Thai Person's Id Card

Tammi

Can somebody tell me at what age a Thai person is eligible for a Thai Identity Card? I am being told all different ages from 15 to 18 years.

Why do I want to know? Because workmen working in this condo for renovation companies are supposed to wear a worker's card showing that they have been seen by security or reception and that condo is holding ID card until they leave the building. I often meet them in the elevators not wearing a card so I take them to reception. Receptionist says one age , deputy manager says another age - too young to have ID. One young man questioned about his age said he was 15.

Can somebody tell me at what age a Thai person is eligible for a Thai Identity Card? I am being told all different ages from 15 to 18 years.

Why do I want to know? Because workmen working in this condo for renovation companies are supposed to wear a worker's card showing that they have been seen by security or reception and that condo is holding ID card until they leave the building. I often meet them in the elevators not wearing a card so I take them to reception. Receptionist says one age , deputy manager says another age - too young to have ID. One young man questioned about his age said he was 15.

Thank you for your replies. One more question: By law, are Thais supposed to carry their ID at all times? I ask because other excuse I get from condo reception why a workman has no ID, is that he doesn't carry ID in his working clothes!

If he is too young to have an ID card, he is too young to work.............

15 is the age, they are usually issued.

The number on the card should match the number on their Household papers (Tabien Bahn) and that number was issued when they were first registered, at birth.

Illegal immigrant is my guess.

Yes Thais are required to carry ID.

A driving licence will do, but the ID card (baht prachacon) is better.

All Thai nationals must apply for an ID card within 60 days of turning 15 years. Applications are made locally according to the person's residence and there is no administration fee. This first ID card is valid for six years, after which time a new card must be applied for. Those Thai people over 70 years do not need to hold an ID card.

It is possible, but not mandatory, for a Thai to obtain an ID card from 5 years old but this is seldom, if ever,done