parents reading to their children from infancy.  

Too much to ask for?

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Going to need some serious teacher retraining and much better wages to attract the right sort of person to the profession for this to succeed. 

Need to have teachers who understand, believe in and can devolop growth mindset thinking. 

Anymore never to see daylight again thoughts ?

If you cross two different dog breeds, you will get strongest, most imune to diseases and most intelligent dog. Good example are street dogs, that are able to survive anything. And also pure breeds dog, that in older age suffer from genetic diseases (eg german shepards and their back hips).

Wonder if there's something to in Pattaya in the case of gifted children. Because you are simply breeding two or free different races together here. Results should be astonishing. And they probably are. :smile:

Edited by howard ashoul

My friends son was gifted. He too was looking out the window because he was bored. So the teacher asked him to complete the lesson. It was on computers. He even showed the teacher a better way in doing a particular program and was marched up to the principles office for being insolent. His Dad picked him up and sked what went wrong, the kid said 'Pa, the teacher didn't understand the concept I was showing so I showed her. Pa, why are the teachers not smart enough.' He was 11 or 12. The teacher had a problem with PowerPoint

His younger sister beat him at the end of year 12. She is a Doctor and he did Nano Technology.

The gifted program will be for the elite of Thailand so they won't have to pay school fees. The barriers to being a gifted child are many, whilst the ones implementing the program will be able to manipulate the system. Gifted kids aren't street smart.

Edited by Chris Lawrence

the term 'gifted' is used quite loosely here, i have thai friends whose children are on gifted programmes a school, while intelligent and/or academic and hard working they are not gifted in the western sense where a child would have talent or capabilities greatly exceeding what would is expected for a child of their age.

1 hour ago, FredNL said:

Gifted in Thailand ???
Does it mean an IQ higher than 82 ???

Well, IQ 100 means, that you are in the middle of your society. 99 means, that you are under average. 101 means that you are over average.

So when you compare your IQ (eg 90) with IQ of your africo american friend (eg 110) you can be more clever than him. He is is just over average in his society and you are under average in your society. But you sociefy have higher standars to be and average (100).

And now you can see, why your comments is stupid. If they were accepting children wigh IQ 82 that would mean, that even thais with underaverage IQ would be accpeted (=90% of thais). As a IQ 100 represent an average thai person.

27 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

Well, IQ 100 means, that you are in the middle of your society. 99 means, that you are under average. 101 means that you are over average.

Though variations do exist, generally scores that fall between 90 and 109 are considered "Average". Scores that fall between 110 and 119 are considered "High Average" and scores between 80 and 89 are classified as "Low Average".

A lot of gifted children aren't leaders.  In fact a lot of good leaders are smart rather than intelligent.  Intelligent people create and do research.  Smart people make things easier and figure out how to use things to the best advantage.  Careful where you put gifted children, help them learn and create.  Don't retard them by imposing the wrong values on them.

so the next ****exciting**** news story will be....

at local shopping mall 'bookstore' stores.... hundreds of anxious Thai shoppers are queuing up in long lines to buy........ books.... for their gifted children.

the most recently published science books.... as well as historical novels.... of all kinds.... were widely seen as particularly in demand......

..... at the shopping mall 'bookstore' stores.

Edited by maewang99