How early to apply for a UK visitor visa?

I'm planning on taking my (British) son and Lao wife to the UK for Christmas. There are some good flight deals around at the moment and I'm sure seats will start filling up soon, so I'm keen to book our flights.

My wife will need a Visitor visa. If we plan to travel in December, how soon can she apply for the visa? She had a Marriage Visitor visa before, so I'm fairly confident she will get a new visa, as there have been no changes to our circumstances. I'm still reluctant to book the flights now - just in case.

The UKVI advise that you shouldn't apply for a visa more than three months before you're planned date of travel, so probably sometime in September would be the time to apply, as you're also aware they further advise not to buy non refundable tickets before a visa has been issued.

Of course there's nothing to stop you purchasing flights now, but the UKVI are firmly putting the responsibility on your shoulders.

My wife has routinely purchased tickets a considerable time before she's applied for a visa, she knows she "ticks all the boxes" and has taken the risk, but it's our risk, visas have always been issued.

The UKVI advise that you shouldn't apply for a visa more than three months before you're planned date of travel, so probably sometime in September would be the time to apply, as you're also aware they further advise not to buy non refundable tickets before a visa has been issued.

Of course there's nothing to stop you purchasing flights now, but the UKVI are firmly putting the responsibility on your shoulders.

My wife has routinely purchased tickets a considerable time before she's applied for a visa, she knows she "ticks all the boxes" and has taken the risk, but it's our risk, visas have always been issued.

Thanks.

I think I'll have to go for it, as the current price on EVA is very reasonable for the Christmas period. Some flights are already showing as full, although I realise they probably have more seats to release later in the year. If I leave it until September I think it will be considerably more expensive and I might not get my preferred dates.

I'll take the risk with visa. Both the wife and I, and our son, are on Extensions of Stay, me for work and them as my dependants, and our son is enrolled in a very expensive international kindergarten. That should be a good enough reason to return.

OK, admission time, we're also planning to visit the UK over Christmas, my wife's UK Visa expired last year so she will need to apply again in September, we booked our flights in April.

We've also booked a side trip to a Schengen State despite the fact her Schengen Visa has also expired.

See you in Trafalgar Square under the Christmas Tree [emoji319]

• Like 1