Rude Britannia: Mysterious effigy of UK PM May says 'up yours' to Europe

webfact

36 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

There are always those with no sense of humor. The morons that put such things up hope to reach those who can never see any funny side. 

Then they know they've hit their target audience.

It is this isolationist Brexit attitude that will be the downfall of Great Britain. If the election on Wednesday goes the wrong way Great Britain is finished and there will be only Little England left after Scotland and Northern Ireland choose their own paths.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have only just caught up with is article, but Reuters are partially incorrect. True it is the Union Flag, But it is not popularly called the Union Jack , it is incorrectly called the Union Jack by many people. It is only called the Union Jack when it is flying from the jack staff of a vessel.

Just now, peterpaintpot said:

I have only just caught up with is article, but Reuters are partially incorrect. True it is the Union Flag, But it is not popularly called the Union Jack , it is incorrectly called the Union Jack by many people. It is only called the Union Jack when it is flying from the jack staff of a vessel.

What has this to do with the OP. It is totally irrelevent

2 minutes ago, peterpaintpot said:

"It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”.

https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Rule Britania, Britania rules the waves, Britans never never never shall be slaves.

Hitler tried it and got his a..e kicked, now the minions in the EU are trying it and will get the same, bye bye Europe.

9 hours ago, pitrevie said:

I wonder what the reaction would have been if any of the European countries had done a similar thing. 

The poms would have laughed. You always need a sense of humour and being totally and anally political correct is not at all humourous

15 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

The poms would have laughed. You always need a sense of humour and being totally and anally political correct is not at all humourous

Then you obviously haven't read many of the posts on this forum. Merkel only has to state some position or other and we have one guy who would be in like a shot accusing her of trying to establish the Fourth Reich. 

16 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

Then you obviously haven't read many of the posts on this forum. Merkel only has to state some position or other and we have one guy who would be in like a shot accusing her of trying to establish the Fourth Reich. 

I have read a few posts and some from poms. Never heard a comment about Merkel and the 4th Reich. Being raised and having free education from former communist East Germany hardly qualifies her for being a fascist.

But I find most poms to have a very seriously funny sense of humour. 

And what is Merkels position. She does not seem the missionary type to me 

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Whatever my nationality may be, Britain would never have been able to return to the continent without the USA.  And the world has the Soviet Union to thank for making Normandy possible. If anyone was the hero in the European theater of war, it was the Soviets who suffered massive casualties in that war and inflicted massive casualties on the Germans. The UK was basically an appendage after Dunkirk and both an aircraft carrier and staging ground for US forces.

And it only took two years and the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour to wake you up.  That was a major success for you wasn't it?

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Well well, another Yank who thinks John Wayne (he was never actually in the military) won the war with a penknife. Yippee kai hey!!

Why the fascination the John Wayne? I have never mentioned him even once until now and that's only in reply to your nonsense. Thinking that John Wayne beat the Nazis singlehandedly is even more silly than thinking that the Brits did. And that's saying a lot. What's more, if you bother to read my post, I gave pre-eminent credit to the Soviets for defeating Hitler. Maybe I'm really an agent for Putin.

8 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Why the fascination the John Wayne? I have never mentioned him even once until now and that's only in reply to your nonsense. Thinking that John Wayne beat the Nazis singlehandedly is even more silly than thinking that the Brits did. And that's saying a lot. What's more, if you bother to read my post, I gave pre-eminent credit to the Soviets for defeating Hitler. Maybe I'm really an agent for Putin.

For a few history buffs. In Britain, Nth Africa and Asia, it was Britain and former colonies that took the brunt of Germany and Japan aggression. And also Russia with the Germans.

Because of lack of military manpower and appeasement, Britain was always on the back foot for two very hard years. US waited, sold military supplies to GB at massive profit.

It took the Japanese attack to wake US up. After that, it was all downhill for the axis powers.

To underestimate Britain in holding the Nazis from oil supplies in the middle east, for providing Russia at an enormous cost in loss of lives and vessels to supply them with military hardware, oil and food is to dismiss the huge loss of lives, sacrifice and contributions that servicemen and the civilians made. And cracking the enigma code that was possibly the biggest solitary turning point in that long ago war.

