Police lose driver's license at roadside stop then offer no apology

webfact

Police lose driver's license at roadside stop then offer no apology

2am.jpg

Picture: Daily News

PHETCHABURI: -- A video of an altercation in Phetchaburi between a woman and police at a roadside stop is causing much comment online.

The police at the stop took the driver's license from the husband of the woman who had to pay a fine for illegally adapting his pick-up. The license was placed on a table nearby.

After 500 baht was paid for the fine and the couple were waiting for the receipt the police admitted that they had lost the license.

Rather than offer an apology they said that it had been taken by someone.

Arguments over filming developed as the driver's irate wife complained about the situation.

Off camera the police stuffed 500 baht back in the hand of the driver saying that 300 of that was for the time wasted and 200 to get a new license.

Throughout the altercation the attitude of the police was irritable, reported Daily News Online who interviewed the female called Dear. She posted her experience on Facebook saying that her husband did not like to get involved in things like this.

A police spokesman defended his underlings saying they had never upset anyone before.

Whoever took the license was not known and the couple never did get their receipt leaving them in difficulty if they are stopped again before they can apply for a new license.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-06

39 minutes ago, colinneil said:

A police spokesman defended his underlings, saying they had never upset anyone before.:cheesy:

As Delboy would say !!You PLONKER !!

Can't make this up could you Colin. Thai Police the gift that keeps on giving:post-4641-1156694083:

A few years ago same thing happened to me and a few days later to a friend.

Its a scam. They steel these for identity theft.

It was same cop a farang coper .english guy who jacked my friends and mine on seperate days.same check point.

I have this cops name saw him at immigration a few times since. but it did us no good. 

I do not carry my legitimate usa license anymore with me or passport. . I just pay the fine for not having it.

500 bht is a lot cheaper than a flight back to my country and a few weeks waiting for a new issue.

Also once they have you for no license they stop looking for any other issues cause there is always something wrong with a rented bike.

Pretty sad afair corruption from a farang.

14 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

I do not carry my legitimate usa license anymore with me or passport. 

If you have been here for more than 3 months (in most countries)  then legally you are duty bound to get a Thai license. Problem sorted.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

If you have been here for more than 3 months (in most countries)  then legally you are duty bound to get a Thai license. Problem sorted.

It depends. If you leave the country every 90 days (60+30) on a tourist visa your 3 months resets.

So no need to get a Thai licence if you are on a tourist visa and making border runs.

'A police spokesman defended his underlings saying they had never upset anyone before.' To upset someone, they need to be actively doing something, not a typical RTP trait. 

But just how did they manage to 'lose' a licence? And the claim that someone took it shows, at best, the ineptness of the BiB. 

2 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"After 500 baht was paid for the fine...the couple were waiting for the receipt..."

They'll get a receipt right after bank robbers leave a receipt for the money they steal. 

What ???

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Works until you have a serious accident and when the insurance finds out you have been here for a year or so on a foreign licence you could end up seriously unstuck.

Replying to Ulic, not to Vocal Neal. 

Edited by overherebc

Seriously...everyday we are reading about corrupt cops or the inability of the police to do their jobs properly and honestly and about a lot of cops involved in illicit activities, when is the NCPO and General Prayuth going to simply close down the whole Police Force and let the army take over its duties. Use section 44 to close the police force and let all of these cops be jobless plus also monitor these people as suspects for any illicit activities.

"They never troubled anyone before" 

That's the second time in 48 hours when i had the feeling the RTP couldn't find a usual excuse for a situation gone wrong

Yesterday when the three killer dolls were allowed to use make up and no handcuffs i had the same feeling when i saw a police officer had his picture taking next to the killer doll who's face was covered in a whitener mask................i felt my stomach turn....

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Works until you have a serious accident and when the insurance finds out you have been here for a year or so on a foreign licence you could end up seriously unstuck.

Replying to Ulic, not to Vocal Neal. 

You can legally drive here for one year with an International Driving Permit

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

A police spokesman defended his underlings, saying they had never upset anyone before.:cheesy:

As Delboy would say !!You PLONKER !!

Nope. Whatever they do, they can do no wrong, be held accountable or responsible.

And many in the job really do know that, think that and believe that.

1 hour ago, ResandePohm said:

You can legally drive here for one year with an International Driving Permit

The police may let you carry on if you show them your IDP but it still  officially has to be shown along with your home licence as it is just a translation of your licence and shows classes of vehicle you are entitled to drive. On it's own 'officially' it's not a licence. It may be 'valid' for a year but that doesn't mean it's a one year licence.

In Thailand you can use it for three months then in accordance with Thai Law you should/must get a Thai licence.

3 hours ago, Canceraid said:

Seriously...everyday we are reading about corrupt cops or the inability of the police to do their jobs properly and honestly and about a lot of cops involved in illicit activities, when is the NCPO and General Prayuth going to simply close down the whole Police Force and let the army take over its duties. Use section 44 to close the police force and let all of these cops be jobless plus also monitor these people as suspects for any illicit activities.

Do you really think that if the police were made redundant and the army took over, the corruption and illicit activities would stop?

7 hours ago, mok199 said:

immigration jomtiem lost papers of mine a few years ago..and blamed me for not having copies....Thailand where ''SAVING FACE'' is just another 4 letter word...

a couple of years ago I was riding my bigbike in Bangkok when I was waved down by a cop who appeared out of nowhere (not a checkpoint} .He advised me that I was travelling in the wrong lane and that I should pay a 200 b. fine. I told him that he was not going to get any money out of me. With that, he pocketed my licence, ran towards his hidden motorcy and took off, as fast as he could.

When explaining to the cop, who was issuing me with a new licence, what had happened, she just grinned and continued processing me