Non-Language School Ed-Visa Options

I've been thinking a lot about how to extend my stay in thailand without having to get tourist visas every few months and my thoughts are leading me back to the ED visa. 

My first Thai Visa was an Ed visa when I was a grad student in the USA taking classes, and they granted it allowing me to come to Thailand for cultural research for my thesis project.  I just needed to bring a document on university letterhead explaining what I was doing and how staying in Thailand related to my studies. 

I've heard people talk about getting ED visas for learning things like Muay Thai, cooking, etc.   What are the requirements for that?   I have been wanting to get back into figure skating (there's an ice rink within walking distance of my Condo).  If I were to sign up for a year of lessons, would it be possible to qualify with something like that?  What kind of documents are required?

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The school you attend must be registered with the Education Ministry in order to get a non-ed visa and extensions of stay.

There are many courses that can be taken but very few are registered.

You could look here for info about some schools. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/190-courses-in-thailand/

I think I'd be okay without the extensions of stay if the visa was multi entry like my first ED visa.    I just did a visa run every 3 months without the hassle of going to a consulate.   

I sent the Hong Kong consulate an email after posting this to see what they have to say. 

You will not be able to get a multiple entry non-ed visa within the region.

Even getting one in the US now would be difficult.

From Los Angeles consulate website.http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=34

Please note that we CANNOT issue the Non-Immigrant visas for the purpose of STUDYING MUAY THAI, DIVE TRAINING, MASSAGE SCHOOL, STUDYING THAI LANGUAGE, MEDITATION, etc. without a letter from the Thai Ministry of Education or other related Thai government agency approving the study. 

I just got a reply from Hong Kong and here's what they said about obtaining an Ed Visa based on figure skating in Thailand:

"You can apply the visa here, but we only can give the single 90 days visa for you, not the multi one.

The ice rink have to prepare as below.

the original letter to consulate mention about 1)your name2) what passport number 3) what purpose of you going to Thailand 4) what kind of visa would like to apply (your is Non- immigration Visa) the copy of the business registration of that ice  rink."

So, it appears at least for Hong Kong, this is an option, however  I may have trouble extending my stay as an ice rink is not a traditional educational institution.  So I'd basically be back to visa running every 3 months.   AT least it saves me a trip to immigration for extensions to extend tourist visas, and I might be questioned less about back to back ED visas as opposed to tourist visas  since that they imply some kind of purpose in Thailand beyond  just doing tourist things.

I'm thinking to also email the Seoul embassy to see what they have to say.   They seemed pretty laid back when I went there last time.  Maybe I can squeeze a multi entry out of them if I can show year long skate training. 
Edited by pjthefey