Article, Married Man's Visa

I found this article in the Pattaya Today Paper and it has confused me. From earlier posts that I have read, a visa based on marriage to a thai, requirments are that you only need to show proof of a pension equal to or greater than 40,000 baht per month. If i am understanding this article, seems you need 800k on deposit in a thai bank. Am I confused or have I been given bad info and you do indeed need 800k on deposit for a visa based on marriage to a thai.

The article reads as follows:

A fourth group asked about the changes to the so called retirement visa and married man’s visa which are both extensions of a non immigrant visa. In both cases, the Thai authorities now reserve the right to check that the financial guarantee is kept in the bank for three months prior to application. In the past, some people had borrowed cash just to satisfy the requirements and then draw it out immediately after receiving the visa. If an applicant has only recently put the cash in his or her bank account, immigration will probably give only a “part year” visa and ask to see bank details again later on. Incidentally, the requirement to have a medical letter for the retirement option has been withdrawn. The married man’s visa, unlike the retirement one, can only be granted in Bangkok although the application can be lodged in Pattaya. Again, there will be checks that money in the bank isn’t whisked away too suddenly and evidence of other income is sometimes being asked as well. Immigration police may also visit the family home to check that man and wife really are living together.

I found this article in the Pattaya Today Paper and it has confused me. From earlier posts that I have read, a visa based on marriage to a thai, requirments are that you only need to show proof of a pension equal to or greater than 40,000 baht per month. If i am understanding this article, seems you need 800k on deposit in a thai bank. Am I confused or have I been given bad info and you do indeed need 800k on deposit for a visa based on marriage to a thai.

The article reads as follows:

A fourth group asked about the changes to the so called retirement visa and married man’s visa which are both extensions of a non immigrant visa. In both cases, the Thai authorities now reserve the right to check that the financial guarantee is kept in the bank for three months prior to application. In the past, some people had borrowed cash just to satisfy the requirements and then draw it out immediately after receiving the visa. If an applicant has only recently put the cash in his or her bank account, immigration will probably give only a “part year” visa and ask to see bank details again later on. Incidentally, the requirement to have a medical letter for the retirement option has been withdrawn. The married man’s visa, unlike the retirement one, can only be granted in Bangkok although the application can be lodged in Pattaya. Again, there will be checks that money in the bank isn’t whisked away too suddenly and evidence of other income is sometimes being asked as well. Immigration police may also visit the family home to check that man and wife really are living together.

Hi ncguy

Its a bit unclear because it deals with 1)Retirement visa & 2) 'Married to a Thai' visa. For no.1 you need proof of an av balance of 800k in bank for 3month prior to visa application(it used to be 400k). For 2) you need an income of 40k p.m. and that can be earned by man/wife or both parties. No Bank balance requirements just a lot more 'red tape'. Recent threads would help with other points. Good Luck & Happy New Year :o

I have read your quote three times and still can not find anything about 800k.

Marriage is 40k per month family income with a record of 3 months required. That is the one and only option. Only those already on extensions have any other choice. This is to live with your spouse. It is not a retirement extension of stay.

If you are over age 50 and want to use the retirement extension of stay option you must meet the same old requirements of 800k in bank, monthly pension of 65k or a combination of the two. The only change is that now the bank deposit will have to show a 3 month record at the required level prior to application.

There is no "reduced" rate for retirement if you are married in case that is what you are thinking. Two different ball games.

Hi ncguy

Its a bit unclear because it deals with 1)Retirement visa & 2) 'Married to a Thai' visa. For no.1 you need proof of an av balance of 800k in bank for 3month prior to visa application(it used to be 400k). For 2) you need an income of 40k p.m. and that can be earned by man/wife or both parties. No Bank balance requirements just a lot more 'red tape'. Recent threads would help with other points. Good Luck & Happy New Year :o

I am not trying to be argumentative here, but if av means average - I think that is incorrect. If it drops below 800K Baht for one day - I believe you will need to do some explaining.