Maya Mall, neighbour from hell

daoyai

16 minutes ago, chickenrunCM said:

Living room stays open illeagally until 5am,  but never get a problem with police because they pay a lot and they close, when the army checks the bars, what happend last Friday night, and 3 bars got shut down in the boxing ring.

Why not just cal the Police and grass them up !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by sanemax

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are living in Chiang Mai? 
so you should know, that Mandaly stays open to 3a,, Riverside and Good View to 2 am, with full live music,
Living room stays open illeagally until 5am,  ....

Plus innumerable Thai bars stay open too.

9 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Well not many people can control snakes and I'm very heartened you control your dogs but, be fair, most moo baans and sois have a 'dog' problem with many strays wandering around. I have always found a dog or two on their own are ok but once 3 or more they can become very vicious. Thais think nothing of opening their gate and letting them harass others. I well remember walking down one soi and about 7 dogs came at me and the Thai owner standing there thinking it was funny - I was really scared.

But we veer off-topic   :)  

Important topic though. I always carried a piece of water pipe and just the sight of it made them run.

1 hour ago, chickenrunCM said:

You are living in Chiang Mai? 

so you should know, that Mandaly stays open to 3a,, Riverside and Good View to 2 am, with full live music,

Living room stays open illeagally until 5am,  but never get a problem with police because they pay a lot and they close, when the army checks the bars, what happend last Friday night, and 3 bars got shut down in the boxing ring.

I was unaware that Mandalay, Riverside and Good View were allowed to stay open past midnight, however these are not high on my list of places to spend an evening.  Living Room is one of many that stays open quietly and behind closed doors.  Perhaps they are getting more brazen about it, it's been several months since I went to Living Room.  However all of these places are in the tourist area of Chiang Mai, the area from the eastern side of the old city to the river.

More of interest to the topic, places in the Nimmanhamin area that stay open late, either legally or illegally, are difficult to find.  That is why I am surprised to learn that Maya bars are doing so. 

Edit:  An afterthought; what kind of people hang out at Maya until late?  I've checked out the bars there, they don't seem appealing to me.  Do locals go there, or is it mostly tourists?

Edited by heybruce

12 hours ago, sanukjim said:

Always,Always before renting or buying ,Go to the area on the weekends and during the middle of the week ,during both the night and day time […]

While definitely good advice, it is hard to do a proper check because sources of noise in Thailand can come and go, and they might only be a nuisance to residents above/below a certain level of the building and/or facing a certain direction.

For the latter, you need to check the exact unit that you plan to move into, to be absolutely sure, and for the former, that one is pretty hard. I bought a condo last year, and one annoying source of noise did appear months after my purchase, but now it has fortunately disappeared, though instead I have a new market with live music, although they only crank up the volume to extreme during festivals (like Songkran).

If quiet evenings is a priority, there are probably some areas that should just be completely ignored, Nimman and Night Bazaar springs to mind.

14 hours ago, lkn said:

While definitely good advice, it is hard to do a proper check because sources of noise in Thailand can come and go, and they might only be a nuisance to residents above/below a certain level of the building and/or facing a certain direction.

For the latter, you need to check the exact unit that you plan to move into, to be absolutely sure, and for the former, that one is pretty hard. I bought a condo last year, and one annoying source of noise did appear months after my purchase, but now it has fortunately disappeared, though instead I have a new market with live music, although they only crank up the volume to extreme during festivals (like Songkran).

If quiet evenings is a priority, there are probably some areas that should just be completely ignored, Nimman and Night Bazaar springs to mind.

Agree. It's difficult to be around all the time, it might be ok when you visit  but not ok during surprising hours.

On 2017-6-1 at 0:23 PM, Bill97 said:

Who assured you they had to close at midnight?

How did they assure you?

The OP's first problem was assuming that laws & closing times are adhered to. If you wanted piece and quiet you shouldn't have decided to live right next to a bar. Are you very new to Thailand renting your very first place that's why you assumed all the above?

Edited by bbi1

On 2017-6-2 at 2:02 AM, EricTh said:

By law, any bars should close by midnight. However, most bars ignore it.

I had the same problem when I lived near Kad Suan Kaew and the bar opposite blast their speakers way past midnight. When I asked them to lower the volume, those xxx refused to do so.

You're lucky they didn't send a few goons to give you a beating for opening your mouth imo.

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Camp out there for a week is what a Thai friend said and does with his property buys.

I assume that is for a plot of land. I rented a condo at The Bliss (Huay Kaew Soi 2) it was 7th floor facing North/West and at nighttime there was loud music, but walking around the building, it was very quiet.

In the ~6 months I stayed there, there were a few longer periods with no music at all, but also one week with extra loud live music/performance.

