Unidentified foreigner dies from condominium fall in Pattaya in an apparent suicide

webfact

An unidentified foreigner dies from condominium fall in an apparent suicide

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37SdA2VVmrcvUAHz5X5Ra4tC

PATTAYA: -- A foreigner plunged to his death from a condominium building in Pattaya on Saturday in an apparent suicide.

Police have been examining the CCTV system of the condominium building in an attempt to identify the male victim who was estimated to age between 65-70 years old.

Security guards and staff at the condominium told police during the interrogation that the man drive a pickup truck into the condominium and park it in front of the building before taking a lift to the 8th floor.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/unidentified-foreigner-dies-condominium-fall-apparent-suicide/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-29

21 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

i wonder what the suicide rate is here; especially expats

The baseline for suicide among the elderly in western countries is already quite high, though individual suicides are rarely reported in the media. In some countries, the elderly are even at greater risk of suicide than adolescents. Then you add that to the fact that many expats come to Thailand (and other retirement 'havens') with minimal real social support, and you have a bigger problem.

That said, I fully intend to 'turn the lights out' myself when I reach an age where life is no longer rewarding. I don't think there's anything wrong with that so long as you do it in a way that doesn't harm others...   

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

Nothing out  of the ordinary. Fatalities arising from suicide demonstrate specific characteristics specific to gender, age, nationality, religion, race etc.  Because Thailand attracts  a demographic from which suicide is more common, it  appears that the frequency of suicide is higher than "normal".  In plain language, people aged 65+ are more likely to commit suicide due to issues such as senility, chronic illness including mental illness such as depression. while people aged 40 and under are less likely to commit suicide. because Thailand attracts older foreigners who come from cultures where suicide is more likely, the suicide activity reflects this. These people would most likely have killed themselves in their homelands, but chose to do so in Thailand.

Note too that the media  gives more coverage to suicides in Thailand  than they do in the west because the concept of privacy and  concern for  the deceased's family isn't a priority in Thailand. Many suicides in the wets are not reported. For example, if someone jumps in front of the subway in NYC, London, Paris, Toronto etc., it isn't publicized because the   authorities do not want to encourage people predisposed to suicide or spook passengers.

8 hours ago, Docno said:

The baseline for suicide among the elderly in western countries is already quite high, though individual suicides are rarely reported in the media. In some countries, the elderly are even at greater risk of suicide than adolescents. Then you add that to the fact that many expats come to Thailand (and other retirement 'havens') with minimal real social support, and you have a bigger problem.

That said, I fully intend to 'turn the lights out' myself when I reach an age where life is no longer rewarding. I don't think there's anything wrong with that so long as you do it in a way that doesn't harm others...   

See you on the other side.  You won't see me jumping though :burp:

19 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Nothing out  of the ordinary. Fatalities arising from suicide demonstrate specific characteristics specific to gender, age, nationality, religion, race etc.  Because Thailand attracts  a demographic from which suicide is more common, it  appears that the frequency of suicide is higher than "normal".  In plain language, people aged 65+ are more likely to commit suicide due to issues such as senility, chronic illness including mental illness such as depression. while people aged 40 and under are less likely to commit suicide. because Thailand attracts older foreigners who come from cultures where suicide is more likely, the suicide activity reflects this. These people would most likely have killed themselves in their homelands, but chose to do so in Thailand.

Note too that the media  gives more coverage to suicides in Thailand  than they do in the west because the concept of privacy and  concern for  the deceased's family isn't a priority in Thailand. Many suicides in the wets are not reported. For example, if someone jumps in front of the subway in NYC, London, Paris, Toronto etc., it isn't publicized because the   authorities do not want to encourage people predisposed to suicide or spook passengers.

agreed 100%!

22 hours ago, YetAnother said:

+ 300 British deaths a year many put down to suicide. Well suicide is what the bib say. Numbers released by UK.

Germans deaths are very high to.

Its the land you come to die in.

20 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Nice story but fiction

Almost every death that is suspicious in the UK hits the News on television and in the news papers and I mean every death. Suicides here are reported unlike many in your neck of the woods where the bib do not know there ass from their elbow and take the easy way out.

