Self-made license plate illegal: Chiang Mai transport office

webfact

Self-made license plate illegal: Chiang Mai transport office

CHIANG MAI, 31 May 2017 (NNT) – The use of a self-made driver's license plate, the modification of letters and numbers and the imitation of the plate are punishable by law. 

Chiang Mai Provincial Transport Official said the office has found some use of modified license plate by decorating with stickers to resemble special plates offered in auctions or the modification of numbers and letters to spell offensive language, are considered offenses punishable by law according to the Car Act BE 2522. 

The modification of license plate can result up to 2,000 baht fine, while the use of licence plate displaying the number inaccurate to the actual number given to that vehicle will result in the additional case of official document forgery, resulting in 6 months to 5 years imprisonment, or 1,000 - 10,000 baht fine, or the confiscation of vehicle. 

Chiang Mai Provincial Transport Office is calling upon the general public to properly adhere to the regulation, and to contact the transport office at which the vehicle is registered to receive a new license plate in case of damages or losses.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-31

A legally issued license plate has a circular, embossed seal in the lower right-hand corner.

Sometimes, a license plate is lost and their are some small businesses that will make you a new one, but, it doesn't have the seal, so, is not legal. Usually not a problem on a car as there are two plates, but, a bike, if you lose and replace, this will be illegal.

51 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

A legally issued license plate has a circular, embossed seal in the lower right-hand corner.

Sometimes, a license plate is lost and their are some small businesses that will make you a new one, but, it doesn't have the seal, so, is not legal. Usually not a problem on a car as there are two plates, but, a bike, if you lose and replace, this will be illegal.

As for the biles and some cars easy fixed just have no plates at all problem solved !

When I took my driving test on the computer 4 years ago, there was a question that said it was OK to have a custom license plate made which was not issued by the government.  Have they since changed the law?

47 minutes ago, mwbrown said:

When I took my driving test on the computer 4 years ago, there was a question that said it was OK to have a custom license plate made which was not issued by the government.  Have they since changed the law?

this may be to check you understand how to drive "the Thai way":smile:

18 hours ago, alant said:

this may be to check you understand how to drive "the Thai way":smile:

Ha, I'm very well aware of "driving the Thai way", but this is a land transport office issue, not a family of 5 on a bike being ignored by the cops.  If the issue of license plates is important enough to put on the computer test, then something has changed.

I think the only time that non government-issued plates were 'acceptable' was back around 2010/11 when there was a serious issue with the paint on the official plates coming off. The backlog for replacement plates ground the normally slow plate issuing procedure to a standstill. Some local businesses cashed in by making 'temporary' plates that for the most part were given the nod by the BiB (unless they were really hungry).