Police lose driver's license at roadside stop then offer no apology

webfact

3 minutes ago, gazza4 said:

a couple of years ago I was riding my bigbike in Bangkok when I was waved down by a cop who appeared out of nowhere (not a checkpoint} .He advised me that I was travelling in the wrong lane and that I should pay a 200 b. fine. I told him that he was not going to get any money out of me. With that, he pocketed my licence, ran towards his hidden motorcy and took off, as fast as he could.

When explaining to the cop, who was issuing me with a new licence, what had happened, she just grinned and continued processing me

Guys on bikes are definitely more vulnerable... I've heard of the BiB stopping the bikes and taking the keys from the ignition straight away. I've also heard of them doing this with a car. 

They hold the keys, and in your case the license hostage until you pay - pretty shoddy behavior IMO, but effective. 

For 'out of towners' of when traveling on the highway the BiB know what a headache it is to have to go back and retrieve your license later - they have additional leverage if they can get hold of your license.

IMO: Its best to take whatever measures not to let them get hold of your license, smile, laugh, "oh no you don't" !!!... make a joke out of it. I only open my Window 1"... 

That said, each stop is individual, as polite, friendly but firm as you like to be what happens depends on the response of the Police Officer pulling you over, mostly if they see weakness they will capitalize, otherwise they will quite often simply back down... especially if you take the Firm But Polite stance...

the only answer is to protect yourself..thais believe, next best thing to getting in your wallet. is getting in your head.stay cool use silly humour the style they understand,.try not to show anger.. hahaha I know its almost impossible but try..i practice sometimes in lesser situations.....take video ,make copies,witness phone numbers etc etc...its a game and we are the targets.. .when a thai loses control ..checkmate....,.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2017 at 11:06 PM, wakeupplease said:

One minute they are praised on here for being good, the next minute they show themselves and those who praise them up for what they are loosers

what praise for good????? more video online than any police force in the world showing their gross incompetence and corruption nothing would surprise me from these monkeys in uniform

Edited by retirementenquiry