Drunk teens to face tougher drink driving laws from today

webfact

1 hour ago, seajae said:

I thought the age for being allowed alcohol was 20 here, wouldnt it make more sense to simply arrest them for breaking the law and taking their licence from them, then again that might cause them to lose face. Maybe one day here police will actually charge people that are breaking the laws with a crime  instead of making excuses to let them off but then that would require them to do paperwork and not have extra tea money

The age allowing purchasing alcohol is 20 years of age but this Government has not mandated an age for consumption of it.

2 hours ago, OldPedro said:

Young friend of mine and his mate were driving home early morning in April after a party in Bangkok, in separate cars. They were stopped, tested and both over .05....negotiated settlement was 3000 baht each, no paperwork. So what difference will .02 make to enforcement of road rules or the road toll?

There you have it

Corruption its the only way the place survives and every will.

The boys at the top have a lot to answer for, mind you they created it.

7 hours ago, seajae said:

I thought the age for being allowed alcohol was 20 here, wouldnt it make more sense to simply arrest them for breaking the law and taking their licence from them, then again that might cause them to lose face. Maybe one day here police will actually charge people that are breaking the laws with a crime  instead of making excuses to let them off but then that would require them to do paperwork and not have extra tea money

Only applies in a licensed establishment.. 

you can legally drink in a bar at 18, if you are employed by that bar.. And I think its 16 legally to purchase but unsure on the last one

8 hours ago, seajae said:

Same with kids under 15 riding a bike: in a school near my apartment I'd say the average age is 13, some about 11! Yes, I hear the defenders' brigade... but I am not talking rural areas with a school 5 km away, this is Pattaya and baht buses run every 3 minutes!

3 hours ago, louse1953 said:

So you want to exclude foreigners,talk about predudiceThey are the main offenders in the tourist haunts.If you dont want to be impacted,dont drink and drive,so easy here.

If you don't want to be 'impacted', don't drive here at all. Too many dangers even if sober.

they told me there is a 0 -tolerance in Pattaya.

If the police ask you , did you drink ,and you say "yes,just 1 beer" the police told him to pay 20 000 bht 

or go to jail,because there is a 0-tolerance ,so 1 beer is also too much.

?????????

5 hours ago, pumpjack said:

i do not need to provide you with proof when your  fingers snap,       a local thai guy in pattaya who has 2 motorbike rental shops told me this . 

if you really want proof of this then go out get drunk and find out for yourself  ! 

You just confirmed you don't have proof with a statement like that. 

1 hour ago, lucjoker said:

they told me there is a 0 -tolerance in Pattaya.

If the police ask you , did you drink ,and you say "yes,just 1 beer" the police told him to pay 20 000 bht 

or go to jail,because there is a 0-tolerance ,so 1 beer is also too much.

?????????

That sounds more like a local scam than drink-driving law enforcement.

8 hours ago, pumpjack said:

drunk driving penalty / fine for thai people is - 20.000 baht

drunk driving penalty / fine for farang is - 50.000 baht

does this mean that the courts will up their fines to match that of us farang ? 

I believe the above mentioned fines are for car drunk driving, because I was stopped drunk driving a motorbike and my reading was 120 he said 20.000 baht but when I called my Thai friend it was 10.000 baht

12 hours ago, halloween said:

AFAIK a home country licence with your details in English is acceptable here. What I do know for certain is that the reverse IS true, that my Thai licence which has my details in English is acceptable in Australia while I remain a resident of Thailand. There is no need for an International licence unless your details are not in English, and it only serves as a translation.

How do I know? While applying for my Qld licence, first time in that state, there was a processing delay. I was advised I could use my Thai licence until then, or when on holidays in Oz.

Well what I do know is that to be on the safe side and to avoid possible problems with insurance etc then you should always get an International driving licence issued from your country of origin, before driving here, if you are a visitor/tourist.

20 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

According to wiki

"The Alcoholic Beverage Control Act of 2008 increased the drinking age in Thailand from 18 to 20, private drinking is not regulated in private locations."

You think that is strange,  all states in the USA the age is 21 (to be sold, served), So the stipulation allows your parent to order and buy you a drink at the bar, BUT the bartender must place it in front of the Parent and the Parent can slide it to his child sitting next to him. The Bartender did not serve the under age drinker 

Older people should know better. They have had far more years to see the effect of drinking and driving. Penalties should be same for all ages. Take away the vehicle, take away the license for 5 years, stiff fine, and some time behind bars or in house arrest.

Won't make the slightest difference.. Never has , never will.. Anyone have info on Zero Tollerance Countries,and the results after it was introduced?. Last I heard was years ago.[emoji481]?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

20 hours ago, Cranky said:

Lip service.  Anyone with cash gets off, age irrelevant, nationality irrelevant, size of wallet - very relevant.  

A pissed-up 12 year-old with a spare 5 grand - no problem, not guilty.

No hyperbole here mind.

3 minutes ago, paddyjoe41 said:

ID LIKE TO KNOW WHY THERE IS SO MUCH CONTRADICTION IN THESE POSTS,ESPECIALLY WHEN MOST OF THE POSTS COULD EFFECT ALL OF US AS ROAD USERS,AND OTHER POSTS.IT LOOKS LIKE SOME PEOPLE RIGHT OR WRONG WANT TO CONTRADICT THE OTHER JUST FOR AN ARGUMENT.ESPECIALLY WHEN MOST OF THE TIME THE POSTS ARE ACTUALLY INFORMATION THAT WE AS FARANGS CAN BENEFIT FROM.SOME TIMES IT SEEMS LIKE ITS A COMPETITION,COME ON LADS WE ALL LIVE HERE REGARDLESS OF HOW LONG,THERE IS NO MEDALS INVOLVED,WELL NOT THAT I KNOW OF ANYWAY,UNLESS WE HAVE A (UNIFORM) THEN ITS NOT GARUNTEED,WE SHOULD BE HAPPY THAT WE ARE ABLE TO TELL ONE AND ANOTHER WHATS RIGHT OR WRONG,NOT LIKE PEOPLE THAT MAY LOOSE FACE.THE TRUTH IS WHAT THESE PEOPLE NEED TO READ ABOUT,PERHAPS LONG AFTER WE  ARE GONE SOME FARANGS MAY BENIFIT FROM THE TRUTH AND NOT BE MISSLED BECAUSE SOMEONE WANTS TO BE THE TOP LONGTIME FARANG.

Try to look at your keyboard for a key marked as a "CapsLock".

It should solve your typing problem.

A post using ALL CAPS has been removed, please turn off your Caps Lock button when posting:

Forum Netiquette

1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

On 02/06/2017 at 11:06 AM, jmacken306 said:

You think that is strange,  all states in the USA the age is 21 (to be sold, served), So the stipulation allows your parent to order and buy you a drink at the bar, BUT the bartender must place it in front of the Parent and the Parent can slide it to his child sitting next to him. The Bartender did not serve the under age drinker 

Does it have to be a parent? Can a kid pay someone $20 to come into the bar and order his drinks for him?

21 minutes ago, garbolino said:

ONE SHOULD GET A RECEIPT....thereby ensuring money not go in pocket of bent copper

Do you not understand the concept of IRONY? It means saying something to.the opposite of what it purports to say.  Look it up!

Edited by The Deerhunter

On 6/1/2017 at 4:46 PM, mrfill said:

So you are anticipating that anyone old enough to be brainwashed by the army is ok to drink and drive.

I think its time you went back to 1840.

Ignore this ignorant, rude, Troll quote.

I wonder if this disturbed person has any friends left?

:post-4641-1156694572: