Parking charges in Royal Garden

KittenKong

Well if you really want to shop frozen food then maybe Foodland in RG is not the best choice.  Just go somewhere else. I prefer Friendship myself. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/4/2017 at 9:12 AM, pegman said:

The American owner is a very shape, selfmade operator who likely knew what portion of parked cars and bikes were from customers. 

...when they designed it over 20 years go and there was 75% less cars on the road and before Foodland was invented?

57 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...when they designed it over 20 years go and there was 75% less cars on the road and before Foodland was invented?

A  minor point but Foodland has been around for over 20 years.

2 hours ago, Spaniel said:

A  minor point but Foodland has been around for over 20 years.

I stand corrected. Foodland actually opened their first shop 45 years ago... but that wasn't in Pattaya. RGP opened in 1993 so as I said, it was designed over 20 years ago.

But my point was for pegman who alludes to the owner being some sort of visionary when it comes to mall car parks. The architects that William Heinecke hired didn't have a clue that there would be so many more motorbikes and cars on the roads or that RGP would eventually have a Foodland outlet in the basement.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I stand corrected. Foodland actually opened their first shop 45 years ago... but that wasn't in Pattaya. RGP opened in 1993 so as I said, it was designed over 20 years ago.

But my point was for pegman who alludes to the owner being some sort of visionary when it comes to mall car parks. The architects that William Heinecke hired didn't have a clue that there would be so many more motorbikes and cars on the roads or that RGP would eventually have a Foodland outlet in the basement.

Yes, that was the Foodland in Patpong which opened around 1971. The original Pattaya Foodland was around in the mid '80's but not sure when it first opened.

It may have been reported elsewhere but the new Terminal 21 will also feature a Foodland branch.

https://insideretailthailand.com/2017/05/foodland-supermarket-opens-second-pattaya-store/

Somsak says Foodland sees great potential in Pattaya and will open more branches there. A third is already under construction at Terminal 21 shopping mall in North Pattaya.

No indication at to whether there will be a similar issue over parking ticket validation at the new location.........:whistling:

6 hours ago, dabhand said:

Foodland sees great potential in Pattaya and will open more branches there. A third is already under construction at Terminal 21 shopping mall in North Pattaya.

...and there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in Jomtien (again).

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

the foodland sign has been standing here in Jomtien for nearly 2 years already above an expensive plot of land which is used by locals as a refuse dump for building materials.

I had great hopes...

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I hope if you ever get your Foodland in Jomtien it will be a bigger one than what they put in at Royal Garden.  My partner and I have shopped there twice now and we aren't too impressed.  A lot of the space is taken up by a restaurant and the remaining grocery space is more like a 7-11/Family Mart on steroids.  A rather limited selection of fruits and vegetables at higher prices than other grocery stores and we noticed that some of the prices on other items were a little higher than even 7-11 and Family Mart, as well.  I think this particular Foodland is geared to the tourists--with tourist prices.  On the bright side, we didn't buy much so we only had a few bags to lug up to the parking validation desk two floors up! 

12 hours ago, newnative said:

I hope if you ever get your Foodland in Jomtien it will be a bigger one than what they put in at Royal Garden.  My partner and I have shopped there twice now and we aren't too impressed.  A lot of the space is taken up by a restaurant and the remaining grocery space is more like a 7-11/Family Mart on steroids.  A rather limited selection of fruits and vegetables at higher prices than other grocery stores and we noticed that some of the prices on other items were a little higher than even 7-11 and Family Mart, as well.  I think this particular Foodland is geared to the tourists--with tourist prices.  On the bright side, we didn't buy much so we only had a few bags to lug up to the parking validation desk two floors up! 

I was in there last week only needing a couple of bags of bits and pieces but I did notice some outrageously high prices for items I know normally cost far less, so I would agree with you that they are price gouging due to the location.

However, I was far more amazed that they thought to open there at all and as you suggest, the restaurant is out of proportion. Why have a restaurant at all I think, though I know the context of other such places having them. I too think the location too small to have all formats.

Perhaps though they are just trialling or it is temporary ? I cannot see how it makes sense where it is to be honest.

I went in there one evening last week and the cafe was quite busy though nowhere near full. Still, early days.

If the cafe was properly advertised outside it could be very busy as it is significantly better quality than most places on Beach Road and significantly cheaper too.

1 hour ago, cetherin said:

You can get your ticket validated for 3 hours free parking without proof of spending

Yes that was the rules before Foodland  appeared, so they didn't change the rules ?  We can stop this debate now if that's the case  .

3 hours free validation was the rule until June 1 as I explained in the original post. The new rule from June 1 is that you have to spend 100B or more to get validation.

Of course as this is Thailand the rules may have changed yet again since I was there on the 2nd. If anyone has actually done it since the 2nd perhaps they would like to comment?