2 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

+ 300 British deaths a year many put down to suicide. Well suicide is what the bib say. Numbers released by UK.

Germans deaths are very high to.

Its the land you come to die in.

And your source for that information is?

farang deaths dot com reports 50 suicides by falling during 2016, as a percentage of resident expats that's a very low number.

Also, the UK embassy no longer keeps records of the number of deaths by cause, as of last year.

Edited by simoh1490

On 5/29/2017 at 9:08 AM, Docno said:

Please don't jump from a high building, must be a terrible mess to clean up or you may land on someone else who is walking by.

59 minutes ago, saakura said:

Please don't jump from a high building, must be a terrible mess to clean up or you may land on someone else who is walking by.

Yep. It was already hard enough to negotiate Pattaya's chaotic streets and sidewalks before we had to start dodging falling bodies all the time. Even an optimist such as myself can't see how we can count the rise of balcony diving among Pattaya's improvements over the years.

it seems like every other week l see some poor bugger has jumped off a bulding in pattaya.

davetrout, on 2015-02-28

Naturally, any balcony dive creates a major stir throughout the vast CSI: TVF network. It spreads like a virulent STD from the local Pattaya dicks to the vast population of off-brand wannabes free to post worldwide from their bars, rented rooms, council estates, trailer parks, 7/11 curbstones, school lunchrooms, internet cafes, park benches, retirement homes, time warps, alternative universes, etc. You have no idea who or where they are, esp. given all the illiteracy (from the supposed native English speakers; maybe the cat walked on the keyboard? Friend o' mine's cat does that sometimes).

So we're gonna hear repeatedly that

• the forged note,
  • the Bogart last cigarette butt, and
  • the chewing gum on the balcony railing

were all police plants. The true perp will never be caught or if caught will never do time! It was the gf, the bg, the lb, the wife! A Burmese is gonna be framed! The style and dignity of your dive, with its cool nod to The Last Tango In Paris, cheapened with red herrings thrown all over it!

So given the powerful convergence of balcony dive and Thai police, a particularly virulent group will need to invade your dive's forum thread: the paranoids afflicted with Tic-Related Police Conspiracy OCD (TRPCOCD). Maybe even a few doomsayers to utter their apocalyptic prophecies of a Golden Egg Layers Exodus and THE END. Oh, yes.

As any resident knows, Pattaya's far more likely to shorten than lengthen your life anyway, relieving you of your superfluous wallet on your way out. Fortunately everything's free after you ascend to that crowded Pattaya Beer Bar In The Sky (PBBITS) where balloons, cold Chang, and lovely birds await. Oh—and fine Sunday roasts, of course. Conclusion: focus more on how best to manage a demise here that may well arrive betimes.

Edited by JSixpack

16 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

And your source for that information is?

farang deaths dot com reports 50 suicides by falling during 2016, as a percentage of resident expats that's a very low number.

Also, the UK embassy no longer keeps records of the number of deaths by cause, as of last year.

No but the UK  FO does it has to by law Google and see

Edited by wakeupplease

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

I asked you for your source, where is it?

Lie down and I will fan you, stop being lazy and do as I did Google that is why its there try British deaths for a start

Or maybe its blocked by some one close to you use VPN

Just now, wakeupplease said:

Lie down and I will fan you, stop being lazy and do as I did Google that is why its there try British deaths for a start

Or maybe its blocked by some one close to you use VPN

If you post data that you want to present as fact, you also need to be able to support it by presenting the appropriate link, otherwise you are in violation of forum rules by posting knowingly false and misleading information.

Here's some perspective:

Resident expat Brits in Thailand = circa 50,000

UK visitors to Thailand per year = circa 900,000

UK deaths in Thailand per year = about 390

Death rate = 0.041%

UK population = circa 70mill.

UK deaths per year, roughly 525,000

UK death rate in the UK = 0.079% (double the rate of Brit deaths in Thailand.

Conclusion: Brits in Thailand halve their risk of death by living here, over and above living in the UK.

Next!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/12158930/Biggest-annual-rise-in-deaths-for-almost-fifty-years-prompts-warnings-of-crisis-in-elderly-care.html

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/brits-dying-thailand-total-deaths-jump-percent-18460/