new food processor

in my feeble old age I find food preparation increasingly difficult, using hand graters for the carrot salad (hafta rest with a drink once maybe 2 times, bad fer the liver), chopping onions, garlic&veges and etc...so for the first time gonna look at lazada for something to buy...vegetable chopping&purees, bean pastes, hummous, falafel, etc only...no hard duty...

looking at the lazada offering

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-small-food-processors/?searchredirect=food+processor

any recommendations/warnings? anyone buy anything recently that they particularly recommend or condemn? my blender is on its last legs so the blender attachments look good as well...ease of cleaning after use is a major consideration...wanna try to keep it <thb5000...

any advice is appreciated...

37 minutes ago, james.d said:

Hello,

l saw some a few days ago in Verasu while looking at the toasters. FYI: http://www.verasu.com/product_subcategories.php?cid=7

l have bought several items from them and found them good quality. 

Just something for you to ponder.

Cheers,

thanks for that...I hadn't considered Verasu as I always associated their stuff with high prices and I wanted to keep the expense under thb5000...looks like they have some items in that range and I'll investigate...

anyone else? doesn't necessarily have to be ordered from lazada...I just thought of them as they have low prices and COD delivery convenience...I also wondered about the power requirement for the duty described above, ie, veg chopping, purees, pastes, etc...presumably lower than 1kw.?..

8 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

thanks for that...I hadn't considered Verasu as I always associated their stuff with high prices and I wanted to keep the expense under thb5000...looks like they have some items in that range and I'll investigate...

anyone else? doesn't necessarily have to be ordered from lazada...I just thought of them as they have low prices and COD delivery convenience...I also wondered about the power requirement for the duty described above, ie, veg chopping, purees, pastes, etc...presumably lower than 1kw.?..

Used to be a happy customer of Lazada till they allowed Chinese sellers on their site. Couldn't resist the low prices one time so I placed an order of approx 5 kitchen tools. Took two months for everything to arrive from China, and from the 5 things I'm only satisfied with the hamburger press. 

I would only buy well known brands, especially if you buy electronic stuff.

I have such a kitchen robot, and honestly, I never use it. Found out it is too much hassle if I just need to cut a cucumber and a carrot. (need to take it out of the cabinet, clean it as it has not been used for a while, assemble it, put the vegs in it, disassemble, put the vegs in a bowl, clean all parts, put it back in the cabinet)

A sharp knife and a wooden cut board mostly do the job much faster  unless you need to cook for a big group, then the robot wins.

as I said I've never owned a food processor...always made do with an 8" chef's knife, supermarket bought and selected for its ability to take an edge (piles of discarded cheap knives litter the panorama, all cheap knives in Thailand stink) and the one that I have now purchased for about USD10 from a supermarket in saudi is one of the best, also bought 2 spares...but I've been making a lot of coleslaw and carrot salad lately and got plans for hummous and falafel and my old blender has almost had it...decided to 'go upmarket' to see what all the fuss about food processors is all about...

I remember when they first came on the market about 40 years ago...I looked and thought: 'what an absurd contraption...' but now in my enfeebled old age they don't look so absurd any longer...

ease of cleaning/easy disassembly after use is a big consideration with this equipment and one of the reasons I wanted to ask others about their equipment...

I have a small Moulinex 1000 watt unit.  I've had it for many years and use it quite often and have never had any problems with it.  My concerns with it are that It does not have a opening where you can add liquids as it is processing and I would like a larger one. I don't remember where I bought it as it was a long time ago , but I still use the old chopping block and knife the most.

I have found that most food processors die within a few months if you use them for making curry pastes.  The one exception is an Indian-style and Indian-made one from Panasonic.  It's like a tank, indestructible.  It also cuts out of it's overloaded (a rare event).  (Reset button on underside.)  Available from Central (including online ordering, ฿ 3,890), though in store is a few hundred baht cheaper.

http://www.central.co.th/p/เครื่องเตรียมอาหาร-panasonic-รุ่น-mxac400

I would presume that a blender attachment coupled to a more powerful processor base (=/> 500w?) would be more suitable for curry pastes but just speculating...the last time I made hummous I mashed up the cooked garbanzos inna bowl with a pestle first then added little by little to my creaking el cheapo blender with the other ingredients...I could smell the motor struggling...with the processor I'm more interested in veg chopping/shredding capability...

and I'm always gonna have the knife and the cutting board handy for most jobs, onions, garlic&chiles for stir fries, etc...plus the kitchen wouldn't be the same without the cutting board front and center on the work surface...

gonna head up to the changwat next week to go to immigration and I'll drop by the big tescos and makro to see what they got...

Archived