29 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Credit to the Soviets, credit to the USA (both well deserved) but no credit to Britain and the Commonwealth countries for keeping the Nazis at bay without help for 2 years. Despite the blitzkrieg of London and other atrocities, the British forces (and British people) held on until the USA was forced to join the effort.

If Britain had chosen to allow the Nazis to dominate mainland Europe, and accepted a deal with Hitler, neither the Soviets nor the USA could have saved Europe from Nazi domination. So, credit is due to all participants (even the movie stars who encouraged people to join up and serve their respective countries).

Regarding the OP - British humour can be a bit crass. I'm happy that someone had their 2 minutes of fame, but equally happy that the thing was taken down quickly.

12 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

it's called having a sense of humour, something we are famous for, just look at Diane Abbott!

If I knew Who Dianne Abbot was I would have entered a "like"

So many intolerant and super sensitive skins in all but the British EU. 

Please keep a sense of humour GB.

The fact that so much GB humour is directed at your own selves and country and/or is ironic only shows how anally retentive most of EU is.

And some hugely non humorous posters who seem to have a supreme low self esteem.  

5 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

Pathetically childish. Grow up Britain.

Yes WE ARE We dont want 19 Unelected men making decisions for us in Secret behind closed doors, with no recourse to their decisions  and they cannot be reprimanded for it Yes we Are Growing up fast.

2 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

For a few history buffs. In Britain, Nth Africa and Asia, it was Britain and former colonies that took the brunt of Germany and Japan aggression. And also Russia with the Germans.

Because of lack of military manpower and appeasement, Britain was always on the back foot for two very hard years. US waited, sold military supplies to GB at massive profit.

It took the Japanese attack to wake US up. After that, it was all downhill for the axis powers.

To underestimate Britain in holding the Nazis from oil supplies in the middle east, for providing Russia at an enormous cost in loss of lives and vessels to supply them with military hardware, oil and food is to dismiss the huge loss of lives, sacrifice and contributions that servicemen and the civilians made. And cracking the enigma code that was possibly the biggest solitary turning point in that long ago war.

Uncle Joe won the war over Hitler nearly single handedly while Winston preferred to make speeches than fight. F.D.R. finally put an end to Churchill's nonsense  and opened a western front to ease the pressure on the Soviets. 

2 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

America would lose slightly more than 400,000 soldiers (killed or missing) and almost no civilians during World War II and the USSR, depending on which historian you believe, would lose at least 11,000,000 soldiers (killed and missing) as well as somewhere between 7,000,000 and 20,000,000 million of its civilian ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

The UK would lose 382,600 soldiers and 67,000 civilians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_casualties_of_war

In other words, the Soviets lost at least 16 times as many soldiers as did the USA and the UK combined.

And the civilian ration was massively greater.

Edited by ilostmypassword

Just now, pegman said:

Uncle Joe won the war over Hitler nearly single handedly while Winston preferred to make speeches than fight. F.D.R. finally put an end to Churchill's nonsense  and opened a western front to ease the pressure on the Soviets. 

Really? Other than occupy Japanese islands at the end of the war, Uncle Joe did zip in the Asian conflict.

Uncle Joe never stopped Rommel on his way to the oil fields in the middle east, had almost no impact on the Romanian oil fields.

Uncle Joe relied on most of his supplies being delivered by British shipping to Murmansk.

Russia did create a very good tank. They threw many soldiers as cannon fodder at the Germans.

They also murdered many innocents in so many countries.

To say that Uncle Joe and his totally repressed regime  won the war single handedly is total waffle.

Go back and read how Russia signed a peace treaty with Nazi Germany. Murdered most of the Polish gentry. Raped and pillaged their way through the theatre of war on their way to Berlin.

It is not pretty reading, but with Putin as your leader, I know where you are coming from.

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

America would lose slightly more than 400,000 soldiers (killed or missing) and almost no civilians during World War II and the USSR, depending on which historian you believe, would lose at least 11,000,000 soldiers (killed and missing) as well as somewhere between 7,000,000 and 20,000,000 million of its civilian ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

The UK would lose 382,600 soldiers and 67,000 civilians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_casualties_of_war

In other words, the Soviets lost at least 16 times as many soldiers as did the USA and the UK combined.

