Thai wife says five paracetamol killed British husband

webfact

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would expect that an educated man who had reached the age of 52 would know that 1 or 2 paracetamol would be sufficient to deal with a headache and that taking any more than that would be  unecessary and hazardous. Knowing the Thai's ability to bend the truth I think I would wait for as others say the toxicology report. Who knows maybe he had an existing medical problem? 

19 minutes ago, jacknorman said:

He passed out dead in her arms almost immediately and she called police. 

even if she thought he was dead, he might be retriveable like people been under water for 30 minutes, shouldn't she called an ambulance first

Hello jacknorman. Are you still over there in England? Dial 999 and all that?

23 minutes ago, jacknorman said:

He passed out dead in her arms almost immediately and she called police. 

even if she thought he was dead, he might be retriveable like people been under water for 30 minutes, shouldn't she called an ambulance first

You still in London then...?

5 hours ago, nausea said:

A bit young, but I agree with your sentiments. When I go I hope it's this way - quick. Regarding the wife - just hope his affairs were in order,  with a will made, etc.. That's one potential disadvantage of a quick, unexpected death.

Five paracetamol is a bit much but isn't enough to cause death by overdose, so probably some kind of heart problem. Wonder if taking aspirin, as opposed to paracetamol, might've made a difference; I actually carry aspirin on me for just this sort of eventuality.

Also, probably didn't know he had a problem, relatively younger older guys (40s/50s) can tend to ignore health till there's some obvious symptom. I only found out about high BP in my 50s when I had some some dental work done.

The greater potential, nah, REAL disadvantage is that you're DEAD!!  No more great food or drink.   That's as bad as it gets.

Whilst not finger pointing, how many wives know exactly when their husbands last saw a doctor, and exactly what caused their deaths.  I do hope she had no involvement.

53 is waaaaaay too young to leave the 'building'.

Five tablets  are a bit much, and agree that water would have been better, but there is a bit of woo woo going on in some of the posts.
I would not necessarily draw a connection between a headache and sudden severe chest pain. Sounds like an MI, and I have had a couple, luckily not severe enough to kill me.
RIP, and condolences to his widow.

1 minute ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Strange that the wife decided what killed her husband instead of waiting for the authorities to submit the corner's report, Or was she trying a preemptive "action" I ask ?

Don't be so stupid...........Gawd.....

1 hour ago, CGW said:

My take on this, just my opinion is you are treating the symptoms, not the cause, which appears to have been what the was doing? If I had to take pain medication I would want to know why? your body is telling you something is amiss! seriously amiss in this deceased fellows instance!

It depends on how frequently I get a headache which is not that often.

I think that I may need new spectacles as these are 3 or 4 years old and I spend a fair amount of my time on my computer or reading.

5 hours ago, trogers said:

Medication should always be taken with plain water, and not even mineral water.

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013/07/01/juice-and-pills-can-be-a-deadly-mix/

What exactly is "plain water" if not mineral water? The stuff that comes out of the tap is not normally considered to be drinkable and the osmotically filtered stuff is actually dangerous to your health (as it contains no mineral salts) so what the hell is a person supposed to drink if not "mineral water" 

36 minutes ago, franklnooner said:

Wonder what his wife might gain by his death?????

This is thailand after all just sayin.

Never want to be worth more dead then alive in the land of smiles.

Actually you are not "just saying" at all.

Unless you actually know the family and the circumstances you are simply speculating.

How about what his wife lost?

A husband, friend, provider, and all the things that a family anywhere in the world has.

You obviously are either not married, not in a good relationship or perhaps not even in Thailand.

Just saying.

How about that for speculation?

Overdosage is a big problem. More than 200 million persons take acetaminophen each year. Of these, about 200 persons a year die of fulminant hepatic failure from acetaminophen overdosage.[1,2] The median acute dose causing liver failure is 24 g (48 extra-strength tablets).[3] Approximately half of the overdoses are intentional.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/557074

50 minutes ago, spacebass said:

Paracetemol is dangerous once you have taken too many nothing can save You. I always thought about 20 would do the trick but not 5.

after taking too many you have up to 8 hours to receive treatment.

