Samsung Inverter A/C, compressor not running

Sophon

A couple of nights ago I turned the A/C on in the bedroom, but noticed that the air coming out wasn't really getting cold. Checking on the outside unit revealed that it was not running at all. Since we don't use the A/C much, we have previously had problems with weeds growing into the unit preventing the fan from turning, but this time there was no obstruction and the fan blade turned freely when pushed. Changing settings on the remote made no difference, even on the "turbo" option the outside compressor was completely dead. Turning off the A/C manually using the button on the inside unit also changed nothing.

The next day, before calling the Samsung service centre, I switched off and on the dedicated breaker for the A/C and lo and behold, now the A/C works normally again, which brings me to my question. Does any of this indicate that the A/C is close to failing, or is it likely just a question of the computer running the A/C having been "confused" (possibly because we have had a couple of problems with the electricity supply lately, one time going as low as 10 volt before cutting out altogether)? My guess (hope) is on the latter, and that switching off the breaker made the A/C computer reset, kind of like restarting your computer often solves whatever ails it.

Sophon

I agree, something had become "confused", actually more likely had shut down to protect itself from any mains nasties.

We have a non-inverter Samsung A/C which does a similar thing. It sometimes doesn't like the switch from genset back to mains when the supply returns, nothing else seems to get upset by the blip.

We have 6 month old Daikin a/c in the bedroom and the other night it would not work. My wife rang them up the next day and they told her to switch the breaker off for 30 minutes and try again, and just like yours it worked.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Good to have it confirmed, that this is probably not a bad omen, but just caused by the irregular electricity supply as of late.

Sophon

We did this with our Mitsubishi and it worked for a spell.  Ours had little or no fan as well as not being cool, nor the compressor running outside.  The power light on the unit was blinking as well.  

In short order the power cycling method no longer worked and we needed the Mitsubishi guys to come in and check it and they found a sensor was bad, replaced it and it's running fine.  Our normal guys who come to clean the family's AC's and do maintenance on them here in BKK couldn't figure it out and referred us to the Mitsubishi guys.

c155a1b393899ffd7c36ff01090ce8f5.jpg