I still have no idea what was actually the source of the music. My best guess was The Harbour, since they also had a stage which could explain the live performance, but I went by a few nights, and it did not at all seem noisy.

Fortunately though, the music always stopped at midnight.

When I first rented in CM, I had a nice house outside the city in a quiet village near Bo Sang. Or it would have been if it didn't have a load of Karaoke joints on the main road - the bass travelled really well at night.

After 9 months we moved to a house near KSK - probably the quietest place I've lived in, in over 15 years of living all over Thailand.

On 6/4/2017 at 7:13 AM, evenstevens said:

perhaps a few  months back, E/S  had  a friend who was interested in buying a top floor unit for 4.6 Mil,   at  Vieng Ping  Condo  a very nicely fitted out unit 108 sq metres

but  after  doing a  full  dilegeince workout on the condo, immediately gave it the Kyberpass, largely due to music coming from Maya Mall, and the nightmare of contending with   Rincombe Intersection, right decision  was  indeed made,  taking those two above draw backs into consideration,  4.6 mil to listen to muscic every nite,don,t think so

maybe you  like listening to muscic every nite:smile:

a Steve Perry good morning to all

Haha :) I had a unit facing the other way, 8th floor. Maybe that helped. Admittedly, the music may have gotten louder.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2017 at 5:59 PM, scottiejohn said:

Why has this post got lines through most of it?

Has it been censored?

I posted this comment & would also like to know why it has been seemingly censored?

A response would bee greatly appreciated as was sent in all good faith trying to help.

On 6/1/2017 at 11:47 PM, heybruce said:

On the other hand, anyone looking for a quiet place in Thailand should know it needs to be far from cities, and far from households that have chickens.  It's easier to get used to the noise.

would have to agree with that one. if it was not the mall, it would be a neighbor or something else, i can almost guarantee it.
you have to go way out to get peaceful silence. quiet is just not in the culture.

• 4 months later...

The sociopaths running the mall have been having weekly "concerts" in he front,  they set up before dawn, today they began soundcheck at top volume at 5:30 am.  now 9:48 and they seem to have finished. I am looking forward to my lease being finished but have no idea where to go next.  Sad because it is a very nice apartment.

Edited by daoyai

On 11/10/2017 at 10:44 AM, daoyai said:

I spoke too soon, now10:41 and they have progressed to some retard screeching along with pounding bass, what kind of incompetents need a 5 hour soundcheck... I know, I live here. screw Maya.

I passed through the Maya-intersection today shortly after noon and was almost laughing out loud when I heard the “bah bah bah” sound test going on that I had previously read about here — apparently the soundcheck is a multi-day thing here…

And it matters nought as to how many sound checks they do...at  the end of the day you will still hear their screechy voices that some call singing.

Glad I live in Mae Rim. Had a good year in HS4 luckily that was before Maya was opened.

Mostly Thai Yuppies and not so many tourists?????  What in God's name are you smoking these days???  When was the last time you were even at Maya???  Over 80% of the people passing through there are mostly Chinese and Western tourists.  You are so out of touch with the reality at Maya these days.  Try going back there once more.

they are doing the soundcheck now again for tonight's event, 3 days in a row :saai:,  the in mall customers are about half Chinese,   thais and farang make up the rest, the absurdly loud music events are mostly young Thai zombies.  The after hours mafia run rooftop bars... no idea their demographic.  This must have been a nice area at one time.:sad:

4 hours ago, idman said:

Mostly Thai Yuppies and not so many tourists?????  What in God's name are you smoking these days???  When was the last time you were even at Maya???  Over 80% of the people passing through there are mostly Chinese and Western tourists.  You are so out of touch with the reality at Maya these days.  Try going back there once more.

Agree. I drop by the Maya now and then. If it wasn't for the Chinese visitors, Maya would be a ghost mall. The food courts on the 4th floor and basement serve as their cafeteria. I avoid going to the Maya Rimping now because the aisles are so often crammed with the visitors that it feels like Walking Street.

Edited by searcher22

I spoke too soon, now10:41 and they have progressed to some retard screeching along with pounding bass, what kind of incompetents need a 5 hour soundcheck... I know, I live here. screw Maya.

I heard the noise at yesterday at Maya enamored for a few minutes by a western blond woman fronting a band. Until I realized it was "Christian Rock"! Truly a hard sell in Thailand for the missionaries but seriously?

The soundcheck at the concrete expanse yesterday was impressive also. About 20 minutes for kick drum alone.

IMG_8502.JPG.37c2aabafb1b5762026f91a937e05b82.JPG

You are in a difficult situation re bond, exit early and you will lose it. Obviously the entertainment parts of town are attractive to some, but the reality is that there are many quiet spots in Chiang Mai, but the entertainment zone is unlikely to be one of them. Likewise more traffic, more stress, more hassles, its really a trade off.