One Way & The Thai Way

Gonzo the Face

Being on the river, I tend to watch the Flood Chart Reports, maybe more than most.  Interesting to note.  At (900 AM this morning and for the previous 28 hours the river level was reported at 1.38 level.  Now keep in mind that there was very heavy and substantial rain for a good portion of the night.  Then at 10:00 AM the level dropped to 1.37 level.  I cannot , for the best of me believe that throughout that rainy night it didn't vary then this morn as the run off from the hills surrounding should have some effect..... what happens .......   I don't feel a lot of trust in that reporting any more

There's are flood gates (for lack of a better term, might be better described as a controlled weir) south along the river (follow the west side of the river from Chang Klan, you'll eventually drive past them) which they use to control water levels. Not sure of the history, or whether in 2011 there was just too much water for them to make a difference, but it will likely explain any drop in the water level. 

Edited by lordblackader
typo

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

Gonzo, can you post the link to the daily water level figures.  I just tried the one I used to go to and it doesn't work for some reason (even though I have Flash enabled).

Doesn't seem right but works for me.

Click on # 6. then on the first display box. .....good luck

http://hydro-1.net/

24 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

There's are flood gates (for lack of a better term, might be better described as a controlled weir) south along the river (follow the west side of the river from Chang Klan, you'll eventually drive past them) which they use to control water levels. Not sure of the history, or whether in 2011 there was just too much water for them to make a difference, but it will likely explain any drop in the water level. 

Yeah, I remember the story that went with putting those locks down there....... to keep the city from flooding..... after the water has passed the city

50 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Just drove past them ,big difference in levels. If they opened them right up the city level would obviously drop dramatically.

Apart from keeping water in the city during dry times, I have never seen the point of this multi million baht project.

Pity they didnt spend that money on drainage around the cities flood prone areas, Night Market ,Chang Klan Rd etc