Admit patients with acetaminophen concentrations above the "possible" line on the Rumack-Matthew nomogram for treatment with N-acetylcysteine (NAC). Treat patients with evidence of hepatic failure, metabolic acidosis, coagulopathy, and/or encephalopathy in an intensive care unit (ICU). Transfer patients with evidence of clinically significant hepatotoxicity to a medical facility with intensive care support and liver transplant services.

Early administration of NAC after suspected acetaminophen overdose is most essential. [30] NAC is nearly 100% hepatoprotective when it is given within 8 hours after an acute acetaminophen ingestion. Guidelines from the American College of Emergency Physicians recommend the use of NAC to treat acute acetaminophen overdose in patients with either possible or probable risk for hepatotoxicity, according to the Rumack-Matthew nomogram, and ideally within 8-10 hours post ingestion. [31]

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/820200-treatment

Paracetamol will take a few days to kill and 2500 mg is not a fatal dose, she is lying or just wrong

24g of Paracetamol is generally accepted to be a fatal dose. The lowest amount of Paracetamol to cause death was found by one study to be 10g. As for Paracetamol of 500mg per tablet, it is generally recommended to take no more than 8 tablets (500mg) within 24 hours, and 24 to 30 tablets taken at one time can lead to overdose or even death.

As far as I am aware the wife is not a medical expert. She noted that he took five paracetamol and it may have contributed to his death. It was a statement to the police not a medical opinion.

They don't mention the dosage he was taking. If he was taking the 1mg pills that would have already been an overdose. 
since he took that many pills for the headache, it might have been a brain aneurysm, the elevated stress that comes with the pain could then
have lead to a heartattack.

When you have severe headaches, don't just take some painkillers, go see a doctor immediately.

I lost my sister earlier this year, she had suffered a brain aneurysm and had fluid buildup in her brain. We actually suspect she had a mild one a few years back from which
she recovered without medical intervention (she just plain passed out while eating), doctors in the hospital found dried blood in the brain from an earlier episode.

She was also the type to take extra medication instead of seeing the doctor.

5 hours ago, Orac said:

Surely the headache that prompted him to take 5 paracetamol should be an indication that something was going wrong before he took the tablets.

Headache..just in from working..me think Dehydration...Add to that the weather situation right now..hot and humid.

8 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

They don't mention the dosage he was taking. If he was taking the 1mg pills that would have already been an overdose. 
since he took that many pills for the headache, it might have been a brain aneurysm, the elevated stress that comes with the pain could then
have lead to a heartattack.

When you have severe headaches, don't just take some painkillers, go see a doctor immediately.

I lost my sister earlier this year, she had suffered a brain aneurysm and had fluid buildup in her brain. We actually suspect she had a mild one a few years back from which
she recovered without medical intervention (she just plain passed out while eating), doctors in the hospital found dried blood in the brain from an earlier episode.

She was also the type to take extra medication instead of seeing the doctor.

are u saying 5 . 1mg tylenol pills is an overdose?

Some of these painkillers are Realy powerful . Had some prescription only from a big Hospital. Paracetamol and Tramodol .3 times a day for one week .Took the first one only and was fine for a day..had one more, and no more.. easy to see why he died,rather sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, tonray said:

First taking 5 paracetamol is foolish. Secondly if he was a drinker, 5 pills could have seriously compromised an already stressed liver. This is well documented with this common painkiller. Read the label folks and don't be stupid.

It's a fever reducer.  The medical definition says nothing about pain relief??

If he was lying in the hammock when taking the pills he could easily have "swallowed them down the wrong hole" and choked.  Especially if he tried swallowing them all at once.  This could explain the beating of his chest trying to dislodge them.

RIP - much too young..

Archived