And the civilian ration was massively greater.

You quote deaths of soldiers as some sort of  justification to say who wins or loses or had the most impact. 

The US found out in Vietnam that a kill rate does not mean you win a war.

If you make forced mass attacks against defended soldiers as the Soviets did, aided by the NGKD, (not sure of the exact letters) who very bravely shot those who did not attack en masse.

Most western countries had a part in Nazi downfall, and Russia owes a lot to supplies delivered by British shipping and later to US airplanes.

But hell, this is an anti western rant, right. .. you lost your right to intelligent debate here ilostmy passport

37 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

And this was the German solidarity response after the most recent Islamist Terrorism attack in London:

brandenburg gate1.jpg

The British response was to condemn Merkel on her ruthless and idiot scheme to import cheap labour into Europe. From Muslim countries of all places.

Flying flags does not solve the problem that Germany created. And all of Europe has to live with German policies.  

Just now, spiderorchid said:

The British response was to condemn Merkel on her ruthless and idiot scheme to import cheap labour into Europe. From Muslim countries of all places.

Flying flags does not solve the problem that Germany created. And all of Europe has to live with German policies.  

Germany has always been good at flying flags.Check your history

10 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

I have read a few posts and some from poms. Never heard a comment about Merkel and the 4th Reich. Being raised and having free education from former communist East Germany hardly qualifies her for being a fascist.

But I find most poms to have a very seriously funny sense of humour. 

And what is Merkels position. She does not seem the missionary type to me 

Ah you are lucky you missed that gem. We have one guy on here who appears not to realise that hostilities between Germany and the UK ceased in 1945. However just watch any football match between England and Germany and you will soon see that a lot more also still think that way as well. In fact the most recent world cup competition was an education. The Irish and Welsh fans went to watch the football and support their teams but I am not sure what many of the English fans were there for.

18 hours ago, sanukjim said:

Sounds like an European that is not from "Jolly Ole" and is a bit envious.

Wrong. I was born in Oakham, Rutland the smallest county in England and served 9 years in the RAF.

You small minded bigots who fail to embrace the modern global village are without sympathy or respect. 

21 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

That's right. Britain singlehandedly beat the Germans. To this day, their heroic advance at Dunkirk is still remembered.

Who said anything about singlehandedly beating the Germans, the song was written and worded long before WW2, the Brit bashers are out in full force today, I see! 

21 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

That's hard to believe isn't it.....I mean you can not just erect a structure in the UK without about a ton of paper work----the Police could just ask the crane driver....who's paying.?

I think you will find it came originally from the "The Sun" newspaper that might give you a clue!

14 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

You quote deaths of soldiers as some sort of  justification to say who wins or loses or had the most impact. 

The US found out in Vietnam that a kill rate does not mean you win a war.

If you make forced mass attacks against defended soldiers as the Soviets did, aided by the NGKD, (not sure of the exact letters) who very bravely shot those who did not attack en masse.

Most western countries had a part in Nazi downfall, and Russia owes a lot to supplies delivered by British shipping and later to US airplanes.

But hell, this is an anti western rant, right. .. you lost your right to intelligent debate here ilostmy passport

In an unconventional war and colonialist war which Vietnam was, kill rate doesn't mean so much. But in a conventional war it does.  So let's take a look at how many Germans were killed by the Soviets as opposed to other parties. Out of the approimately 1,310,000 German soldiers who were killed during WW2,  1,106,000 were killed by the Soviets.  That's about 85 percent of the total killed.

And to address your other comments both here and elsewhere, I never said that the Russians beat the Germans singlehandedly. I did say that if any one nation deserves credit for defeating Germany, it was the Russians. I did respond to some obvious nonsense coming presumably from a British person who claimed that the UK beat Hitler.

And as for "losing your right to intelligent debate here", really?  There is a venue on thaivisa for intelligent debate? I didn't even know that one existed, much less that I had lost my right to it. Such a crushing disappointment. I guess you must be its moderator since you have invoked a ban on me.