Had lunch in Royal today did some shopping in Foodland, (left without a bunch of roses in their bag check) couldn't be bothered to go upstairs because I have a broken toe, figured I would just pay the usual 20 baht overstay......

Wrong

got charged 130 baht........expensive parking day for me......

18 hours ago, KittenKong said:

3 hours free validation was the rule until June 1 as I explained in the original post. The new rule from June 1 is that you have to spend 100B or more to get validation.

Of course as this is Thailand the rules may have changed yet again since I was there on the 2nd. If anyone has actually done it since the 2nd perhaps they would like to comment?

I think your information is still correct for RG. When we went up to get our parking validated we complained to the staff and said they should have the parking validation desk down in the parking garage. Maybe if more complain they will change the system.  Central Marina gives you the first 2 hours free and then the 3rd hour is 10 Baht.  Can't remember what the next hours cost--don't think  I will be there more than 3 hours unless they start showing some movies in English.

On 08/06/2017 at 9:59 AM, DD13 said:

Maybe 2-3 hours

I was there again today. The new official charge, clearly indicated at the entrance, is 30B per hour for every hour. It says nothing about part hours. So I dont see how your 2-3 hour stay could possibly have come to 130B rather than 60B or 90B. Even 4 hours should only have been 120B and 5 hours should have been 150B. So that's a bit of a mystery.

Amusingly as I drove to the exit with my validated free parking card there was a farang having a blazing row with the security guards and the cashier that involved him reversing and parking and storming off, presumably to get his card validated. They really should indicate at the entrance that all purchases have to be validated before leaving at a desk hidden on the first floor in order to get the free parking time.

I suspect that the Royal Garden will lose far more in goodwill and long-term custom from this new parking charge structure than they gain, but such is Thai economics.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I was there again today. The new official charge, clearly indicated at the entrance, is 30B per hour for every hour. It says nothing about part hours. So I dont see how your 2-3 hour stay could possibly have come to 130B rather than 60B or 90B. Even 4 hours should only have been 120B and 5 hours should have been 150B. So that's a bit of a mystery.

Amusingly as I drove to the exit with my validated free parking card there was a farang having a blazing row with the security guards and the cashier that involved him reversing and parking and storming off, presumably to get his card validated. They really should indicate at the entrance that all purchases have to be validated before leaving at a desk hidden on the first floor in order to get the free parking time.

I suspect that the Royal Garden will lose far more in goodwill and long-term custom from this new parking charge structure than they gain, but such is Thai economics.

My Partner has just said she saw a notice which said first hour 30Baht second hour 100Baht......The kiosk guy must be adding them together......

I give up ?

1 hour ago, DD13 said:

My Partner has just said she saw a notice which said first hour 30Baht second hour 100Baht......The kiosk guy must be adding them together......

Well, the English notice that I saw didnt mention part hours. The 100B bit was about getting 2 free hours if you spend 100B or more.

5 hours ago, digbeth said:

Putting the validation desk upstrairs might be their idea of forcing foot traffic up there making people walk past those shops that might otherwise be quiet 

But it has always been up there. I recall using it maybe twice when I had actually bought something in the mall itself. I reckon the validation desk was probably ignored by most people when they had the old free 3 hours parking rule as you would need to be pretty slow to not finish any shopping and/or eating within 3 hours. They have changed the parking policy to 30B an hour (no free time at all) and anyone spending 100B can get two hours free, or 5 hours if you spend 3000B or more.

The Avenue is much easier with in-store validation of any amount spent in any venue getting you 3 hours covered parking for free.... and no traipsing about to any validation desk. Avenue also has the 30-minutes free and Villa-only parking out front which is validated by the whistle-blowing parking guys.

Mikes at 10 baht/hr is a winner... but bring a flashlight!

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

But it has always been up there. I recall using it maybe twice when I had actually bought something in the mall itself. I reckon the validation desk was probably ignored by most people when they had the old free 3 hours parking rule as you would need to be pretty slow to not finish any shopping and/or eating within 3 hours. They have changed the parking policy to 30B an hour (no free time at all) and anyone spending 100B can get two hours free, or 5 hours if you spend 3000B or more.

The Avenue is much easier with in-store validation of any amount spent in any venue getting you 3 hours covered parking for free.... and no traipsing about to any validation desk. Avenue also has the 30-minutes free and Villa-only parking out front which is validated by the whistle-blowing parking guys.

Mikes at 10 baht/hr is a winner... but bring a flashlight!

It used to be under the escalator by the 2nd road side, I remembered they first make the free validation when Central opened with free parking for all, and yes, most people are unaware of the free validation

I don't know when they moved the whole information desk upstairs 

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

It used to be under the escalator by the 2nd road side

That's right, though for all I know the upstairs one was also there then.

On top of that they used to have the self-service validating machine upstairs near the Beach Road entrance. That's gone now, of course.

Archived